They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Is my Flip Ultra getting too bulky...

Talk about anything here.

Is my Flip Ultra getting too bulky...

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 am

Lately I have been wondering if my Flip Ultra 3rd gen is getting just too darn bulky. I mean I put it in my shirt pocket and it takes up over half the room. At around 10 oz am I subjecting myself to some future back aliment because my spine is out of whack? So I think I found the next gen of HD cameras……

Enter the Y3000 720P HD camera. At about $25 USD it will not break the bank. It even looks like there is room to add a “macro” lens to it….hummm. So I think I will order one.At 17 grams I am thinking I might have found the right weight...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgtTg62GDfs[/youtube]

:) Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Is my Flip Ultra getting too bulky...

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am

Cool find Sidd! For only $25 it may be worth the novelty to try out.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:08 am

Oh heck yes. I'd have to keep it on my key ring to keep from losing it. :) Hold out for the 4K Ultra Hi Def version. Seriously though, it was a pretty thorough review - much better than many I've seen. This kind of reminds me of the time we went to Alltel years ago to get our first cellphone. One of the models they had was a tiny flip phone that was probably about an inch and a half long when closed (to the best of my recollection.) I could not have used my fingers to operate the buttons. The salesperson said to use a pencil eraser. I don't think they sold many of them....I've never seen another like it.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:01 pm

$25!? Cool!

Is the video editable? The specs in the YouTube video say that it records MJPEG, which can be iffy with some editing programs.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Good call on the MJPEG. I went ahead and ordered on on Amazon for $19.33 USD. Looks like this could be a fun little gadget.

http://www.amazon.com/Smallest-Camera-C ... 000+camera

I will post some "museum quality" video once I have it in my hands.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:50 pm

You gotta love this review of that camera...: "I was thinkin how fun and easy this would be to use. WRONG! There's no way to tell where you are aiming! You can't tell if you got the picture u wanted or not! ......"

Reading the rest of the reviews it looks like 19.33 may have been too much to pay. But, we all are waiting for your review Sidd.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:18 am

Yes, that's my only hesitation. I love that I could just duct tape it to bike helmet -- but then I don't know if I've got the shot until I get home and play it on my computer.

Which, of course, would be true of a Go Pro Hero too...
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:11 pm

I agree that it is difficult to make sure you have your shot until after you look at the footage. But in the places that this device would be used, it would be difficult to frame the shot anyway. It is almost like the old film cameras where you do not get see what you shot until the film is developed. In this case the develop would be hooking the camera to the computer.

I want to see if I can attach this to a kite and get some aerial shots. In this situation I am sure I will get what I get in terms of footage. But for $20 and it keeps me occupied for a few hours then it is a winner all the way around.

Steve the GoPro's have wifi so you can see them through your smart phone...

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:43 pm

sidd finch wrote:
Steve the GoPro's have wifi so you can see them through your smart phone...

Sidd

I didn't know that, thanks Sidd. But, I am a relic and don't have a smart phone. :-8

Sidd, I will await your complete & full review on the tiny camera. Kite footage is a great idea!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:26 pm

I will post footage. Amazon said I should get the camera by Tuesday. From looking at pictures of the camera, it looks like the camera could accept one of those iPhone fish eye lens which I think I am going to try out too. That would make some of the kite shots better.

If I can make a really small picavet harness for it I should be able to get some decent footage.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Update: To say bummer is an understatement. Got the camera…charged….and …AGHHHHHH it was DOA….so there goes that. In the mean time while I was waiting for this to arrive I was watching the techmoan videos on YouTube and I think I will just return this for credit and get this camera.

It looks to be a small GoPro clone. Not nearly as good but…..for $90 USD looks like it would make a cool add on camera to supplement a main camera, like a real GoPro. it looks like a thick verson of the Ego.

Again the key is $90 USD.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QppW_0_DuiE&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL9AE23A7F0C9FDC91[/youtube]

The only thing that is a bit suspect is that the plastic cover creates a frame around the video.
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Sorry about the miniature cam. You'll have to review the egg one next. Thanks for saving us all the headache and expense trying out new little gadgets. I'll wait until you find one Sidd approved. :-D
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Sidd Amazon is pretty good about guarantees. Why don't you email them about your problem camera. Maybe they will send another one. If you have to pay postage to return yours then just forget it.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Well after a little bit of consternation I have taken a leap on a new HD mini camera, the Mobius 1080P action camera.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-Cam ... B00DP1WYD2

I was looking for something small to be able to mount in various places that would also be light weight. For a cost of $89 USD. This camera’s footage looked pretty good for what it does. It is about the size of a box of Tic-tac’s does 1080P at 30 fps and has the ability to record video while charging at the same time. It also uses a mini SD card up to 32GB and records video for approx. 80 minutes. My hopes are up.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Sitting here waiting to see the video Sidd. What's taking you so long? :mrgreen:
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Next

Return to Water Cooler