They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Was contemplating making Firefox my primary browser ...

Talk about anything here.

Was contemplating making Firefox my primary browser ...

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:16 am

... as it has the following exceedingly-useful icon:

feature.JPG

For folks like me, who like to copy and paste the actual web article into a Word document that can be saved -- as opposed to saving a mere link to that article -- what this feature does is remove all the extraneous matter from the page before copying.

:yh:

However, upon being informed that an update was urgently needed, I encountered:

1. Numerous full-page popup ads and

2. The following window:

Flash.JPG

:eek:

which does not occur with IE11 running on Windows 7.

::wav::

P.S. Google's Chrome scares me as I've been informed by numerous experts that "to use any Google product is to give up too much privacy."

:meet:

Are there any recommendation, suggestions, thoughts?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Was contemplating making Firefox my primary browser ...

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:29 am

Using Chrome is no more giving up your privacy that signing up for Facebook. Although I know a lot of people who won't do that either.

I love Chrome. It's fast and I love how it gives me "continuance" with my Android devices. In fact, I can even control my desktop computer remotely with my phone. You get something similar with an iPhone and a Mac, but Google's software does it at a fraction of the cost.

That said, it's hard to find a bad browser now. Microsoft Edge (which replaced Internet Explorer in Windows 10) is also fast and less clunky than Internet Explorer and FireFox is also very good. And, if you're really a rebel, there's a Windows version of Safari and, believe it or not, the old standby Opera is still available, and it is every bit as good as the others.

You really can't make a bad decision these days. The competition has forced them all to up their game.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:41 am

I've actually been going back to IE. That is the only browser I have on my work computer and after updating to Windows 10 I have stuck with it except for on of my machines that has Chrome and IE.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ron Hunter » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:16 pm

I liked Chrome until I opened Task Manager and saw 6 instances of Chrome running, but I only had one browser tab open. It seems like a resource hog. Can someone explain that for me?
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:24 pm

George,

I use Firefox. I like it.

I think there are settings that can disable popup ads.

I think there are settings that can stop videos from auto playing when you open a page too. I've looked into that one once but didn't feel well enough to go all the way through it at the time.

I know FF has the ability to allow you to see images on the internet with color management when those spaces have been saved with the file by the author. On my high intensity color screen that is marvelous. You can see what I'm talking about here by hovering your mouse of the tagged and untagged images...

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

When/if I get a message that anything has stopped a potentially dangerous situation I'm glad to hear it and back out of there.

I did not sign up for Chrome because it looked to me like they were going to require my name, email addy, etc. There have been times when I've wound up on internet pages I'd just as soon no one was keeping a record of the fact that I was there. (don't look up "Little Women" and leave out the 'by Louisa Alcott!')

I know FF does do some tracking because when I play solitaire I get ads that must be targeted to me because it will be items I've recently looked at online. Or something similar - and I've actually wound up buying the something similar before, so that doesn't bother me so much.

Good luck in your search.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Using Chrome is no more giving up your privacy that signing up for Facebook. Although I know a lot of people who won't do that either.

I'm one of those people with no Facebook account, Steve. And my Google/Android Smartphone is in my wife's name, as is the required associated G-mail account. :cool:

Thanks for the reply.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:06 pm

_Paz_ wrote:I know FF has the ability to allow you to see images on the internet with color management when those spaces have been saved with the file by the author. On my high intensity color screen that is marvelous. You can see what I'm talking about here by hovering your mouse of the tagged and untagged images...

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

I tried that and was glad to see that IE11 also seems to be color-managed. Thanks for sharing that.

I did not sign up for Chrome because it looked to me like they were going to require my name, email addy, etc. There have been times when I've wound up on internet pages I'd just as soon no one was keeping a record of the fact that I was there. (don't look up "Little Women" and leave out the 'by Louisa Alcott!')

Exactly why I, too, did not sign up. BTW, I really loathe the fact that, if I wish to comment re some web articles, I must first have a Facebook account -- but not so much that I am willing to sacrifice my privacy.

I know FF does do some tracking because when I play solitaire I get ads that must be targeted to me because it will be items I've recently looked at online. Or something similar - and I've actually wound up buying the something similar before, so that doesn't bother me so much.

Not long ago, I looked at some merchandise on Amazon -- after which they repeatedly popped up on FF, so that I another reason I'm sticking with IE11.

Lastly, I don't know what to do with that Flash player window that I don't see with IE11. The only time I use FF now is when I wish to use the Video Downloader app.

Thanks for your reply.

:tup:

Good luck in your search.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:46 pm

FYI, you don't need to create a Google account or log onto one to use the Chrome browser.
Bob

Postby _Paz_ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:26 am

Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:51 pm

I, for one, love Firefox. I've had to use MS recently with my upgrade to Win10 and I'm not crazy about it. The only reason I was forced to use it is ViaAMD has not come up with a driver for 10, and I've messed up my audio trying to locate a decent streaming video screen capture. Netflix doesn't like SilverLight in Firefox. Boo Hiss!
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:12 pm

I don't like Microsoft Edge, that is the default in Windows 10. Was quick to get rid of that and go back to Internet Explorer and Chrome.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler