They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Record direct to Hard Drive - comments requested

Talk about anything here.

Record direct to Hard Drive - comments requested

Postby jeffterm » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:33 pm

My apologies up front if I’m reliving an earlier conversation, but I could not find it.

I am going to be recording a play that is about 1 ½ hours. The problem is that the writer/director decided to make it a straight through production without any intermission or even any scene breaks or fade to black, where I could quickly change tapes. After playing around last night trying to record directly to Premiere, which doesn’t work, I tried using winDV as a capture utility. It does work. I was recording Sony HC1 direct through firewire to winDV on my editing computer. Other than a slight delay to my monitor, which should not matter since it will be muted way in the back of the theater, mounted on a tripod. What other issues can I be looking forward to?

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions for trying this? Warnings that I can look out for?

I want to do a long duration test to see if it drops frames after awhile, and just how large a file its going to create after 1 ½ hours.

I also wonder if there is a HDV utility that would allow similar capturing of the HD video direct to hard drive.

Again, anyone have any comments? Suggestions?

Anyone want a mint?
jeffterm

Re: Record direct to Hard Drive - comments requested

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 pm

Aside from using a hard drive camcorder with a 3-4 hour capacity (and that has its own liabilities), I don't know any. Sorry.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gerry » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:16 pm

Here's a suggestion: tape it on two camcorders, mounted cheek-to-cheek.

Start one, let it go for ~55 minutes, and start the other one, so that they 're both recording for the remaining 5 minutes. When you bring it into Premiere Elements, you can do a very quick dissolve between the two files.
Dell XPS 8500 desktop w/ Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4ghz / 22 gigs RAM / Radeon HD7570 1g dedicated video memory/ PrEl 11 & 9 / Photoshop and Illustrator CS5 / After Effects CS4 / Olympus OM-D E-M5 DSLR (1080i HD video)

Time is money, life is change.
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:25 pm

Recording directly to the computer will work just fine, but you don't have tapes to fall back on as a backup if anything happens to the hard drive.
1 1/2 hours will only take up about 20gb of space but make sure you have plenty of extra room on the drive. I don't think you will find any dropouts or problems at all, many live productions record direct to disk.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:27 pm

To capture direct to HD with Premiere Elements 3.0... connect the camcorder via firewire, set "Device Control" to "None" under "Preferences", open a PE project Capture window and click "Get Video". It works with both my budget Sony TRV-460 and prosumer PD170.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby SetiRich » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:35 am

I record things directly to disc & my biggest issue is the 2gb file limit that seems to occur with any capture program I use. I'm even to the point of using two computers, starting the second 10 minutes after the first, to get the information that seems to missed in the file transition event.

Has anyone found a reliable way of recording larger than 2gb files?
SetiRich

Think out of the Box?

You mean there's a box for thoughts somewhere?

No wonder my stuff is so scattered...I'm missing my box...
SetiRich
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:32 pm

Convert you disks to NTSF rather than FAT32 which they must be.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:16 pm

FAT supports 2GB files while FAT32 supports 4GB files. NTFS is essentially limited by the size of your disc. So, Chuck is right. Check the file system on your disk and convert to NTFS if possible. There could be other issues, the original specification for AVI only supported 2GB files for example. But, the disk file system is the most likely suspect. If your disk is using NTFS, then you've probably run into one of those other issues.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:34 pm

Thanks for the additional information Bob, I learn new stuff here all the time :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Andy_E » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:10 pm

I can't believe anyone still has a FAT16 formatted hard drive these days. Still, I believe older AVI 1.0 capture programs had issues with creating file sizes over 2Gb - something to do with the maximum index size. I seem to remember that originally the index limit was the sticking point but an extension to the 1.0 format allowed more data to be appended making 4gb the limit under FAT32 (OS restriction rather than capture program**).

NTFS? we're talking terabytes here....

I guess we've got to ask what are you capturing from, to and via?

**EDIT: actually that may be a AVI 1.0 limit as well (it's all so long ago :???: ). Certainly OpenDML AVI under NTFS the limit is I think 32 terabytes or something like that - and that's a lot of video!
Andy_E
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 pm

FAT16 is still very much alive in smaller capacity devices. But, I agree you Andy, you're not going to see it much in computer internal drives anymore unless it's an older system or a drive has been moved from an older system. There are still FAT16 and FAT32 drives in use though, and when you have a specific 2GB apparent limitation, without more information, it's still worth a quick and easy check to see whether that's a factor.

There very definitely could be an issue with the capture path, so your "I guess we've got to ask what are you capturing from, to and via?" is very germane.
Bob

Postby sidd finch » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:59 pm

The ATC2K lipstick camcorder that I purchased specifically mentions that the flash card should be set to FAT 16. I have tried using the camcorder with both FAT 16 and FAT 32 but did not notice any difference. The card is 2gb in size.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby jeffterm » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:49 am

Sidd,
Lipstick cam? I thought it was a helmet cam, or did you buy another one I don't know about? :-D

anyone else interested:

Here's where I stand - The file size limit I thought mught be a problem, but I am running NTFS across the board. I'll let you know if anything comes up.
I did some test capture in my office - HC1 direct to PE. Did ilink convert to DV for about 10 minutes worked well enough that I can tell.
I switched over to HDV and tried again, made it to the 7min mark before I got bored taping the cat clean herself.

For recording I had my laptop acting as middle-man between my HC1 -> firewire -> laptop -> USB -> harddrive.
Playback of the HD stuff on the laptop sucked and made me nervous that it was a waste of time. Upon bringing the external drive to my editing computer - it opened up and played / scrolled / edited just fine. I could not find any dropped frames. Which is, I suppose what I am most paranoid about. Well, that, and the whole thing just dropping out and being for nothing.

In the morning, they are having another dress rehersal so I'm going to go and setup to record the duration and see just how much a 250gig external drive can hold. :)

If anyone is interested in the results: I'll post them.
Jeff
jeffterm

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:12 am

Always useful to have results posted - may help someone else.

Re the lipstick cam - tell us more Sidd.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Briantho » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:21 am

Is this play just under 1.5 hours? If so, do you have any problem using LP instead of the default SP mode? LP gives you up to 90 mins. I do it all the time on my simple Panasonics. I often film amateur dramatics and operatic stuff and the 'Acts' are typically a bit over the hour - I just use LP with never a problem.
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Water Cooler