They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SDHC Card

Talk about anything here.

SDHC Card

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:02 am

Hi All

Another question on Cards for the camera, I have a few class 4 SDHC Cards, and also a couple of class 10's, which worked great in my older camera
which was Lite HD.
I am looking now at getting some more cards on line, the manual suggests I look at 4 and over. Would like to look at getting some more class 10's
but on looking on line I find that there are class 10's but also UHS-1 (class 10) can anyone explain the difference I am reading the difference but I am
not really following it. What would be the best for me to buy.
Thanks again
BG
When all else fails, Hug your Teddy.
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: SDHC Card

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:31 am

The class numbers and the UHS numbers are both a form of speed rating. But, UHS also involves a change in how the card operates. To take advantage of the speed a UHS card can provide, you need to use it in a device that contains a card controller that supports the changes in the UHS hardware.

The class number system is older than UHS and the number represents the minimum sustained write speed in megabytes per second that can be written to the card. Class 10 is the highest rated class and can write, at a minimum, 10 MB/s. The class number says nothing about how much faster a card can operate. All class 10 cards are not equal. Some manufacturers, SanDisk is one, typically support higher rates.

UHS cards can provide the fastest currently available speed. But, the improved speed is achieved by increasing the frequency of the clock signal that moves the data into and out of the card. Older cameras do not contain controllers that support that. If your camera manual does not say that your camera supports UHS-1, save your money and buy standard Class 10 cards.
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks Bob

Thanks for the explaination, my camera is brand new, the manual did not mention UHS-1, but I figure no harm
in giving Panasonic a ring a little later and go from there.
Thanks again.
BG
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:40 pm

Be sure to ask whether a UHS-1 card will work as UHS-1 and not just be backwards compatible and function as a Class 10 card. If the clock frequency does not change from the standard rate that a class 10 uses, you won't be able to get the speed that UHF-1 provides. That makes for a very expensive class 10 card.
Bob

Postby Bubby Grub » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Thanks for that Bob, just gave them a call and they have advised to stick with the Class SDHC Class 10 or SDXC, upon reading more
will stick with SDHC
Thanks again
BG :exc:
Bubby Grub
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler