They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

They said it would happen – and it did!!

Talk about anything here.

They said it would happen – and it did!!

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:12 am

You might remember that in 2015 I had a dramatic fall resulting in 2 fractures in my arm. That was just one incident on my list of dubious ‘achievements’ – which also includes spending a week in a quarantine cabin when I got covid in the Alaskan bush in 2022! Forward to 2023…

How many times over the years were you told, “Don’t do that – you’ll break your neck!!!”? Probably way too many times to count, right?. Well, five weeks ago I did do “that” and, sure enough, I ended up in the ER with a fractured cervical vertebra. OUCH! More precisely, it was one vertebra that fractured in two places. Make that OUCH OUCH!!

After a couple nights in the hospital I was sent home in a hard collar that must be worn for at least 7 weeks, followed by another CT scan to determine the progress of the healing.

To be clear, I was very fortunate. Like my previous fall, I was able to get medical attention quickly. Surgery was not needed. I have support from my family. I’m hoping to have enough sick and vacation time to see me through the duration.

So what exactly was ‘that’ risky activity which resulted in my vertebral fractures? Nothing dramatic like skydiving, rock climbing, or practicing my triple axel. No, like last time, I was walking – this time I was simply walking thru my house and next thing I knew I was crashing toward the floor. It was a traumatic moment that, just like after my previous fall, I keep reliving in my mind...shortly after my release I watched "Home Alone” and had to cover my eyes during the scene of Kevin careening down the stairs and flying out the door on his sled…nooooooooo!!

THANK YOU to STEVE for posting his 2024 Elements Basic Training videos. I’m able to comfortably watch them while propped up against pillows, with my kitty by my side.

Yep, I’m the lady who spends weeks at a time in Alaska, safely walking near large wild brown bears, but I’m not safe walking in my own house. Good grief. BUT things are better than they were 5 weeks ago and I am grateful!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: They said it would happen – and it did!!

Postby Peru » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:41 am

It's so sad to hear of your misfortunes. I hope you have a fast and successful recovery.
I'm sure your positive attitude will help.
Peru

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:24 pm

Jeez, Sherrin! What a mess!

I'm so sorry you're laid up for 7 weeks -- but glad to hear there is no serious permanent spinal damage.

For what it's worth, I"m working on a new batch of tutorials. But I hope you find something a bit more binge-worthy.

Take care of yourself. I'm sure healing after something like that isn't easy. But I'm sure you'll be walking back among the brown bears soon.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:51 am

Sherrin, you have my genuine sympathy and I hope that you are soon up and about but could I suggest (with tongue very firmly planted in cheek) that you take more water with it. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:20 am

Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery and that no surgery will be needed, what a crazy life you lead Sherrin :eek:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:36 am

So sorry to hear of your fall. It can happen so quickly, and so glad yours didn't result in anything more devastating. Please take care of yourself, heal completely, and don't get hooked on those YouTube videos. They're like trying to find the end of the Internet ;) . Hope you're soon back to Alaskan adventures.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:12 pm

Wow Sherrin! What a fall! Wishing you a speedy recovery. You've had the bear in Alaska adventure and sadly now this. Didn't you travel to Iceland a few years back? Hope you are feeling better soon!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:38 am

Oh wow, Sherrin! Ouch is right! I'm feeling bad just reading about it. I'm so glad it wasn't more serious than it was. Here's wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

Bob

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby ed » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:32 am

Praying for you. Get well.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby videovillageidiot » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:27 pm

Thanks for all your concern, prayers and good wishes – it really does help. You all are so wonderful!

I came up with a list of tips in case this should ever happen to any of you (and I certainly hope you’ll never need them!!!!!)

Do not do this in summer – wearing the collar can get very warm. It has kept my neck comfy on the few cold occasions I’ve had to leave the house. I just have to block the opening in the front if it’s really cold or the wind is blowing.

My kitty wears a bell and that’s been a good thing. It alerts me she’s headed my way before she gets underfoot, since the collar prevents me from looking down.

Straws are your friend since you can’t tip your head back to drink – and I’m only drinking milk, juice, hot chocolate, or pop (soda to you, Steve), at least until I’m steadier on my feet! LOL

Food should be cut into small pieces since the collar and pain won’t allow you to open your mouth very wide. Fortunately, M & M’s (which my daughter-in-law always remembers I love) are the perfect size.

Remember the Frugal Filmmaker stabilizer from a thread back in 2013? I had made one using PVC pipes and I‘ve used some of the pieces to make a hook to grab clothes out of the washing machine. Muvipix forum to the rescue!!!!!!!

I need to be more like this bear I saw last summer and stand on my own 2 feet!
https://youtu.be/XnXyapxpCR0

Peru wrote:It's so sad to hear of your misfortunes. I hope you have a fast and successful recovery.
I'm sure your positive attitude will help.

Thanks! At the very least I am positive I need to be more careful. These things go wrong in an instant!

Steve Grisetti wrote:Jeez, Sherrin! What a mess!

I'm so sorry you're laid up for 7 weeks -- but glad to hear there is no serious permanent spinal damage.

For what it's worth, I"m working on a new batch of tutorials. But I hope you find something a bit more binge-worthy.

Take care of yourself. I'm sure healing after something like that isn't easy. But I'm sure you'll be walking back among the brown bears soon.

Thanks Steve. I’m so grateful when I think how much worse it could have been.
I’ve truly enjoyed your training videos – I’ve wanted to work on some Alaska things and some of the new features may just inspire me!! And I don’t need binge-worthy – I just need something that isn’t cringe-worthy. Anything with people getting hurt is pretty awful. Your videos are completely safe!

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Sherrin, you have my genuine sympathy and I hope that you are soon up and about but could I suggest (with tongue very firmly planted in cheek) that you take more water with it. :-D

Thank you. Funny you mentioned “tongue in cheek” – because the collar keeps my jaws fairly tight, I keep biting the inside of my mouth. Another reason to never do this again!

Chuck Engels wrote:Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery and that no surgery will be needed, what a crazy life you lead Sherrin :eek:

Haha!! Yeah, some of my weirdest adventures certainly weren’t meant to be risky!!
Thank you Chuck!!

Dave McElderry wrote:So sorry to hear of your fall. It can happen so quickly, and so glad yours didn't result in anything more devastating. Please take care of yourself, heal completely, and don't get hooked on those YouTube videos. They're like trying to find the end of the Internet ;) . Hope you're soon back to Alaskan adventures.

Thank you Dave. Not sure when Alaska will be possible again…For now, I’d be happy just walking safely in my house. LOL

momoffduty wrote:Wow Sherrin! What a fall! Wishing you a speedy recovery. You've had the bear in Alaska adventure and sadly now this. Didn't you travel to Iceland a few years back? Hope you are feeling better soon!

Thanks Mom!
Yeah, I went to Iceland in 2013. I don’t think I had any accidents there, but I sure remember some close calls. The winds were so strong and there I was at the top of waterfalls, walking through a geyser area, and standing at the top of a cliff, peering down to the ocean below. Fortunately, it was the waves that were crashing against the rocks, instead of me! I’m amazed nothing went wrong on that trip!! LOL
Ahhhh, memories…

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/77266091

Bob wrote:Oh wow, Sherrin! Ouch is right! I'm feeling bad just reading about it. I'm so glad it wasn't more serious than it was. Here's wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I’m hoping the new CT scan will show the fractures are mending. I’ll be doing some physical therapy (for balance and fall prevention) when I can go without the collar. I’m thinking a good exercise would be to go to a McDonald’s play area and be pushed repeatedly into the ball pit so I can learn how to be relaxed when I fall, instead of tightening up and falling over like a Redwood!!

ed wrote:Praying for you. Get well.

Thank you so much, Ed.

Being at my computer is still a little difficult so it took a while to put this response together. Thank you all!!!!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:55 pm

Ahh I now remember your Iceland video. Wonderful filming of the scenery with the high winds! Beautiful! Reading your reply above, you will heal fast with your good outlook.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Water Cooler