They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Argggg -2 Seagate 3TB Failed USB Hard Drives

Talk about anything here.

Argggg -2 Seagate 3TB Failed USB Hard Drives

Postby tjodork » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:40 pm

I have stored about 2.5G of video in avi. Stupidly I didn't have it backed up....yes I know ... very stupid......

About 2-1/2 weeks ago I decided to buy a new 3TB to backup the 3TB GoFlex USB drive ...

I received the new 3TB Seagate drive from NewEgg and it was DOA. I could hear it spin up, make a noise and spin down.

Then I went to get an RMA and NewEgg gave me the run around....and while still trying to get the drive replaced, the original GoFlex drive died.
I ran the Seagate diagnostics and it confirmed that the drive had failed.

I am super pissed..... I've had good luck with Seagate in the past but their current quality is VERY BAD.

I hope WD is better as thats what I just bought...

Anyone else have bad luck with current Seagate HDD's ?

Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Argggg -2 Seagate 3TB Failed USB Hard Drives

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:44 am

I have always used WD Caviar Black drives but recently have had to replace three of them (on separate occasions) under warranty. My system drive was a WD Raptor and that was one of the three that failed. In all cases they were replaced without quibble directly by WD as they were all still within the five year guarantee period. I replaced my WD Raptor system drive with a Samsung SSD; the WD Raptor is now my video WIP drive

I also have a NAS in which I have four Seagate ST2000DM001 drives - it came with them pre-installed. So far no problems.

In addition to having all data on the NAS, all PC system images are backed up to it daily (I use Macrium Reflect Pro) and the NAS in turn is backed up to 'slave unit' comprising WD WD2002FAEX HDDs in an external drive enclosure.

Belt and braces maybe, but all of my photos were laboriously scanned and digitised, all of my music was digitised. So all of my music, photos and videos are held on the NAS so my backup regime is crucial in minimising the risk of data loss.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Argggg -2 Seagate 3TB Failed USB Hard Drives

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:35 am

I have only purchased Seagate in the past 8 years after terrible problems with WD.
Still have some WD drives and many Seagate drives, all still working just fine :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Water Cooler