They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Creek Fishing

Talk about anything here.

Creek Fishing

Postby ed » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:05 pm

So this past year I've had some health issues (I'll live) and haven't been able to play golf or go back packing. I was cleaning out the garage a few months ago and found my old fishing rods, and some of father's old rods (which I used for this video). I've been fishing small neighborhood and local office park ponds at least once a week. There is a small stream in back of our neighborhood that I've also been going to. It's got a nice hiking trail that goes 10 miles down to the Potomac river and the C&O Canal. I think I'm the only person fishing this creek. Brings back my childhood.

ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Creek Fishing

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:29 pm

Looks like a lot of fun, Ed! I haven't been fishing in a long time. There's a guy on YouTube who has a channel he started about 6 months ago called Tenkara addict. It's kind of fascinating. I'd never heard about Tenkara until learning about his channel. A very simple and minimalist type of fly fishing. Here's one of his videos if you're interested in checking it out.

Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:59 pm

Thanks Dave, I subscribed to his channel and will check it out tonight. About 4 years ago I cut down and stripped some bamboo in the neighborhood, and have it drying in the garage to make can poles for my Grandsons. The oldest just started 2nd grade, so maybe a few years away on that.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:19 am

Ed that looks like a lot of fun, and you seem to catch a variety of fish. Do you have to have a license to fish there? I bet once your grandson gets old enough it will become a fun way to spend some good time together.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:15 pm

ed wrote:Thanks Dave, I subscribed to his channel and will check it out tonight. About 4 years ago I cut down and stripped some bamboo in the neighborhood, and have it drying in the garage to make can poles for my Grandsons. The oldest just started 2nd grade, so maybe a few years away on that.

Sounds good. Hope you have some quality time with the grands.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:18 pm

sidd finch wrote:Do you have to have a license to fish there?

Don't answer him Ed. It's a trap!

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:48 pm

Don't answer him Ed. It's a trap!

AhhhAAAAAA.... so you admit your name is Ed..... Your honor I have no further questions.... :hyst:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:14 pm

Ha Ha! Yes you do need a license, but in another year it will only cost me $5 to fish in fresh and salt water.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:43 am

Dave, I watched a lot of his videos, and others, on Tenkara fishing. My thoughts; it's cane pole fishing with a packable rod. I thought about it, but I have quite a few fly rods including my Dad's rods (which are nice) and a backpack fly rod, so don't really need one. It is a nice inexpensive alternative for small stream fishing though.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:47 pm

Loved the video Ed. Fishing brings back my childhood too. Went fishing with my Dad many times The last time was a few years before he passed. Of the 5 children I think I was the only one that went fishing with him or had an interest. When he passed he left me all of his gear. Too much stuff! I gave rods and tackle boxes to my daughter and niece who like to fish. I have boxes of old lures. Most in their original boxes. Not sure what I will do with them.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:42 am

ed wrote:Dave, I watched a lot of his videos, and others, on Tenkara fishing. My thoughts; it's cane pole fishing with a packable rod. I thought about it, but I have quite a few fly rods including my Dad's rods (which are nice) and a backpack fly rod, so don't really need one. It is a nice inexpensive alternative for small stream fishing though.

My thoughts exactly. Nothing new under the sun. Having said that, I still enjoy Tristen's laid-back style and the pleasure he gets from the small things in life.

Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:28 am

Thanks Mom. My Dad was an avid fisherman, mostly trout fishing in the streams where we lived and in central Pennsylvania. I couldn't eat fish for years because we had it so much as kids :) He's 90 now, and he told me where he wants his ashes distributed when the time comes; in Owens Creek - one of his favorite streams.

I would hang on to his old stuff in case your kids want it to remember. Otherwise there is a big market for old lures on Ebay and other places. I don't have it in my heart to sell his stuff.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ed » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:17 am

Blew off work at 4:30 Friday and went fishing at a small stream near me. I used to fly fish it a lot when a lived I few minutes away from it. It's a dam tail stream that has a population of wild trout and hasn't been stocked in about 30 years, catch and release. I had smaller trout flash my lure, but the water was very low and clear and they could see you. Could only get two casts per fishing spot and did catch a couple small ones. Caught this with a small black and bright green jig standing above a steep 8' bank with a deeper channel, so couldn't see me. This may be the biggest truly wild trout I've ever caught in Maryland.

trout.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:04 pm

That's beauty, Ed! Nice!

Dave McElderry

Postby ed » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:51 pm

I went fishing at Seneca Creek [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_Creek_(Potomac_River_tributary) ] on Saturday. In Maryland the main trout stocking is in the Spring, but they actually stock all year. They put out 400 trout into the creek about 2 weeks ago, so I wasn't to hopeful on catching any, but I know there are holdovers. I did see a trout flash my lure, and waited about 10 minutes to try again with no love.

I did catch some bigger creek bass though.

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0901.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Water Cooler