They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Newbie question (menu templates)

Specific to Premiere Elements Version 9.

Newbie question (menu templates)

Postby kirov 2 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:38 pm

I am new to Premiere Elements 9 and to video-editing on the computer. (I'm a Windows 7 user).

I have many dance-recital videos on VHS which I hope to shorten through editing and burn onto DVDs. Each recital consists of about 15 dance numbers (and also opening general remarks and a closing section for awards presentation).
Through practice, I'm learning to edit out the endless applause and delays between each dance number (getting the total length of each recital-video down to around 90 minutes). But now, I'm trying to create the menu-template and am somewhat limited by PRE 9's template choices.

I wish that PRE 9 offered a menu template where I could list each of the 15 (or so) dance numbers by name separately on a one-page menu at the beginning of the DVD. That way (on playing the DVD), I could skip right to the one of the 15 dance-performances I'm interested in viewing. I don't necessarily need a video-thumbnail of each selection to appear on the menu. PRE 9's menu choices all seem to offer just a few thumbnails (less than the number that I need), causing me to have to create multiple menu-pages (possibly 5 or more menu-pages to scroll through, which wastes both time and space on the DVD.) I love the creative templates that PRE 9 offers, but a fancy menu-template is not necessary for me...I could just do with a list in words.

I have visited this forum in the past and seem to recall that there were some "home-cooked" templates created by people far more knowledageable than I. Can anyone suggest a good solution for my menu-needs?
kirov 2
New User
New User

Re: Newbie question (menu templates)

Postby Peru » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:48 pm

:wcm:
You may want to look at DVD Architect Studio.
There are some tutorials here:
http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=44

Steve Grisetti has written a great book that could walk you through most anything:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1456470973?tag ... llery1.php

Even though I have Premiere Pro CS5.5 which comes with Encore, I still prefer to use DVDAS.
Peru

Postby kirov 2 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Hello, and thanks for the welcome and for your reply!

I guess I do need to get another software package, and the one you suggest appears to fit the bill----giving me the menu-flexibility I need (and also the ability to trim my original material---which is the only true editing that my project calls for...I'm not looking to add music or special effects or alter my original material in any other way...I just need to cut out parts of it and then burn to DVD.)

I'm off to get Steve Grisetti's book.

Thanks again,
Kirov 2
kirov 2
New User
New User

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Have you looked at the generic DVD text template that Steve created? It's in the free downloads section. See this thread http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=7954#p70938 for more information.
Bob

Postby kirov 2 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:38 am

Yes, this is what I remember seeing on my forum-visits in the past. I will try experimenting with this also. Many thanks for the link.
kirov 2
New User
New User

Return to PRE Version 9