They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Uncertain future for Filmic Pro

Talk about anything here.

Uncertain future for Filmic Pro

Postby sidd finch » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:35 pm

Kind of a sad development. They had a great app that worked really well. Looks like the Blackmagic app is now the app to use.

Italian app development company Bending Spoons has laid off the entire team behind the FiLMiC Pro (Filmic Pro) app. The staff was laid off in November.

It’s a shame that such a popular and well-respected video camera app appears to be at risk. Following the unpopular move to a subscription model, the actions Bending Spoons took towards the Filmic team may alienate the wider filmmaking community even further. In addition, Blackmagic Design recently released a free camera app for iPhones based on its own acclaimed cinema camera OS. The Blackmagic app supports recording to an external SSD and has been used by Apple for filming its promotional events. This new competition may make Filmic Pro’s future even more uncertain.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Uncertain future for Filmic Pro

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:32 pm

Yes, I agree it's a shame. I used it extensively when I was using my phone for video. Then when I went primarily to the GoPro it was no longer very important to me except for my phone still pictures. When they went to the subscription model I deleted it and never looked back. Something has to be really important to me to pay for a subscription. Subscriptions will nickel and dime you to death if you let them. Suck you dry. YouTube is doing their best to make me pay a crazy subscription amount mostly for features that I don't care about. Mostly I don't want to watch ads when I'm using YouTube, and would be willing to pay a reasonable amount per month or year for that. But to be ad-free now includes a whole lot of other stuff that costs a lot of money that I won't use. Bah, humbug. We'll see how this goes, but I suspect they won't get my money in the end and I'll end up not seeing a lot of things that I do enjoy now.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:01 pm

Count me as a +1 Dave could not agree more.

When they went to the subscription model I deleted it and never looked back.

If you had the Filmic pro app the do have a free app called Filmic Legacy that is version Filmic Pro v6 (their last before subscription). Filmic Legacy is available only to filmmakers who paid for Filmic Pro v6 before the 25th of August, 2022. It will continue to receive bug fixes but will not receive any new features.

I now primarily use GoPro and insta360 whose apps are free. Renting software is not really a viable option for me.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:17 am

sidd finch wrote:Renting software is not really a viable option for me.Sidd

+1 for that. Doesn't fit with my usage frequency which is why I am still on CS6.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:49 am

John you might wanna check out the blackmagic free app. does most of the same thing filmic pro did. There is a comparision here:

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2023 ... ilmic-pro/

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler