They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

NEW TRIPOD

Talk about anything here.

NEW TRIPOD

Postby Bubby Grub » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi All,

A quick question, can anyone out there suggest a good brand of tripod without it be to over the top in cost. Anything I can
buy here that is any good is really expensive. I do have one very good tripod, but at this stage I can't remember the name of it,
as it is at home, and I am not there at present, it was purchased many years back duty free in Fiji. The second one I have that
I carry around with me, is a cheap one, and I mean it is rubbish, when opened up to its full height, put it this way you don't
want to trust it. Looking for something I could purchase on line, but need any suggestions as to what is a good brand of one I do have a couple of table top ones, but this one I want for outdoor use and a good height.
Thanks in advance BG ::C
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: NEW TRIPOD

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:37 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToVeESkSgmE[/youtube]

Inexpensive is relative. This guy says he has tried lots of tripods - video heads, and this head, in particular, is extremely smooth for the money.

This one is the FC-270-A

I think I paid about $130. (I usually wait for a sale!) The price listed here for both legs and head is still under $200 US.

The brand name can be "Fancier" or "Cowboy Studio." They have many models and getting the correct model number is important because some of the legs have plastic parts that don't hold up.

http://www.cowboystudio.com/

Notice the difference on the feet of these two: They're both FC-270, but I have the FC-270A
Easy to see the difference in the feet. If memory serves, the tripod without the A is the one with the plastic parts that break easily.

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/fc-270a.htm

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/fc-270tripod.htm

I bought this one based on a video this guy, Nitsan Simantov, had out previously.
I've used mine many times outdoors. The ball type function of the head makes it very easy to set up and get the head level on un-even ground. My only complaint - due to the way the head functions, the ball joint type action which makes it so easy to set up, it cannot and does not have a crank to make it taller and I personally could use legs that are a little longer. I've read that there ARE longer legs available from the manufacturer, I just did not know that when I bought mine.

This particular head has a counter balance mechanism that works wonderfully well. It has a quick release plate that can be attached to the camera/camcorder first, making it safer to get the camera aboard. The company also sells additional quick release plates. I bought extras for my other cameras so I can easily switch back and forth simply by pushing a button, pulling one camera out and sliding another camera in.

They are made in China. Shipping to Australia might not be too bad.

This monopod seems to be well loved by people who have them. It has a foot with a pivot point. Apparently it is easy to pan. Not having used one, I'm not sure I'd really trust it if I let go of the camera.

I've read about a head that people love to use with this one, but at the moment, I don't remember which one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YM58XK/ref=s9_wish_gw_d25_g421_ir01?ie=UTF8&colid=3LS69OA1U01H1&coliid=I2Y4I2MMQ6AFVO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_r=1ZYWYCKS317H4NG6VWNC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939031&pf_rd_i=507846

I might have seen a YouTube video about this foot with a particular head combo. If I remember, I'll come back.

The Frugal FilmMaker has a very tall video tripod that does have a crank. I'll see if I can find his vid on that.

HTH,

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Found the Frugal FilmMaker's "Tripod Tricks".

He says he's 6'7" tall and this tripod is plenty tall enough for him. (I'm 5'8" and like I said, I wish the legs on my Fancier tripod could be taller. I've thought of selling mine and buying the longer legs set from Cowboy Studio directly. Still, with the Fancier/Cowboy studio legs, it is important to get the all metal ones.)

He says this is a Bogen 501 head with Manfrotto 3046 sticks. I have not checked prices, so I have no idea if this is more expensive than you want, but since Mr. Grub is rather tall, it might be something the two of you would find interesting.

I found the Tripod Tricks interesting! ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DND7Du5oeKY&list=PL1A4BD76D99D24E2A[/youtube]
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bubby Grub » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Hi Paz,

Thanks for the detailed response, will definitely check it out. I found a few on line yesterday, but once they were opened up
to full height did not like the look of them, kind of gave me the thought I would be worried about the camera being on it outside.
All made in China, and the shipping is fine. Thanks again now I feel I have something to work with.
Cheers BG :exc:
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:16 pm

One other thing about the Fancier/Cowboy studio video head/tripod - it's a little heavy. I think that's one reason it is so stable, but good to keep in mind.

I did find the video re: monopod with feet and head. This guy gives a review that covers several models. The last one is the one with feet/head combo that he recommends most highly. I can see how this one would be neat if you also had Manfrotto tripod legs since the quick release plate can be swapped from one to the other. (My Fancier quick release plate doesn't fit anything else I already have.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JamxLCP1sPU[/youtube]

Good luck with your search!

Paz
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Hunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 pm

I am also in the market for a new tripod, so I hope others will chime in with their experience...
Desktop: HPE-580T, i7-950 (3.07GHz), 16GB RAM, Win'7 64-bit Home Premium, PSE12/PRE12, Lightroom 5.
Laptop: MacBook Pro (retina), 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5.
Cameras (in use): Panasonic GH4/Canon HFR400/Canon HV30, GoPro HD Hero2.
Ron Hunter
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bubby Grub » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Hi All,

Found the brand of my older tripod, that we bought many years ago in Fiji, "STITZ PV100",
made in Japan, probably don't make them anymore, it is still a great tripod, but it is way to heavy for me
to travel around with, especially on airlines with the weight restrictions. According to a professional photographer friend of ours
back then it was one of the best you could get, and at that time very expensive in Aus.
Still checking out the tripods, thanks Paz for the links.
BG :exc:
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler