They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Epson Mistake

Talk about anything here.

Re: The Epson Mistake

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:50 am

Does any one use lacquer to protect the printed surface on DVDs? If so any type of lacquer or just general purpose? And any tips on applying it?
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:36 pm

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jeffterm » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 pm

One more thought on printing full disks, otherwise known as the bleed area. The absolute outer edge of the disk and inner edge, I use hub printable, but even these have a small amount of UNcoated area where the ink will NOT adhere or dry. I've let full printed disks sit for days trying to dry and still come back with a tissue wipe the inner ring and get the innermost 1mm of ink off the plastic. Hence, I have altered most of my disk art to reflect this need. I avoid complete coverage of dark art where the edge would be most prevalent.

Again - most of these detail are only noticed by us, the ones making the stuff, and most people will still love and be amazed by what we present to them. I am still getting raving reviews from my last distrobution, on how professional the packaged looked. Everything matched: Printed disks, cases, inserts. Full color everything. - my response is mixed: Gee thanks, I'm glad you really like it, but then again why are they so astonished my work looks that good? What were they really expecting? does wonders for my self esteam.

Note on spray: Yes I clear coat with a spray from Wally-mart. I even think the brand and details were posted here in the forum. I don't remember off the top of my head. I lay out a dozen disks on a mat, and LIGHTLY spray from a foot away. 2 coats.
jeffterm

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:38 pm

Thanks Chuck, thanks Jeff. I have printed quite a few discs and generally handle them with care. But I noticed that with a little water the ink just runs. I'll have to start spraying them with lacquer. :)
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:18 pm

-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Well, I made a decision, and decided to order carts for the R220 rather than buy something new. I didn't find anything I liked at a price that I liked, and also factored in that the current carts were in fact low and Epsons don't do head cleaning well with low ink levels. Also staying with the Epson let's me keep all the setup and templates I have created.

Supermediastore had two sets of remanufactured carts for $50 with ship, so I took the plunge. If I can clear the clog when I get them, all is well. If not, I may be selling two sets of carts, one slightly used!

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:54 pm

Paul LS wrote:Thanks Chuck, thanks Jeff. I have printed quite a few discs and generally handle them with care. But I noticed that with a little water the ink just runs. I'll have to start spraying them with lacquer. :)

I just ordered some new disks. I was wondering whether these would preclude the need for the spraying with lacquer?

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yu ... indle.html
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:18 am

Looks interesting... not cheap though.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:22 am

Paul LS wrote:Looks interesting... not cheap though.

Yeah, I understand. However, If I relied on myself to religiously apply the lacquer, I would fail. I was also intrigued by the high gloss claim. The previous disks were more of a flat/matte finish. Besides, my wife gets nervous when I paint on the dining room table :shock: . Something about overspray and cleaning up after myself. So in this case I rationalized that it would help maintain marital bliss. That's my story and it is sticking to me.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jeffterm » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 pm

$5.00 can of laquer is cheaper :) But please let me know if they work. I am under the impression that it is the ink that breaks down with water spray, so how can the disks protect the ink? ? I may be wrong, and often am. :)

Before I started spraying disks, I made a Hannah Montanna montage disk for my daughter who left it by an open window during a rain, now it looks like the incredible melting, but extremely colorful Disney character. Disk still plays great, but.....

Keep us informed a the splash test works.
jeffterm

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:44 pm

I will give it a test and let you know how it goes.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Well, I got the two sets of remanufactured carts. Interestingly, they were single in boxes and not all from the same (re)manufacturer. But the three I put in (including Black) went in fine and seem to print fine.

The black ink showed no blocked nozzles after the initial install. This confirms what I remembered from the past about Epsons - if the cart is low, it will not clean the nozzles even if the ink monitor does not show that the cart is empty.

Anyhow, all is well, for now!

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:00 am

jeffterm wrote:$5.00 can of laquer is cheaper :) But please let me know if they work. I am under the impression that it is the ink that breaks down with water spray, so how can the disks protect the ink? ? I may be wrong, and often am. :)

Before I started spraying disks, I made a Hannah Montanna montage disk for my daughter who left it by an open window during a rain, now it looks like the incredible melting, but extremely colorful Disney character. Disk still plays great, but.....

Keep us informed a the splash test works.

I received the new disks. They worked great. I ran the disk through the epson. Printed a couple lines of text. Waited 60 seconds and turned on the faucet. No runs, no drips. It seemed to work ok. The surface has a slightly higher gloss than some of the other printables I have seen. Now to back off from printing to the edge of the disk....

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Water Cooler