They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

negative / slide scanner advice

Talk about anything here.

negative / slide scanner advice

Postby stefan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:58 am

Having a clear out and need to do something about all those packets of prints / negatives and boxes of slides which have not been looked at for years.

Thinking about scanning the best using Photoshop Elements 10 and then categorising in Organisor.

Currently have an old Canon Lide 50 which does the job for day to day scanning.

Do I buy a cheap film scanner or go for a photo flatbed like Canon V500?
stefan

Re: negative / slide scanner advice

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:38 pm

If you're scanning transparencies (negatives and slides) it's definitely worth the investment to get a scanner with slide-scanning capabilities.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:38 pm

I just recently purchased an HP G4050 scanner which has TMAs (Transparent Material Adapters) for 35 mm negatives, slides and a couple of other size transparencies. The negative holder can do up to five rows of seven negatives. Almost all of my negative strips have four per strip.

The TMAs are expensive if purchased new, so I bought an extra G4050 on eBay (Be careful - most of them there don't include the TMAs, even the ones that say "new") so that I could load one TMA while the other was scanning. I didn't care if the scanner worked - I just wanted the TMAs.

It's not a fast scanner (much slower than my previous HP) but does a great job.
If you do buy an HP, make sure to uninstall any old HP scanners and scanner software before installing the new one or you may have to call HP Support for help (Not pleasant :pull: ).

I had worn out the negative holders (only held one strip at a time - I had two of them) from my previous scanner after scanning about 5 years of negatives. I've scanned about the same amount with the new scanner in less time since I could do more at a time with the new scanner. Only about three more years of analog to go...
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:44 pm

I have the Canon Pixma MP990 which is not only a great printer and scanner but it also scans negative and slides.
It will scan up to 7 negatives or 5 slides and does a great job and can be run from inside of Photoshop Elements.
I have been very happy with the results and have now scanned well over 1000 negatives with it.

Prior to that I had a Canon Canoscan that would only scan one single negative or slide at a time, that was terrible.
Be sure to get something that will scan at least a full negative strip (5 - 7 images per strip) or 5 - 7 slides at one time.

The Epson Perfection models are great also if you are looking for just a flat bed scanner.

If you can afford it the Nikon Coolscan models are awesome.

There are also some nice options to check out at B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?at ... m_Scanners
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am

Because this is such a huge time sink, I was able to get all my old slides in a slide projector and project them up on a screen. It takes awhile to make sure the slide projector is looking straingt at the screen. I then set up my nice digital camera on a tripod and set it up to capture the complete image from the slide projected on the screen.

Then using the remote from the slide projector and the remote from my camera I was able to get through a couple hundred slides in just a few hours.

Before I was using a canon slide scanner and it just takes a huge amount of time per slide.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby stefan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am

I'm mostly talking negatives and my slide projector is very old, not even sure that it works.
So scanning rather than projecting has to be the right option for me.
While time is important, I envisiage this being done over time.

Envisiage workflow something like this:

Review prints / negatives identifying those to keep
scan negs / slides using organisor
Tag with approximate date.
ackup to NAS.
Print Dymo labels with file name and paths for negatives / slides I want to keep(just the best for higher quality reproduction
throw the rest away.
stefan

Postby stefan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am

Wow I wasn't expecting to have so much food for thought!!! Many thanks....

I have a few questions:

Haven't seen much about the HP G4050 in my research. How would it compare quality wise with the Epson or Canon flatbed scanners? I'd be more concerned about overall quality rather than ease of use. Because scanning negatives and slides is going to be a short term requirement.

General scanning will be longer term!
stefan

Postby Peru » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:11 pm

stefan wrote:Haven't seen much about the HP G4050 in my research. How would it compare quality wise with the Epson or Canon flatbed scanners? I'd be more concerned about overall quality rather than ease of use.

I can't speak about the Epsons or Canons, but my HP gives me high quality scans.

When working with old negatives, the quality of the negative seems to be the limiting factor. Nine year old negatives from a Canon AE-1 produced better results than twelve year old negatives from an Olympus point and shoot.
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:15 pm

I am very happy with my Epson Perfection 4490. Several years ago I scanned the old family slides and since they are in trays, I named the slides Tray1_001, Tray2_001, etc. A bulb air blower is good for getting off the dust. I used one that came with one of our cameras. Something like this one:

http://www.pandawill.com/2-in-1-rubber- ... 35797.html
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:17 pm

Where did you get that scanner from Cheryl? I seem to remember it was contest related :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Where did you get that scanner from Cheryl? I seem to remember it was contest related :)

I purchased it a few months before that contest And thru the Muvipix Amazon link. I don't remember if it was a prize or maybe it was suggested as a prize. That may have been the year one of the prizes was a Wacom.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:29 pm

I know we gave away a nice Epson scanner one year, now I wonder who it was that won that ??

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:I know we gave away a nice Epson scanner one year, now I wonder who it was that won that ??

It wasn't me. :lol:
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby stefan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi Chuck, it never occurred to me to consider a printer / scanner. I guess that I assumed that the quality would be inferior to a dedicated scanner.

But on the other hand I guess that the flatbed scanners are all old models, and the real competition is in multi function devices.

I already have what I consider a good printer, a Canon ip4700.

How would a printer / scanner compare with the Epson V500 and Canon ip4700.

The MP990 seems to be an old model. The Canon PIXMA MG8150 costs GBP 191. An Epson V500 around GBP 130 - 150
stefan

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:51 pm

Personally, I'd go with the Epson V500 Photo Scanner. It has 6400 dpi optical resolution, an LED backlight so no warmup time, and an infrared scan for dust/scratch removal. And, the price isn't bad. If you are scanning lots of 35mm film, that infrared dust removal will make your life significantly easier.
Bob

Next

Return to Water Cooler