They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Fun, Fireworks, Family and Food

Talk about anything here.

Fun, Fireworks, Family and Food

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:06 am

This has got to be my favorite USA holiday of all - The 4th of July, Independence Day ! (not a bad movie either)

I hope everyone has a safe and fun holiday weekend !!!

Last year I watched fireworks in Carrolton, Georgia and got attacked by hundreds of fire ants, not fun.

But it was otherwise a great night; watching the fireworks as they shot up from behind the Waffle House.
When they exploded it lit up the sky, and the roof of the Waffle House were many people had gathered :)
I do have most of this on video too. The Waffle House is kind of a tradition in the south, there is one on almost every corner, just like churches.

There are Fireworks displays in my area tomorrow night, Saturday night, and then again next Saturday night - Yippee :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Fun, Fireworks, Family and Food

Postby Clayton » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:16 am

I will have both my sons and family (9 grandkids) Mother, MIL, BIL and anyone else who shows up (Donna?) over for b-b-q and swimming. Luckily there are local fireworks which we can see from sitting in my backyard. :-5
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:07 pm

Happy "4th July" to our US cousins... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:02 pm

Clayton,

Are you inviting me and the clan over or do I get to travel alone? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We usually go to the community center and listen to Johnny Dee and the Rocket 88's.. They have good oldies and do a good show... The girls can run around and we don't have to worry about them...We can see fireworks from several cities..Lots of fun.....

I hope everyone has a safe and blessed holiday...
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:45 pm

Adding my wishes for a happy and safe Independence Day celebration.

Living in coal country, during the 1970’s “big coal boom”, each summer all the coal businesses closed down for 2 weeks- the week before and the week after July 4. From the time our kids were toddlers till graduation, we camped in the woods, swam in the creek, hiked, fished, picnicked and watch fireworks at least one full week. The kids and their friends were content to take only their Barbie Dolls, hula hoops, balls, bikes, and books. Now with grandchildren (13, 15, 20, and 22) everyone goes their own way and leave the old folk at home. They don’t know a thing about camping in the woods or swimming in a creek. They need a motor home, cell phone, laptop, mp3 player, 4-wheeler, 93 friends, and someone to run to the fast food restaurant 5 times a day.

Today we still live in the same rural area and still have to drive at least 15 or more miles one-way to see any commercial fireworks. Given that this is our worst traffic accident holiday, I know I'll feel safer at home. Swinging on the porch, watching the baby goats, listening to birds chirping, and watching the grass grow. And thinking no sunburns, sore feet, bug bites, and whining children.

Having said that, I guess I'll just have to get into that chocolate stash!
Maxine (not our Beth) has met her match!
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Wheat King » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:37 am

Happy Fourth to US folks! We've finished our Canada Day celebrations on Tuesday (July 1) Attached is a picture I took and edited of the day event that our community association put on. We had pony rides, bouncy castles, BBQ, a small train, games... The kids had a great time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:09 am

Love the picture, Jamal, but I wish you'd have posted it at about twice the resolution so we could see more of the details.

Hope you had a great Canada Day!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:25 am

I agree with Steve, great shot Jamal, but we would really like to see more :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:49 pm

Here's a higher quality version!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Doreen L. » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:36 pm

Happy Independence Day to all my friends here in the USA. It is, indeed, a most special holiday.

Chuck - I love Waffle House. Unfortunately, we don't have any in my neck of the woods but we always stop by one when we're down south.

We celebrate Independence Day (or I should say July 3rd) in a big way at the northern Jersey shore. We have a huge fireworks display (over 30,000 shells) on the Navesink River right in front of boat club in the mooring field. A barge is brought up the river and and all the boats have to tie up to the docks (up to three boats deep). At the park next to the club, the festivities start around 3 with live music and all sorts of food stands and games. A rock music station from NYC plus a local radio station broadcast live from the area. About 150,000 people come to Red Bank to see the show. We have relatives and friends from as far away as North Carolina come for the holiday (everyone left this afternoon. I'm exhausted). We watch the fireworks from our boat and the coressponding music is played on the loud speakers from the park. It's an incredible experience.

More important than the fesitivities, this year one of our members is serving in Iraq and he sent an American flag that was signed by all the troops in his platoon to our boat club. We had a ceremony before sunset paying tribute to him and his fellow soldiers, lowered our American flag and the blue star flag, replaced our flag with the flag from Iraq and then raised it along with the blue star flag. The ceremony was very moving and a reminder of how lucky we are and how gratful we are to our fellow citizens who are serving our country.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Chuck, My favorite is their pecan waffles. Yum Yum!

Around here, they had fireworks last weekend. That's too bad because we were in Hershey PA. At least Hershey had fireworks.

Since there are no fireworks around here this weekend, we watched the Macy Fireworks on TV. They were not bad, but there is nothing like actually seeing them in person.

Maybe we will see some next weekend. We are going down to Doreen's neck of the woods, down the shore. We will be spending Saturday at Point Pleasant Beach.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Hey Jamal, I think you Photoshopped that Canada Day pic... I mean, where's the snow? Where's the ice?? Where's the maple syrup??? :-8

Seriously, though, Happy Canada Day to our northern neighbors and Happy Independence Day to the the US of A!!! Remember, it's the "ideas" of America that we celebrate: the belief that we shall call no man King, the concept that our individual liberty is restricted not by government but only by our own responsibility for our actions, and the promise that anyone can come from anywhere and work hard to enjoy as much success as their own abilities can bring. Many Americans have made mistakes and our politicians have made mistakes as all men do, but America herself is still the last, best hope for humanity's freedom.

We took Alex to see his first fireworks show, and his little face lit up brighter than any of the pyrotechnics! I can't wait until he's old enough to understand the meaning behind Independence Day!
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:26 am

:lol: It's not photoshopped but rather... The snow... well everybody brought their hairdryers to the park... We spent the morning melting snow so that we'd have grass to celebrate on. (amazing how quickly it greens up when you put a little sunlight on it) The ice... truth be told... there was hockey game going on right behind where I took the pictures... (outdoor rink) Maple syrup... It's there. If you zoom in close enough you'll see some people holding can similar to the Coca Cola Cans or Pepsi Cans you might see in america and other parts of the world. You see Maple syrup is our national drink... (Ok beer is) but on our national holiday we all drink maple syrup from a can. :mrgreen:

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. We've got great weather up here was just about to take the sled dogs out for a walk... :-s
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:29 am

Jamal, great job on the Canada pic!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Clayton » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:24 am

ridon127 wrote:Clayton,

Are you inviting me and the clan over or do I get to travel alone? :lol: :lol: :lol:

We usually go to the community center and listen to Johnny Dee and the Rocket 88's.. They have good oldies and do a good show... The girls can run around and we don't have to worry about them...We can see fireworks from several cities..Lots of fun.....

I hope everyone has a safe and blessed holiday...
Donna

Sorry Donna, I didn't log on over the weekend. Sure your'e invited. :---) Oh... thats already passed hasn't it. :oops:
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Water Cooler