They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Turn you iPhone into a DSLR...maybe

Talk about anything here.

Turn you iPhone into a DSLR...maybe

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:00 am

An interesting iPhone add on a 3.8 oz (108 g) and 2.65” (6.9 cm) tall, the DxO ONE has a f/1.8, 32mm equivalent aspherical lens with a variable six blade iris and a 1-inch, 20.2 MP CMOS BSI sensor. DxO One connects to an iPad or iPhone via Lightning connector. Once hooked up, the Apple device’s display becomes the viewfinder for the DxO One. The camera can then swivel +/- 60°. Cost = $599

http://www.videomaker.com/videonews/201 ... slr-almost

And like all good things that look too good to be true:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ste6xVBw4[/youtube]

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Turn you iPhone into a DSLR...maybe

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:46 am

Better to put your money in a good medium quality dedicated DSLR. :---)
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:21 am

Regarding the "big lie" video clip.

What the guy says may be perfectly true. Shame that, to me anyway, it just comes across as a disjointed rant :( rather than a considered criticism.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:34 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:Regarding the "big lie" video clip.

What the guy says may be perfectly true. Shame that, to me anyway, it just comes across as a disjointed rant :( rather than a considered criticism.

Agreed. I watched until he started screaming and I quit. I got the point, but he didn't further his credibility by the way he made his presentation. :-8
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:21 am

he didn't further his credibility by the way he made his presentation

Agreed. The guy seems to have a bunch of videos so I am not sure if this is just his shtick to get attention. While the concept seems pretty cool, the iPhone is just a glorified monitor. If I was going the smartphone rout for picture taking I would like to just keep the smartphone as the primary tool. I was a little suspicious when the write up included:

the DxO ONE can be tossed in a backpack or thrown in a pocket

I am not sure you would ever use those words if you were trying to push the DSLR connotation. :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Just for fun, I went over to the DxO site and read the blurbs. They keep touting their 1" sensor over and over, but I found it interesting that when I pulled up the actual specs DxO listed it as '1" format', whatever that means, with an actual sensor size of 13.2x8.8 millimeters. Also, the lens is 11.9 millimeters which they list as 32 millimeter equivalent. The camera gets a base DxOMark rating of 70. If the 4 exposure stacked "superRaw" feature is used, they rate it up to 85.

Since the Nikon D7200 was brought up, lets compare: the Nikon D7200 sensor is 23.5x15.6 millimeters. The base DxOMark rating is 87. The D7200 doesn't have the proprietary superRaw feature, but, the current version of LightRoom can stack multiple raw exposures for any supported camera and output a combined raw file. I would think that would be very similar to what you could get with superRaw. I would expect that a similarly processed stacked D7200 set of exposures would have a much higher rating as well. Not elsewhere mentioned, the DxO One has a base rating for dynamic range of 12.6 EVs, the D7200 has a base rating 14.6 EVs. That's even higher than the processed stacked DxO One's rating of 13.3 EVs.

The DxO One is not a bad camera, but its marketing is certainly misleading.
Bob

Postby Peru » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Bob wrote: misleading.

...at best.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Regarding the 1" sensor format, see the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format. There's a table in the article several pages down that has most of the formats (aka Type).

My Kodak Zi10 video camera is a 1/3.2" type, similar to an iPhone 5.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:49 am

Thanks, RJ.

I knew about the size in relation to a video tube convention, but it simply did not register in my mind in this case. Possibly because that convention is primarily used with video cameras and they were comparing it to a DSLR which typically doesn't use that convention. Nikon uses this sized sensor in the Nikon 1 but they refer to it as a CX format as compared to a DX or FX format. Or, maybe I'm just getting old and absent minded. :conf:

For those reading this that aren't familiar with the video tube sizing convention that refers to the use of vacuum tube photo sensors (for example, a Videocon tube) in the days before semiconductor sensors became available. The size was simply the outside diameter of the glass tube containing the photo sensitive target. The actual photo sensitive surface would have been about 2/3 of that on the diagonal.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 am

I think for me I would be more interested in attaching an optical lens to achieve my desired effect. The iPhone 6 has a pretty decent camera already so I would have a hard time purchasing an additional $599 attachment.

Sidd
sidd finch

Return to Water Cooler