They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Guitar Story

Talk about anything here.

Guitar Story

Postby Bobby » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Totally off topic, but just a story for my friends.

I was looking around the 'net yesterday. I decided to checkpoint a guitar player that I had found on mp3.com many years ago - Jeremy Mayle. I found that he had a website and some presence on YouTube and FaceBook. But his webpage on YouTube showed that he favored Alvarez by K. Yairi guitars. This rang a bell.

Back in the '60s and '70s I used to play a bit of guitar and keyboards. Never played professionally, but fooled around in a couple of pickup groups and of course played PP&M and Dylan in the dorm rooms.

In 1974 I bought an acoustic guitar from a local music store. I had really wanted a Martin, but they were a bit expensive and the salesman was pushing these Japanese made guitars that he said were very good. The store was a big place in a large metropolitan area and had an excellent rep, so I bought. I have kept it all these years and it is really an excellent guitar and stayed in terrific shape. I take it out of the case once in a while and pick a bit until my fingers get sore and then put it back for another few months or years. And, guess what, it is an Alvarez by K. Yairi.

So I looked Yairi up, and sure enough it has become a very well respected guitar manufacturer. Still all hand made in the same place in Japan, and still each made by a single luthier. I found a K. Yairi forum, and found out that mine is worth about $650 now - more than I paid for it.

So in my retirement now I have promised myself to get those callouses built up again and resume playing. Perhaps less time for video then, but I will work it out!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Guitar Story

Postby cdeemer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:38 pm

B, as a guitar player (as I am, too), you'll enjoy Mary Flower ...
http://www.ibiblio.org/cdeemer/mflower.htm

I have a long video interview with her in a past issue of Oregon Literary Review ...
http://orelitrev.startlogic.com/v3n1/OLR-flower.htm
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm pretty sure my daughter has an Alvarez. I have a Manuel de la Chica classical guitar which I unfortunately don't play much anymore -- largely due to arthritis in my hands. I studied classical guitar and still enjoy it. But, I also pretty much enjoy all acoustic guitar and played my share of folk style. I still enjoy PM&M and Dylan, but I especially enjoy Blues guitar.

Charles, I enjoyed the interiew with Mary Flower. Thanks for posting the link!
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:10 am

That is a great story Bob, the kind you don't hear every day that's for sure.
I have played a number of instruments over the years, mostly drums and violin but picked up a little guitar along the way.
I currently have a $99 Hohner acoustic, yes the same people that make the harmonicas :)

If I had my choice, and unliminted funds, I would go out and buy a Gibson Les Paul electric and a Taylor acoustic, there I go, dreaming again :)

By the way, we love these kinds of 'off topic' topics, anytime :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:21 am

These are truly great stories, Bob. Like finding buried treasure!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bobby » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks all for the comments!

Charles: I appreciate the Mary Flower story - nice style.

Bob: I am still amazed at how much we have in common yet! Fortunately I don't have arthritis (yet) at 62 - no visible signs or deterioration of finger movement - just slow and dumb! But I never took guitar lessons, only piano and not too much of that.

Chuck, I remember Hohner guitars. I don't think I had one, but I had a Harmony nylon of the same period. I do also have a Les Paul kinda repro, and an old amp sitting in the closet, but that gets used even less than the Alvarez! I think that is due to go to my grandson soon. I did play a 12 string electric solid body in one of the groups I played in - tough to play!

Steve: Yes, buried treasure is almost exactly how I would describe it. Although I felt the quality of the guitar was good, I was no expert. It was nice to hear I wasn't "taken" back then.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Interesting. I bought a Hagstrom solid body 12 string back in the mid 60's and thought it was a great guitar. I eventually sold it around 1980 to a guy in a local country group. Anyhow, I took a look, and reviews of the Hagstrom are also excellent, and the recommendation I saw was that if you find one, buy it! Too bad I sold - coulda had two classics!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler