They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Tape and disc storage- a silly question...

Talk about anything here.

Tape and disc storage- a silly question...

Postby Peru » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:21 pm

It seems like a silly question, but...

I have a dresser which has drawer bottoms of made of aromatic cedar board. I would like to use these drawers to store my DV and VHS tapes and DVDs and CDs.

Would the cedar have any long term archival effect on these media? img0442
Peru

Re: Tape and disc storage- a silly question...

Postby Wheat King » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:47 pm

Plastic Storage boxes are what I've seen recommended, but not sure of the cedar thing. I'm sure someone else will chime in as well.

http://thedvshow.com/faq-pro/index.php? ... 017&id=528
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:32 pm

It's not a silly question. I would be very concerned about the chemicals in the aromatic wood migrating into the plastic of the DVDs and CDs.

BTW, archival storage can get rather esoteric if you want to persue it far enough. I think individual thin plastic jewel cases, stored on end rather than flat, away from sunlight, as temperature-stable area as you can get - about sums up the best recommendations.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:50 pm

I would be very concerned about the chemicals in the aromatic wood migrating into the plastic of the DVDs and CDs.

BTW, archival storage can get rather esoteric if you want to persue it far enough. I think individual thin plastic jewel cases, stored on end rather than flat, away from sunlight, as temperature-stable area as you can get - about sums up the best recommendations.

That makes sense. I guess I'll find something else to put in there. Maybe those 5 1/4" floppys and the DOS for Dummies book. Or more socks.
Peru

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:01 pm

My grandmother told me that aromatic wood for clothing storage was very effective for keeping out weevels (sp?) which just loved to eat natural fibers. Its great for wool and perhaps cotton. You can protect just about as well and a whole lot cheaper by buying a bag of aromatic cedar chips. Man-made fibers will not draw weevels and it's easier and more effective to store natural fiber clothing in plastic storage bags made especailly for that pupose.

My, what you can learn on a techie forum! :-
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler