They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hello Again!

Talk about anything here.

Hello Again!

Postby Bobby » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 pm

I just thought I would post, as I haven't posted anything in a a LONG time now, and I do miss my friends here at Muvipix.

I still haven't gotten back into the video hobby; I have been spending most of my time recently on home automation stuff and music. I have been working on my ukulele (both my wife and I now have one) and have also gotten out my old guitars and amp. Recently bought a new voice amp and mic. I have been playing and singing for local neighbors and friends, but have a long way to go to get back to where I used to be decades ago. I took my classic 40 year old Alvarez acoustic to a local luthier who is quite good and he really set her up fine.

I often wonder what happened to my video hobby and I think it was due to two factors: My older daughter's divorce left me with a lot of family tapes from the 2000s that I just didn't want to edit because I just couldn't handle making "fun" tapes of those troubled years.. Yes, I know I still should for the sake of the grandkids, but it is difficult.

Secondly is a real dislike of the direction that Adobe has been taking, with moving everything online and dumbing down the Elements products. I think I got tired of updating just to get their UI of the year only to be frustrated re-learning. I have PRE10 but not sure I even installed it. I have a similar frustration with WIN8; I would need to upgrade my video editing PC and I (and many others) just HATE Win8 and what MS has done to the PC business.

Well, some good news is that my daughter is getting married Monday (here at the beach) to a great guy and hopefully that will make me feel better about the family situation. I am also going to look for an Adobe alternative and see if I can find something more stable and to get a program vendor who cares more about their users. Let's see where it goes...

Our health, thank goodness, is great. 60s are the new 40s!

I did notice, just looking, that I am still the third highest poster here (not counting Steve and Chuck) so maybe if I start up again nobody will notice that I was gone!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Hello Again!

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Who are you, anyway??? Just kidding. It's good to hear from you and glad to learn that there are some positive things going on for you and your family. I agree with much of what you've said regarding Adobe's direction and Win 8, but I do have to say that from a perspective of 64 bit performance and editing AVCHD I'm pretty happy with PrEl V11. But we PrEl users aren't really what matters to Adobe. The interface is different, but wasn't too bad to get used at all. Anyway, drop by a little more often. You don't necessarily have to talk tech.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby tjodork » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:37 pm

Great to hear from you ! Hope the wedding is amazing ! I just went to the first of my friends children's wedding ....it was great !
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi, Bobby.

I'm glad to hear that things are going well now and that you and your wife are in good health. I was wondering why you hadn't been posting recently.

Why not Windows 7 instead of W8? There are probably some copies still out there.

I agree with you about Adobe. I did go from Pre El 3.02 to PPro CS4 to PPro CS5.5. I was thinking of upgrading to PPro CS7, but when it became PPro CC, I decided that I would stick with 5.5 and never upgrade again. Adobe doesn't want me as a customer. They just want me to rent from them.

You may have noticed that there are a lot more users of Vegas posting here now.

If you do get back into editing video, you can record some of your talent for background music.

I hope that you have good weather for the wedding and that everyone has a wonderful time.
Peru

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Bobby,

It's great to hear from you! I'm glad that your daughter has found a great guy and will be getting married. Mazel tov!

It's also good to hear that you are getting back into music. My oldest daughter has an Alvarez acoustic also. That's an excellent guitar, nice rounded tones and a solid bass. I have a 1967 Manuel De La Chica classical guitar.

I'm not particularly happy with Adobe's change in direction either. I upgraded to Production Premium CS6 just before the switch to CC. So, I'm set for a while. Eventually, I'll have to decide what to do, but, I'm in no hurry for now.

Glad to hear of the positive changes in your life! Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing!
Bob

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 am

Great to have you back, Bobby!

And, yes, we did miss you. Congrats on the little girl's wedding!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Glad you are back Bobby! And good news on you & your wife's good health. Congrats on the upcoming wedding too!

I am unhappy with Adobe changes too. Fortunately I have CS6 that will get me by for now. Last fall I had to get a new build for the HD video out my T4i which meant upgrading Adobe and I choose W7. It seems one thing begats another with video editing.

I thought of you recently. A long time ago you mentioned that the kids or grandkids were not interested in video projects etc. Seems my bunch now like the quick 2 or 3 minute stuff for FB. I don't shoot long clips of family events anymore. What I am doing now is making 6 month discs that recap the family stuff.

Good to have you back! :-D
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bobby » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks all, let's see where it goes. Nice to hear you are all here and doing well.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Good to see old familiar faces Bobby :)
How's the political ambitions going?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerlinde » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:23 pm

Welcome back, Bobby. I was wondering what happened to you. It's good to have you posting again :TU:
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:54 pm

Welcome home, Bobby. I moved in while you were out... I don't know you... but I've been around long enough to recognize your face. :)

For your family videos, time has a way of healing. Hope things go well for the older daughter and her children in future, and Best Wishes to your younger daughter and her fiance.

Another vote for NOT HAPPY with Adobe's direction. That said, does anyone know if they intend dropping Premiere Elements and Premiere Photoshop as products???
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:02 pm

i don't think they will drop the Elements line anytime soon Paz :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:52 am

Good to hear, Chuck... I suppose if pressed, Adobe will say that all their borderline pro/hobbyist customers can fall back on Elements if they don't want to [s]pay through the nose forever[/s] rent the pro level projects. Forever.
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Sorry for the delay. This is our family reunion/beach week so my time is not my own.

Thanks all for the kind words!

Politics: I lost for mayor and that was it for me. My group has since fallen apart, and my political career is over.

And, by the way, my PC consulting business is closed, and I am no longer writing my column for the local paper. I am just a shadow of my former self!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh, and hi Paz. Nice to see people still moving into our community. Great folks, and I do miss all y'all!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Water Cooler