They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Roll Call

Talk about anything here.

Roll Call

Postby Cinde » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:42 pm

Have we ever had a roll call? I used to be a moderator for the "Work From Home Moms" bulletin board at iVillage where we had roll calls on occasion. Regulars would update everyone on what they were working on. Newbies would introduce themselves. Lurkers would decide to register and join in the roll call. At Christmas we would share our "wish list". It was a great way to break the ice and get to know our fellow members.

I hope others will join in, especially those who read our wonderful forum but have never posted. It's really easy and FREE to register. I see we have 400+ members and only 59 of us have introduced ourselves. Although it's not a requirement, we have a great place for you to introduce yourself. viewforum.php?f=19
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Roll Call

Postby Cinde » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:43 pm

I'll start.

I'm Cinde. I work exclusively with still photos. I started out doing memorial videos. I added a new client this week and now have a total of 4 funeral homes where I am "on call" to do memorial videos. I recently started doing family reunions and weddings.

My wish list. :reindeer: :santa: First and foremost... to renew my paid member subscription to MuViPix. I have never found anything that gives me so many free things for such a reasonable price of membership. I was a member of MuViPix before I even had my new computer and software to do my first video.
The Second item on my wish list is a Wacom graphics tablet.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ridon127 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm Donna.

I am a grandmother raising two severly ADHD granddaughters, ages 6 & 9. I do more photography than videos. Since I have found this growing community, I have become alot more interested in the video. I have done some videos for family and a few for friends. I work full time as a Special Education Assistant at a private school in Houston. I also do interpreting for the deaf. This is a really great place to learn and meet some really talented artist.

I have thought about posting this idea and then I think no, but,it think this is a good opportunity to do it. Since there are so many talents here, I was thinking for Christmas, everyone post something...A card, Christmas video, some people have other talents like singing, storytelling etc. Wouldn't it be fun to share our other talents as a gift to each other?? What do you think. Plus this would put a name with some of the faces here and learn more about how our friends from other countries celebrate.

Christmas wish list, I just hope I continue to have good health to get these girls grown. As for as other things, I can't think of anything I want.
Donna
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:38 pm

Thanks Cinde for the thread. I make things for friends and family. Started out editing last year with daughter's college grad video with WMM. Got PE3 in Jan and found this site in Feb. Would have given up on editing without all the help I received here. This year I have learned how to make a new folder :) among many other things. When I got PE3, had no clue that I needed a few things so picked up these items along the way: got a firewire, photoshop El5, 2nd hard drive, larger monitor, upgraded the comp., a tripod, a few books (Most important the PE2 in a Snap!), started a notebook with tips from here, and lastly a Wacom. Don't know how I lived without that. Went to Best Buy one day and they were getting rid of the instore Wacoms for 40%off and now only carry the item online. I may hang out my shingle next year after we have an empty nest, have already been asked to do a project for someone and they offered to pay.

Wish list would be a scanner. I have a borrowed slide scanner and should return it :) Want a scanner for pics, slides, and film and that can also scan a book page. :reindeer: Upgrade my video card. Also, more time to pursue my new hobby.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Clayton » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:43 pm

I'm Clayton,
I am retired (Mostly), and I proscratinate . I have 9 grandchildren from 11to 3 (the lights of my life).I have mostly been working on sorting, improving, and catorgizing my 5K+ photos from the last 4 years since I had a digital camera. I also finally have labeled and catorgized my 50 or so video tapes from the same time period. I also have now about 20 or so hours of 40 year old 8mm digitized and sorted. When I started out I got in with a bang. I got Premiere Pro 1.0 and actually did several videos for my church. We were a Red Cross center for Katrina and I did several Sweetheart banquets. Then I kinda lost my motivation. Since joining this forums and reading every thread, my interest is sparked again. My big goal is to put all videos on dvd and create slideshows of all my photos (the only way my wife will ever see them, so she says). I now have The elements 5 and Prel 3 package and CS3 Creative Suite Production Premium package. So I have all the tools and all the knowledge in the known universe (Muvipix) at my finger tips. So I have run out of excuses for doing nothing. My new years resolution will be to stop procratinating and get busy. My first project will be a memorial for my son, and then on to the fun things. I have videos/photos from Alaska, Panama Canal, Australia and New Zealand and Maui calling my name. Remember the old tavelogue late at night on TV, called I believe, "Far Away Places", well I have enough material to do one of those.... enough rambling. Next up.

\:D/

ps. for Christmas, I want "Mrs. Twosheds" machine.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Don Whitten » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:45 pm

Good idea for the thread.

My current project is going to be an ongoing type of thing. I am starting a series of DVD's that I will release over time called: "Warriors for Christ". I have some great footage I assembled over this past year on a couple of people that I have been documenting and am just now starting to edit it into an intersting dvd project.

My wish list for next year would just to be able to continue with what I am doing and for God's blessings with everyone I come into contact with, either here on the web or in person.
Don

Asus Laptop F3jp T7200, 160 gig 7200 rpm HD, 2 gig ram, ATI X1700 graphics and various other stuff
Don Whitten
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:54 pm

Grisetti here.

And, for nearly 20 years now, I've been creating an annual video showcasing my family's highest highlights from the past year. I use the DVDs as Christmas cards or family newsletters. I send out a couple of dozen at Christmas.

I've come a long way over they years, from trying to edit by recording tape deck to tape deck to primitive NLE editing -- to where we are today. I don't think anyone but my parents watched our early tapes, and even then grudgingly. But the DVDs are so much fun that people are already asking about this year's!

I put a lot of effort into really doing a great-looking piece. (You can see me talking about it on Adobe's Premiere Elements 4 page.)

I've been editing this year's since early October, and it includes graphics, music, interviews, maps and lots of guest stars. Once I wrap, I'll be glad to post a segment here, just for fun.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:21 pm

Hello, I am Chuck Engels. Married in 1979 to my beautiful wife Criss, we have 4 children (ages 24, 23, 21and 6) and 1 granddaughter.

Great idea for a topic Cinde, thanks for starting it.

About 4 years ago I decided that it would be nice to put my old VHS and VHS-C tapes on a DVD, and it would also be nice to edit out all the bad and boring stuff (80 - 90% of each tape).
Since then Steve and I have written a book or two, helped lots of people on the Adobe U2U forum and others, with help from people like Ed and Ron we have opened 3 web sites and I have started editing videos professionally. Wow, that sure is a lot in less than 4 years :shock: Now we have Muvipix.com, I couldn't be happier with the way it has turned out and with the reputation that we have here :)

Helping others to have as much fun as I have had editing home movies, along with creating videos myself, are a couple of my favorite things.
I hope to continue doing this for a long time to come.

I currently have 3 wedding videos to edit, a Father Daughter Dance to finish, a Slideshow for my Wife to put together of her and her brothers growing up (she has 5 brothers and 1 sister), and then there is my project that keeps getting pushed aside for another day. My project is all about growing up in the 60's and 70's, and becoming an husband and father in the 80's. Lots of TV clips and music, I have been collecting clips and music for the past two years. There are a couple of other projects that I have started also, really have to finish those some day :oops:

I am very thankful for all of the folks here and for how much fun you all are, this is a great community :)

I don't have much on my wish list, maybe 'World Peace' (definitely if I was running for Miss USA), just for Muvipix to continue to be a place that people enjoy coming to and that we continue to give you the best value possible :-D
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby estherlouise » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:34 pm

My husband and I are retired parents of 5, and grandparents of 7. I include my husband in this bio, because he lets me do whatever I want to on the computer. I've been playing with video editing since early spring 2006, when someone asked me if I could do it. I really hated saying no! :roll:

After buying a digital camera that is also able to take videos I decided that something needed to be done with them. I started out with PE2, then 3, now 4. I became aware of Chuck and Video in a Snap when I bought that book when I purchased PE2. I got more from the book and his website tutuorials than any other way of learning. I am glad to see this website and forum is very active. The programs have gotten more complicated so I continue to grow in knowledge here.

My grandchildren requested that I take all their old VHS tapes and put them on DVDs, and in fact, bought me the ADS Pyro A/V Link, IEEE cable and card! I have only finished one (they try not to nag me), but everyone wants me to do some other project first.

I am very interested in photography and digital scrapping, and am envious of my brother's DSLR. So maybe that would top my wish list. Or maybe a WACOM? Does Chuck have a new book in the making?
Esther
Premiere Elements 15; Elements 15; Photoshop; Lightroom
Canon 70D
estherlouise
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Jayell » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Fascinating reading through all of these and getting to know a little about those that contribute.

I started doing vacation videos (Panama Canal, Columbia River) .. then moved onto a video of Dad's life as he moves into Alzheimers .. struggling with a video of my brother's life who only lived 22 years. Someone recently converted a 16-year old VHS trip down the Grand Canyon for me, which I edited, added music, stills, effects, and will be a surprise Christmas gift to the couple we made the hike with. I do what I call 'silly videos' for a couple friends who do NOT have computers (can you imagine?) to show them all the silly videos that folks send each other through email. Now I'm thinking of going back and taking old vacation photos and turning them into videos, although that seems rather overwhelming at times. But I know I'll watch the DVDs, but would seldom flip through the photos again.

I'm retired and have no idea how you folks that work find the time for this! I've had a couple offers of video for pay, but prefer finding my own way of sharing what I have and making people smile. I don't know what I would have done without MuViPix .. this is an amazing place!! I hope you guys that put this together (and those that contribute) realize how much we appreciate what you've done .. from the freebies .. quick responses .. help along the way .. and just a warm friendly place. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Christmas wish list only includes giving me the strength and helping me find my way through caring for an aging husband, mother, and father. We've sort of stopped doing Christmas lists, as we realized being with family and friends IS the gift.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Kerrie » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:52 pm

Hi, I'm Kerrie and I am a part time nursing instructor and mother of a 7 year old son and almost 5 year old daughter. I did my first video of my grandparents lives for their surprise 80th(s) birthday party about 4 years ago. Once I realized how wonderful it was to preserve memories on a DVD, I was hooked. I did a video for our 5th wedding anniversary and have done little things as birthday parties and summers. My biggest adventure was making a 30th anniversary of our youth hockey organization. I had never done a video where I didn't know all the "players" involved. It was fun and frustrating at the same time....I tried to stay positive thinking how much I learned in that video with the PrE 3 program to apply to my fun family videos. So, now, I am doing the fun things again. I use to do the scrapbooking thing, but found putting the memories on DVD is just easier and I can share with more people that way! I am going to try and put a DVD together this year of our family events versus the usual holiday letter. Then, I hope to catch up with some overdue vacations, birthdays, and sporting events! It something that I never get bored with....I just wish I had more time!

I am thankful for my husband........who can technically be labeled a "computer techie" (I guess geek is no longer the term, huh!). He saves me with all the computer issues I have encountered, and because of him, I can keep my creative juices flowing and make my videos (mostly stills, but starting to add more video!). On my wishlist is a book of "cool effects"! I see so many neat things here and everyone has been so wonderful about sharing them....I wish it was all in a book, so I knew how to get those neat effects.....and maybe throw in a DVD with presets! :-D My New Year's resolution is to finally post a few of my videos!
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Spot » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:02 pm

Good call (pun intended) on this post Cinde! Great time of year to wake everyone up a bit.

I am the father of 6yr old triplets and so have plenty of raw material to work with (stills and DV) but simply no time to do it! In may this year I produced a video surprise for my sister's 50th birthday party which was a huge success. So much that during the party I was getting offers to do more from many of the revellers. Unfortunately...no time!

My problem is I love to try new things.... so trying to learn After Effects at the moment and also the free 3d modelling program called Blender (steeeeep learning curve!)

I do have in my mind the desire to try doing some work for $$ on a word-of-mouth basis when the kids are older....

Wish list? mmmm Another hard drive is becoming a need more than wish! My JVC 510 DV camera is a bit tired so a nice shiny new one would certainly be near the top of the list.

Lastly I would like to sing the praises of this place. Simply fantastic help, support and ideas all served with a great dose of good humor! Just love it.

Cheers everyone

JB
Woof
Spot

Postby Helen » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Hi Helen here and I am a stay at home Mum with three daughters. I originally got PE so I could transfer all our video tapes onto dvd, but so far haven't had the time to do that. Maybe next year I will have the time.
My eldest daughter turns 18 next year, so my next project is to make a dvd for her birthday highlighting events from the past 18 years. I have hours of footage and heaps of still photos, but, I first have to finish my current project a wedding dvd for my sister-in-law.
My preference is still photography, but I do enjoy making the dvds as well and it is great that I can combine the two with PE. I thank everyone on this site for the help I have received in the past and I especially would like to thank Chuck, Steve and Ron for all the wonderful templates and backgrounds they have created. They make my projects so much better. =D>

My wishlist is to have more time to create all the projects that I have planned in my head for so long.
Best wishes to everyone and happy video editting.
Helen
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:24 pm

estherlouise wrote:Does Chuck have a new book in the making?

Steve and I have decided to put all of our efforts into this site, Articles, Tutorials, Tips and Tricks, Steve's Film School...
We can do a lot more here than we could with any book, besides, no one has asked us to write one 8-[

Will will continue to do tutorials and articles, as well as answer questions, and keep this site up and running with Ron's help.
We have a great group of moderators and friends here, I don't know if there is anything that the people at muvipix can't answer :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mark hansen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:14 pm

My name is Mark, father of three and grandfather of 2. I'm retired from the Air Force but still working as a medical software instructor/consultant.

I started with video editing for my daughters wedding. My first project was a diapers to dating show of her and her husband. I also made a tribute to my son and nephew who couldn't be at the wedding because my son was in Afghanistan with the Special Forces and my nephew was in Iraq with the USMC. it went from there.

The hardest and most rewarding show I made was for the 4 guys in my son's unit that didn't make it back during his first tour. Boy, those 21 guns are hard to listen too.

I posted some of my latest work - a conference slide show. I couldn't post more because I told them I wasn't going to put it on the internet. we have some shy people in the group. the conference in 6 months is coming and I plan on doing another one. I have also done stuff for my grandson and I am converting VHS to DV tape and DVDs.

My hobbie time is torn between video editing and flying flight simulators on line.

I enjoy the board to get ideas on what to do with pictures and video. Its been very helpful both in the creative area (what to do) and technical area (how to do it).

Thanks for the help and Happy Holidays to everyone.
Mark
mark hansen
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Next

Return to Water Cooler