They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

General Sports Chat

Talk about anything here.

General Sports Chat

Postby Wheat King » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:00 pm

Since there's a few sports fans in the community I thought I'd start a general thread for sports talk. Most of you know I'm a big fan of the Ottawa Senators, we've also got a good junior team in Ottawa (the 67's). Grew up in Sask so I follow the RoughRiders. RIDER PRIDE!!! (won the Grey cup this year) Will watch NFL and golf as well but not quite as serious a fan.

What is everybody doing for the NFL games tomorrow.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: General Sports Chat

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:30 pm

I will be glued to the TV from the kickoff of the San Diego/New England game, through the Packer/Giants game.
As long as my wife will let me that is img0253

Go PACKERS :)
img0345
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Stregga » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:39 pm

Sorry bout the Packers Chuck...Not!!! LOL :lol:
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:48 pm

That's ok, if the Giants play like they did against the Packers they won't win the Super Bowl.
They both were not playing very well, maybe it was the weather, maybe not, but I have seen both teams play much better than they did last Sunday.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Stregga » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:06 pm

Chuck,

Were you watching the same game I was? I mean if it wasn't for that fluke pass that Driver caught the packers wouldn't have ever scored. I mean how many 3 and outs did they have? You are right though, both teams have played better, but if the Pats play against the Giants the way they did against the Chargers, they wont' win.
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 pm

If the Giants miss 2 field goals they won't win either.

The Packers were second in the league in Passing and total offense behind the Patriots, they average 27.2 points per game, fourth in the league, the Giants average 23.3, who was closer to their average?

The Packers have made plays like the one you refer to on a pretty regular basis, especially this year, partially due to a veteran quarterback :)

Believe me, neither team looked that good and if the Giants don't step it up they won't win the next one ;)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Stregga » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Ouch! You sound like a devout Packer Fan Chuck, good for you. Actuly I like the Packers, not to mention Brett Farve. The guy is awsome.

However, while the Giants would have lost had they missed 2 FG's, the Packers would have never gotten the game tying FG had it not been for the stupidity of Sam Madison getting into a senseless fight on the other side of the field which gave the packers the first down. Furthermore, don't forget that the Packers won the toss, and the Giant's got into field goal range 3 times, twice in which they missed and the third that finally did the Packers in. So the "Better Team" had more than enough opportunities to win the game. The Giants may not be an offensive powerhouse, but they have been playing consistent footbal as an all around team. Furthermore they took the Undefeated Pats to the wall in the season ender. They by no means dominated the Giants, and remember that the Giants were leading for a large protion of the game. So while they didn't win, they are by no means going to be a pushover. The odds are stacked up against them, but they have a chance.
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:28 pm

I would like to see the Giants win the Super Bowl, just saying that if they played the way they did against the Packers they won't do it.
Both teams in the Packer/Giants game made some bad mistakes, can't happen in the Super Bowl or you will get creamed :shock:

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:40 am

I want to see the Giants win just so I don't have to deal with the obnoxious fair-weather Pats fans (if you're a lifelong Pats fan, then this doesn't apply to you). I'm talking about the guys who will show up at the sports bar next season in their brand new Brady jersey, claiming to be die-hard Pats fans, but if you checked their closet you'd find Manning, Warner, Favre, Elway and Aikman jerseys gathering dust and chronicling their fickle team support. Is it really that hard to pick a team and stick with them? I won't give up being a Dolphins fan no matter how awful they are.

There is one great thing about the Superbowl... it marks the beginning of the best time of the year in sports! We are 7 weeks away from the biggest weekend in auto racing, with the 12 Hours of Sebring on 3/15 followed by the Grand Prix of Australia on 3/16, then a few more weeks and we're in the NHL playoffs!
Wheat King wrote:Most of you know I'm a big fan of the Ottawa Senators

Looks like the Sens are pulling a fair lead in the East, but they will have to deal with the West's powerhouse Red Wings to get Lord Stanley's cup... Ottawa and Detroit may be tied in GF but Alfredsson has to get past the brick wall of Osgood/Hasek if he wants to get his name on the cup! I don't think my Avs are going to do it this year...
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Wheat King » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Sens are leading the East because of a great first couple of months, but I would not be surprised if a couple of teams overtake them in the second half. There seems to be something missing this year. It's been great watching Alfie this year. He's really stepping up. Leading the league in scoring going into tonight games.

Avs would be doing much better if it weren't for injuries. Sakic, Smyth. But on the positive side. They're still in the playoff hunt despite having those two guys out. Hey anything can happen in the playoffs once you get in.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:42 pm

Yeah, but it's getting in that's the hard part. Of course, the Northwest, Southeast and Atlantic teams are separated from first to last in their divisions by 8, 7 and 5 points respectively. Now that's what I call parity! And as you said, anything can happen in the playoffs, which is why I don't get much sleep with all the double and triple overtime games... there are only 2 things that I will stay up into the wee hours of the morning to watch: the 24 Hours of Le Mans and playoff hockey!
img0200 img0237 img0235
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Clayton » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 am

jackfalbey wrote:I There is one great thing about the Superbowl... it marks the beginning of the best time of the year in sports! We are 7 weeks away from the biggest weekend in auto racing, with the 12 Hours of Sebring on 3/15 followed by the Grand Prix of Australia on 3/16, then a few more weeks and we're in the NHL playoffs!

Personally I agree with the first part of your statement, except my favorite time is "the boys of summer", :-5 that is as soon as the Mitchell Report is finished. :---)
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler