They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

VOB Converter?

Talk about anything here.

VOB Converter?

Postby happydog » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:46 pm

I'm trying to get some video off a dvd that my son shot on vacation. The file extensions are VOB, IFO and BUP. Is there a free converter that will convert these into anything useable, or can you recommend something else?

Any help would be pathetically appreciated. Thanks in advance!

(if this is posted in the wrong place, feel free to move it)
happydog
New User
New User

Re: VOB Converter?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:19 pm

Two great products. Both free downloads.

VirtualDubMOD (from the makers of VirtualDub)

MPEGstreamclip
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bc4800e

Convert your files to DV-AVIs and they'll work great in Premiere Elements!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:30 am

Hey Steve, is there some reason you didn't suggest doing this as an import in PrEl?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:11 am

If you import VOBs directly into Premiere Elements, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. And, even if they do, you're often reversing the field dominance and, if it's a long project, the program can choke while rendering and encoding a DVD.

So, it might well work with no problems -- I just think you're always better using a pure DV-AVI workflow whenever possible.

In my not so humble opinion.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: vdubmod?

Postby happydog » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:40 am

I downloaded vdubmod. It seems to work fine but the video is coming out kind of jerky. If you stop it and restart it it plays ok for a few seconds then gets jerky again. Can you suggest the best settings to use with this program? I tried it with the default settings, now I'm trying again with the "old avi, 1.0 compatibility" setting. I have it on the compression setting "uncompressed rgb" would another codec setting be better?

Thanks so much for the help, this has been driving me nuts. Why the #$^@#$% would someone want a camcorder that doesn't let you edit the videos?????
happydog
New User
New User

Postby Gooder » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:49 am

You could try connecting your DVD player to your camcorder and record the part you want from the DVD. Then use Premiere software to bring that segment back in to your project ( from your camcorder) this will give you a true AVI file. :)

This also sounds like the same problem that another user had!
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1977

Hope it helps!
Cheers
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby kodebuster » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks so much for the help, this has been driving me nuts. Why the #$^@#$% would someone want a camcorder that doesn't let you edit the videos?????

Is the camcorder of the type that records directly to a mini-DVD disc.

If it is, I thought these type cameras also provide a method to connect directly to a PC, usually via USB, and allow a download to Mpeg type files.

I have a Sony camera that's mini-DVD, and it has this feature...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Ken Jarstad » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:48 pm

1. VirtualDubMod will also require the free Panasonic DV codec to properly encode the output.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Panasonic_DV_Codec.htm

Select Video/Compression and scroll down to and select Panasonic DV codec.

2. VirtualDubMod is only an "editor" not a "player". Therefore it will usually always play "jerky". Incidently, that is why you have to "render" any video on your PrEl Timeline if it has a red line over it. The render is creating a "preview" file which WILL play smoothly - otherwise PrEl plays video jerky, too.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby happydog » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:24 pm

I wanted to come back and say thank you to everyone for the suggestions and post my solution for anyone with the same problem who finds this thread in a future search.

I had tried a free trial from AVS Video Converter and found it worked great except it added their logo in the middle of the video. To get it off you have to register it for $29. I finally got tired of "trying" different free things, so I bought the registered version and it worked flawlessly.

I checked the Canon website and it states that I own the ultimate camcorder for dummies - "The DVD video format is designed for direct playback rather than uploading to a computer for editing. Various third party software applications are available to assist in uploading your videos to your computer's hard drive for playback, but most video editing software packages do not currently have the ability to edit these files. If you wish to attempt to edit your DVD movies using your computer we suggest consulting with your software vendor.."

What the hell kind of useless piece of carp is that! You'd get more use out of it for target practice or opening coconuts with it.
happydog
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:32 pm

I'm actually surprised (and a bit impressed) that a camcorder manufacturer would admit that!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 pm

What I'm wondering is what the results would be if you add VOB's to PE, don't edit them, but just export to DV-AVI. If fact, you don't even need to add them to the timeline. You can export a file in the media bin to another available format. You could turn a non-editable MPEG into an editable MPEG, like the editable MPEGs in the HDV projects where the GOP structure is IPPIPPIPP (i believe), which they call "I-frame only."
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Water Cooler