They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

HDVsplit- How to manually split after capture?

Talk about anything here.

HDVsplit- How to manually split after capture?

Postby Peru » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:57 am

I've captured a long clip using HDVsplit and want to split it into two shorter clips.
There is no natural change of scenes, so I can't have it scene detect using the Split Scene feature.

Is there a way to manually split the clip without recapturing as two separate clips?
Peru

Re: HDVsplit- How to manually split after capture?

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:27 am

An option would be to bring the clip into a project and set the work area bar for exporting each portion.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bobby » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:28 am

I don't think so, and I consider HDVSplit somewhat fragile anyhow - i.e. don't use it for anything but its intended purpose.

Just bring the file into your favorite video editor, split the clip in a track, and export the pieces.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:35 am

Further comments on HDVSplit:

The author (Paviko) has not updated his website since 2007. The latest version is marked as a Beta. At one point in time, Chuck had postulated getting in contact with him and checking on the status, but I am not sure what happened,

It does appear to be Vista compatible, and hence probably Win7 compatible, but probably not 64-bit.

I use it (Win7-32), but I don't try anything fancy so as not to stumble across any bugs or problems. I would put it as better than "use at your own risk" but worse than standard shareware/freeware status.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks, Cheryl and Bobby.

I thought of exporting it or splitting it and exporting it, but I thought that I might lose quality.

Yes, Bobby, I agree that HDVSplit is fragile. I'm using XP MCE 32 bit and it sometimes allows me to preview while capturing and sometimes it won't. And I don't turn off the camcorder before I close HDVSplit, or it becomes unresponsive. :pull:

But when it works, it works well. It is also the only free application that I have found that can scene detect HDV.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:43 pm

MpegStreamclip 1.2 will open a .m2t video file from an HV20, and you can set in and out points. You then convert it to MPEG-2 without recompression. Select File > Convert to "MPEG with MP2 Audio." I was able to load that into Premiere Elements 8.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:42 pm

I forgot about Mpeg Streamclip.
I'll try that, thanks.
Peru

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:19 am

I use HDVSplit for capturing. I never use the preview window because of instability. HDVSplit seems to be quite tolerant of mpeg stream errors such as a glitch when you don't start the next scene cleanly. Of the three tapes for my granddaughter's wedding the main, hour long tape had a visible discontinuity in it of about 60 frames and it caused Vegas Studio 10 to crash rather continuously. I have never had success using mpegstreamclip. It, too, is a beta. But to clear this problem capture I used Avidemux. You can set the in/out points to split anywhere. It has always been reliable for me.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler