They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2019
Not quite sure what our site has to offer?
Check out the
Muvipix Video Tour

Right Software and Right Laptop for My Glorified Slideshows

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Right Software and Right Laptop for My Glorified Slideshows

Postby videolady » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:09 pm

I have been away from MuviPix for 8 months and away from ‘video editing’ for over 2 years. Now, I want to get back into it and am looking for advice for a new laptop (yes, I decided a laptop) and the right software.
My projects are really mostly photos, rather than video, and they are often around 40 minutes in length. I wonder if the large number of photos per project is more demanding for the laptop than video clips (?). I’d like to jump on a good deal I think is out there right now with kids going back to school. I live in Canada and best Buy has these offers:
Are any of these any good?
ASUS Vivo Book: i5 – 8265U processor, 15.6” screen, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD--$700 Can $
ASUS ScreenPad 2.0: i5 – 8265U processor, 15.6” screen, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD--$900 Can $
Microscoft Surface Laptop 2: i5 processor, 13.5” screen, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD--$1300 Can $. Plus pen and mouse--$180 can
Software Advice:
Then for software, I would like to get Adobe Photoshop Elements/Premier Elements as I worked with that in the past but is Premier Elements necessary for my ‘glorified slideshow’ of photos? Is tere better software for my typical projects?
I’m open to other suggestions, as well. I heard Dell may also have something good for my need.
Thank you,
Karen
(Aka Videolady)
videolady
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Right Software and Right Laptop for My Glorified Slidesh

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:45 am

Welcome back, Karen!

You don't say how you're going to display your slideshows -- but, if you plan to create DVDs of your slideshow then yes, you will need Premiere Elements.

But if you're going to show your slideshows on your computer, YouTube or using a projector attached to your computer, you can get by with just Photoshop Elements.

The slideshow creator is built into the Organizer, which comes with both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements. And it's a nice little slideshow maker. Makes nice looking movies using good looking templates. Here's a demo of it.

On the other hand, if you just want to make slideshows and maybe burn them as DVDs and you don't have much use for the other Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements tools, you might want to go with ProShow Gold instead. The Premium version sells for about $70, and it's easy to use, low maintenance and it produces excellent results. Many Muvipixers are long-time fans.
http://www.photodex.com/proshow/gold
3.6 ghz i7-7700 running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with 16 gigs RAM and a 2 terrabyte HD. Also iMac 2.6 ghz dual-core, 4 gigs of RAM, running OSX El Capitan and Boot Camp Windows 10 64-bit.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Right Software and Right Laptop for My Glorified Slidesh

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:50 am

I don't think the Microsoft Surface will be powerful enough to do what you want. Not sure if that is a surface pro or not.

You might check out something like a Dell G3 which has a good processor 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H Processor and a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 with Max-Q Design video card. The price is approx 900 USD. Or, the Lenovo Z-Book series.

Sidd
Omnium Rerum Principia Parva Sunt – 'The beginnings of all things are small.'
sidd finch

Return to Computer Issues