They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

An easier way to return to a previous page

Talk about anything here.

An easier way to return to a previous page

Postby William Tranter » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:29 am

Ron - Is there an easier way to return to a previous page than having to use the 'Back' button at the top left of the Internet Explorer screen? I've searched all over each window for the Forums, the Gallery, etc. but there's no 'Back' button (or similar wording) anyway that I can find!
Very good website, and crammed full of helpful advice - reading everything keeps me occupied for hours!
All the best,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:05 am

Hi Bill,

Everyone has different "surfing habits". There's really no set rule or navigation scheme to abide by other than what you're used to. If you want to get the full benefit from the forum, for instance, don't use the back button, it won't "read" the cookie and mark a topic read (until you close your browser or navigate elsewhere).

And no, there's no "built-in" back button anywhere at muvipix. But, I guarantee you that you can get almost anywhere from anywhere - the menu at the top and bottom is always visible.

And as far as the forum is concerned, it really depends on "how" you got here. The way I do it (everyone is different) is to arrive at the forum and I look for the "new" topic indicators Image I click on the forum header (title of the forum), then click on the new topic "view newest post" indicator Image to view the topic. Then after reading the post, I select the forum title header again (in this case it's "Water Cooler") and that takes me back to the list of topics as though I hit the back button, but now the cookie is read and the new post indicator is reflected as such and disappears indicating that I have personally read that specific topic or thread.

If you notice, the gallery and the forum are a similar navigation style. It's controlled via a nested hierarchy. In other words, it's just like navigating your file manager, clicking down the folders until you reach the file you want. Going "Back" to where you came from usually means clicking on the next level in the hierarchy. Or conversely, if you want to go to the very "Top" of the structure, you can always do that as well. Like I said, everyone is different and I do know some people that use the back button exclusively and you're really not allowing the "cookies" to work because you're viewing a history page rather than the newest page available.

It goes much deeper than that, but that's a quick explanation and I hope you try experimenting different ways to surf specific sites releasing that paradigm you seem to be stuck in :-D
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby William Tranter » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:54 am

Many thanks, Ron.
All the best,
Bill
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:01 pm

Ron,

Once I am within a specific topic, is there any way to position myself at the first post of that thread that I have not previously read?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:15 pm

Barb O wrote:Ron,

Once I am within a specific topic, is there any way to position myself at the first post of that thread that I have not previously read?

Yes. Again (I may not have been totally clear), click on the "view newest post (orange'ish) indicator; circled in red. Here's what the indicator looks like -

Clicking that image should take you to the most recent unread post.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Barb O » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:52 pm

thanks Ron - I did not realize the significance of that icon and I had been clicking on the text name of the tread.

Barb O
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Clayton » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:56 pm

Me too. Thanks for the heads up!
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler