They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hello dear friends

Talk about anything here.

Hello dear friends

Postby William Tranter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:29 am

Hello everyone, I'm back!
I haven't posted anything on Muvipix for several years but there is a good reason. My dear wife Maisie died on 6th April 2011 after 14 months of HELL after she developed cancer (first her breast, then ovaries, then lungs, and finally thyroid!). Video recording and editing has been the last thing I wanted to do and for the last 18 months or so I have just been curled up in my shell, not wanting to do anything! I did have a short holiday in my caravan last May, and even stayed with good friend John (twosheds) McDonald for several days! He has been very supportive and I value his friendship very highly (thanks, mate!).
Now I am trying to get my life back to some semblance of normality. I do voluntary duty in our village library every Friday afternoon, and have joined the "University of the Third Age" (U3A - a self-help group for senior citizens!) and each month go on rambles in the Cotswolds.
One of my fellow ramblers asked if I would show him how to do video editing (!), so I dusted off my old Premiere Elements v.1 which has done everything I could ever want, and after re-learning how to use it (I'd forgotten so much!), I was able to give him a demonstration of the program's abilities. He left my house very impressed, though I still have to see if he has actually done any editing yet.
Anyway, I decided to purchase a new video camera because my large Sony HD camcorder (recording in HDV) was just that - large, heavy and because EVERYTHING is manual, not very easy to use (I am going to sell it if anyone is interested!).
I trotted down to my local Sony shop and had a look at their camcorder range, but wasn't very impressed - they were all TINY little things with no manual control (perhaps I should say 'Limited manual control'!), so I asked the manager whether they sold a camcorder similar to my (now aged) TRV950, which gave me good manual control of focus, white balance, etc. and which output the recordings (on miniDV tape) via Firewire cable.
He said the closest model would be the Sony CX730E which records HD footage to a chip, but which could be set to Standard Def if reqd. Things were looking up!
My biggest problem is editing the AVCHD output - PE1 just doesn't cut the mustard any more!
At the moment I'm tecording in HD, outputting via the Composite cable to my little Sony digital VCR (GVD800) and then inputting into PR1 via Firewire cable. Surprisingly, the input footage isn't too bad and if I sharpen up the clips, very acceptable.
Now to bite the bullet: what version/s of PE will accept AVCHD files (which are input to my Windows XP Pro computer via USB2)? Ideally i'd like to use the HD footage, but because I don't have an HD (blueray) video recorder or player, output in Standard Def for the time being.
Can anyone advise please?
Thank you all,
Bill

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Hello dear friends

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 am

So sorry for your loss, Bill! I can't imagine the pain. But I pray you find healing in your work and creative projects.

Premiere Elements has technically been supporting AVCHD for several generations -- though it's gotten better each go-around. Version 11 is far and away the best at it, and we highly recommend it. But, even in version 11, it may require a pretty powerful computer (ideally a quad core or i7) to work with it.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby William Tranter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:14 am

Hello Steve!
I'm trying not to update my computer - it's a Windows 7 computer "downgraded" back to XP so that I can use all my programs. If I get a new computer, I'm going to have to buy new software, and all this is going to be VERY expensive!
I have been given PE7, but the HD footage accepted by this program is HDV rather than AVCHD.
Can PE11 output Standard Def to tape? I ask this because my DVD recorder is downstairs, while my computer is upstairs! Also, I haven't been very impressed with DVDs produced by PE, though probably this feature has been improved.
All the best, dear friend,
Bill

Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:20 am

The option to output to a miniDV tape has been removed in version 11, Bill. However, it can output standard DVD from pretty much any source.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:51 am

Bill-

I'm sorry about the difficult times you've been through, but am glad to see that you are managing to resume a life of some manner of normalcy.
Peru

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 am

Good to have you back Bill. Whatever you decide to do with your editing, the great thing about Muvipix is that it's still a circle of friends who talk tech or talk silly or anywhere in between. I hope we see you often for any of the above reasons.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby William Tranter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Thank you all for your very kind words of welcome - it's great to be among friends like ALL on Muvipix!
And yes, no doubt I talk a lot of drivel, but video editing (not to mention the 'filming' first!) is a very creative art, and creativity is an emotional thing - I've found myself a LOT more 'open' with my emotions since Maisie died. She was EVERYTHING to me as we married well past child-bearing age, and Maisie had no living family left, while my sisters are still in Australia. So Maisie was more than just my wife (she died the day after our 25th wedding anniversary!), she was my inspiration and complete focal point for my 'artistic' side. When she died I felt, indeed STILL feel, completely empty inside, and the pain of her loss is sometimes quite unbearable. When friends asked whether I was going to resume video editing, I used to say, "What's the point?", so getting back into this creative hobby is sometimes very difficult.
All the very best to you ALL,
Bill

Dell XPS 430 running Win7 Pro 64-bit with 8GB RAM, Sony TRV480E (digital8), Sony GVD800 vcr (digital8), Sony HDR-FX7E (HDV, miniDV), and Sony CX730E (AVCHD).
William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 pm

I have been given PE7, but the HD footage accepted by this program is HDV rather than AVCHD.

Premiere Elements 7 does accept AVCHD, Bill. Here's a screenshot from my PE7.

PE7_Presets.jpg

Later versions are more efficient at processing AVCHD and support more flavors of it. But, this may be good enough to get you through. If your computer is not up to the task of handling AVCHD editing, you can convert it to HDV which will use far less resources. You can probably use PE7 for that, or use a standalone converter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob

Postby William Tranter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:49 pm

Wow! That's very good news indeed! It's getting a bit late in the evening here to think about installing PE7 at this moment, but I'll have a go, definitely!
At the moment I'm using Sony's program called "Play Memories Home" which was installed automatically from my camcorder when I first connected it to the computer, and the HD files which have been downloaded from the camcorder by this (not very good) program are then converted to AVI files for loading into PE1, but I am guessing that I would just have to load them directly into PE7 and not do any conversions first.
I'm not very experienced (at all!) in HD stuff, but my camera records AVCHD 50p or 50i (I have it set for 50i, stereo sound rather than 5.1 sound, although I could set it up for that with no problems).
Where I get puzzled is all the other stuff - could I then edit the footage just like I do at the moment with PE1? I'm guessing most of the filters are just the same, although I probably wouldn't have to use SteadyMove Pro because I believe there is a steadying filter built into the program (don't know this for certain!). I also use a filter add-on called Shine, but only occasionally. Possibly I could add this to PE7 like I have done with PE1.
If PE7 can output to tape that would be perfect for my circumstances, otherwise I will have to use the Nero MediaHome 4 software I have installed in my computer but which I don't use at the moment - I found it to be not very good the one and only time I used it. If there is a choice of output formats, I would prefer SD (16:9 screen shape) because all my friends and I only have SD video recorders/players/television sets. Of course, if I ever win a LOT of money I may consider purchasing a BlueRay DVD recorder/player, but don't hold your breath!
Anyway, dear friends, thank you for all your support - I'm off to bed becauase I've got a very busy day tomorrow, and Thursday, and Friday! Probably I'll try to stay off my computer until the weekend when I can give it the proper attention it deserves. Thank you all again.
Bill

William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:02 pm

It's great to hear from you Bill and welcome back. We have definitely missed you around here that's for sure.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:39 pm

Welcome back Bill! Looking forward to seeing your videos with your new camera. :)
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby William Tranter » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Well, as promised, I loaded in PE v.7 and fired it up. Connected my new Sony CX730 to computer via USB2 and clicked on Input stuff (or whatever it says), remembering that this HD camcorder is a CHIP version, and guess what? It worked! The dozen or so clips appeared in the media window with no problems whatsoever, so I promptly dropped them into my timeline, added a few filters and transitions, and then connected my GVD800 digital video recorder (tape) to Firewire lead and then output my 'Project' to tape, all with NO PROBLEMS at all!
Brilliant - PE7 does exactly what I want, so I am a VERY happy bunny!
Thank you all for your support and help. I wish you all a very Happy Christmas even though it is still early, and my thoughts will be with all of you.
Have a good one,
Bill

William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:54 pm

Bill,

I'm new here, so you won't know me. Just wanted to say that I can relate to at least some of what you and your beloved went through and I'm glad to hear that you are beginning to live again. Focusing on your ability to create new, good things is one of the best ways to go about it, in my most humble opinion. Good luck to you in your endeavors.

Paz
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Bill,
I am sadden by your news and you have my deepest sympathy. I lost my husband in June after a 2 yr batttle with cancer. It is very hard and lonely. I am glad to see you back. I haven't been on here much in 2+ yrs as i have been his primary caretaker. I reallly haven't gotten back into the swing of things. It's just one day at a time for now.
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby William Tranter » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:44 am

Dear Paz and ridon127,
Welcome to MuViPix, Paz. I've been with this forum since the days when it was the Adobe forum (way, way back!). Please post anything you like to talk about here, we're pretty friendly and if we can help then we will. I have met some really nice people through this forum and I promote it as much as I can. As for your loss, I feel your pain as well as my own. I never thought the pain of my loss would hurt (physically!) so much, but it does, and even now after 20 months, it is just as bad. People say that 'you get used to it', well all I can say is that I hope I do eventually. At the moment I'm trying out all sorts of 'divertisements' to keep me thinking about my wife (this Christmas will be her birthday - she would be 80 this year!). Anyway, friend, I hope you are finding video editing interesting, satisfying, and a very satisfying expression of the art of 'filming'/'recording', whatever. Because photography in any of its media is very, very artistic and just because our respective partners have left us shouldn't (says I!) stop our creativity. All the best, dear friend.
And for ridon127, thank you also for your kind words. Losing a partner is an absolutely shattering experience, so doing ANYTHING which will help keep us on the road of sanity must be a blessing. I send you my good wishes also.
Lots of luck in your video editing experiences - I've just upgraded (if that's the word) to PE7 from PE1 and PE2, and I'm encountering lots of problems along the way, but with the help of all the kind people on this Forum, I know I'll get there in the end.
Bill

William Tranter
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Next

Return to Water Cooler