They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New graphics card

Talk about anything here.

New graphics card

Postby William Tranter » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:37 am

I wrote recently within these Forum pages about difficulties I was experiencing with my Matrox Parhelia 128 graphics card not giving me v.3 shading (whatever that is!). Although Premiere Elements would work without any problems, if I wanted to 'play' trains on the new RailSimulator program (only recently released in the USA), the program wouldn't run. Couldn't understand why not, because the Parhelia card was quite a recent update into my computer. Anyway, it has now been changed to an nVidia GeForce 7800GS OC (overclocked!, and it feels like it - the heat output is huge!), and everything is now working perfectly.

The card is considerably deeper than the Parhelia graphics card, and because my motherboard only supports AGP graphics cards, my computer guru had a difficult time finding a card which would support output to (at least) two screens (I need the real estate for video editing!), version 3 shading for my RailSim program and would still work in an AGP socket. Eventually he found my board and fitted it last Friday. I've tried most of my programs which use lots of graphics and found no problems whatsoever, though setting it up took longer than I thought it might.

I've put up this topic because there may be other computer users in this Forum who come across this problem, and are looking for a similar solution.

Anyway, I'm pleased, and it wasn't too great a hit on the credit card! Now I'm back to video editing and preparing the skeleton of my next holiday video. I usually set up a blank video project with a Black clip right at the beginning (to ensure a break when dubbed to videotape), put in my 'intro', then design a title, choose title music, load up any still photographs I might use in the project, etc. and save, save, save (you can never save enough! - the times PrEl has seized up on me are countless, not to mention the computer itself, so before beginning editing of a new clip, I always save, and I save after any particularly difficult bits, like clips which have lots of filters applied. Some clips require over 6 or 7 filters to give me the desired result, especially clips taken with a very wide angle lens fitted to my camcorder. I then use the 'lens distortion' filter to remove the distortion, usually use Perspective filter to lessen the 'leaning in' of buildings when shooting upwards, Sharpen filter, quite often Colour correction filter, not to mention sound filters, and my poor old computer struggles a bit with everything applied, hence the save situation!
Anyway, I'm off back to my favourite program, Premiere Elements.
All the best,
Bill
Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: New graphics card

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:06 am

Nice tip, Bill!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: New graphics card

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:50 pm

Happy to hear that you got the new video card issue resolved, Bill. Keep on truckin'. :-D

PS. It is a while since we saw some examples of your travels in the gallery. :cry:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Water Cooler