They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

SOS! How do I unlock this folder?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

SOS! How do I unlock this folder?

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:04 pm

SmartSyncPro can't back up this folder because it contains a thumb/db icon for which "access is denied."

I get a message that I need Administrator privilege to delete the icon.

But I think I am the administrator, as I am the only one who has ever used this machine.

:conf:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: SOS! How do I unlock this folder?

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:33 pm

That thumb db folder was caused by one of your photo editing programs. There is a registry hack to allow you to take ownership of that folder so that you can remove that db file prior to backing up.

Do a Google search on 'Take ownership on folders' to see many more solutions. Some for different OS's. You did not state your OS so I can't be more specific in my answer.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:53 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:That thumb db folder was caused by one of your photo editing programs. There is a registry hack to allow you to take ownership of that folder so that you can remove that db file prior to backing up.

Do a Google search on 'Take ownership on folders' to see many more solutions. Some for different OS's. You did not state your OS so I can't be more specific in my answer.

My photo editor is PSE7.

My OS is Win7 Home Premium.

But is it really necessary to peform a hack?

In the past, I would merely click Continue and the OS would proceed to delete the subject files, presumably after it had verified that I was logged on as the Administrator.

HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:57 pm

Must be something locking that db file. George, did you right mouse>>Properties>>Security and look at the permissions thing? Also click on the advance button and look there too.

I kinda had assumed you had done all of the above but just want to check for sure.

One other thing, do you have some photo program running in the background? That may/would put a hold on that db file also.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:23 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Must be something locking that db file. George, did you right mouse>>Properties>>Security and look at the permissions thing?

Yes. And I gave permission to Everyone but that did not help.

Also click on the advance button and look there too.

Yes.

I kinda had assumed you had done all of the above but just want to check for sure.

One other thing, do you have some photo program running in the background? That may/would put a hold on that db file also.

None.

Locked folder.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:26 pm

Well that photo is sure weird. Could you have possible named a folder with that name? (folder.jpg)?? It sure looks like it as it's showing a couple of things within it. Can you double click on that folder.jpg and see what's there?

If that is indeed a folder, can you rename it? Get rid of that period.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:58 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Well that photo is sure weird. Could you have possible named a folder with that name? (folder.jpg)?? It sure looks like it as it's showing a couple of things within it. Can you double click on that folder.jpg and see what's there?

The folder containes a PSE7 catalog and the images that it tracks.

If that is indeed a folder, can you rename it? Get rid of that period.

The reason for the .jpg is that I made a screen shot of the folder (with the Snipping Tool) and saved it as a jpg for uploading to muvipix. The .jpg is not in the name of the actual folder.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:10 pm

Ah...so that folder contains the catalog stuff? That is a clue as maybe the catalog still has a hold on something within that folder making your backup program think that it's still in use. Did you try to open that catalog again with PSE7? Maybe something hic-coughed during a previous session causing something within that folder to lock. That PSE7 catalog is probably the program that created the db file.

As a side note, I once had a major problem with a version of PSE catalog that would cause similar problems with files when using the catalog. I just quit using it.

Maybe Steve can chime in and help us.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:31 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Ah...so that folder contains the catalog stuff? That is a clue as maybe the catalog still has a hold on something within that folder making your backup program think that it's still in use.

I opened System Config and removed PSE7 and the Organizer from the Startup list, but that also did not solve the problem.

Did you try to open that catalog again with PSE7?

I always open the catalog from the db icon and that works as usual (I have multiple different catalogs)

Maybe something hic-coughed during a previous session causing something within that folder to lock. That PSE7 catalog is probably the program that created the db file.

It's the hidden thumbs file in that folder that is causing the problem and that I cannot delete even when I unhide it.

As a side note, I once had a major problem with a version of PSE catalog that would cause similar problems with files when using the catalog. I just quit using it.

The reason that I've stuck with PSE7 is that it's the only version of PS Elements that has never given me any problems.

Maybe Steve can chime in and help us.

My guess is that he may be enjoying some of "Milwaukee's Best" this Labor Day weekend, in which case it may be Tuesday before we see him again on this site
milwaukee best.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:58 pm

In a previous post I recommended a google search on "How to unlock a file". Have you had a chance to try that?
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:17 pm

TreeTopsRanch wrote:In a previous post I recommended a google search on "How to unlock a file". Have you had a chance to try that?

Yes, I did the following but it had no effect.

The lock icon does not block your access. In fact it means just the opposite: you are the only one thathas access. For example, you can right-click any file you want, then choose "Share With: Nobody", and the lock icon will appear. If you want to remove the lock icon, simply begin sharing the file with someone again.

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues