They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

So Dee Dee, how do you like Final Cut Express now?

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

So Dee Dee, how do you like Final Cut Express now?

Postby RichardB » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:40 pm

Hi Dee Dee,

When you first posted, you had some reservations concerning FCE. I am wondering how you like it now that you have used it awhile?

I have been using PE2 but have been considering switching to a MacPro and Final Cut Express. I really like PE but am getting weary of Microsoft and all the hassles that you have to go through to keep things clicking along (virus protection, HD defrag, unexplainable program shutdowns, the usual MS stuff.) Is Final Cut worth triple the price of PE? For that matter, is whipping out $3K+ for a MacPro (almost bare bones with no monitor) worth it? I can buy one heck of a Dell for $3K. Is a Mac really all that much better? My wife does PrintShop type stuff and I do PE and PSE and emails. (What else is there in life?)

Anyone else want to chime in: please do.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
RichardB

Re: So Dee Dee, how do you like Final Cut Express now?

Postby AppaLuci » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:54 pm

Richard,
Sorry to chime in without your answer... I just wanted to say I am right there with you awaiting someone to respond to this because I've wondered the same thing. I will need to get a new system soon and have considered making the Mac leap, basically due to peer pressure (ha). I have always been a PC user, but you know, I can't possibly be a legimate "creative" type without a Mac and Final Cut, right? (especially in LA) I was relieved to find this forum to not feel like such an alien in this PE world.

Anyway, would love to hear what others here think about the whole Mac FC vs PC and PE... but more important than the fitting in thing which I sort of joke about, is the question of better performance overall and being worth so much more money.

Lucinda
AppaLuci
New User
New User

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:47 pm

This is a bit like a seance.....

....is there anybody there? Knock once for 'Yes' and twice for 'no'.

Knock, knock, knock.

Oh dear!!
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:06 pm

Maybe Dee Dee is busy working a lot of overtime to pay for that Mac!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Personal opinion. All mine. Any blame entirely to me.

I just think it sad that what is basically a (much better home for a lot of people who originally 'lived' on the Adobe PreEl) site that accommodates a request for a topic covering a different product set appears to be totally ignored once the facility has been enabled. Just my opionion. :(
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:14 pm

I sent her a private message, hopefully she will respond soon.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:24 pm

Hi everyone, sorry I did not see this. I am a legal assistant and was out of town for a lengthy and very large trial.

Believe it or not, I have not yet worked a lot with FCE. I am a very methodical person, and I hadn't yet finished the "In A Snap" book, so I wanted to finish working through that with Premiere Elements before diving in. I am almost done, and have a book lined up to jump in to FCE. I have played around with it a little and it seems very comparable.

But.... there is NO comparison to having a Windows machine versus having a Mac. I doubt I would ever go back. My computer is now not something I fight with or have a simply utilitarian relationship with, but it works with me and for me, and like, I am crazy about it. Has anyone here ever wanted to put a Microsoft bumper sticker on their car? I doubt it. How many Mac Users do? A ton. There is also a very warm Mac community out there. I have no virus protection on my Mac, and no viruses. I have never had it shut down, freeze up (when it wasn't very obviously my fault), or otherwise behave like a jerk like my Windows machine did. No more BSOD. In short, I LOVE IT!

Any of you considering a MacPro - don't wait. Get it. You will love it. And you can still use your windows programs using a virtualization program like I do or Boot Camp which is standard with the release of Leopard this month.

Yes, I am an Apple fangrl.

And did I mention that I love my Mac?
Dee Dee Warren

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:26 pm

And I will post my blow by blow FCE experience once I start. I am in the middle of a Premiere Elements video project (a music vid based on "24") but I have another Xena project floating around in my head that I will use to learn FCE with. Sorry that I am so sporadic here. For those of you who don't know - I own a very large theology forum (http://www.theologyweb.com) that keeps me very busy.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Well that will teach me to talk out of turn!! :oops:
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:48 pm

Thanks for the report Dee Dee :)

And John is really a very nice guy, no matter what anyone says ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:49 pm

Mac users definitely do love their Macs, Dee Dee. But I'd be a little careful about cruising around the internet with no virus software. One of the great myths about those machine is that theyr'e virus-resistant. Just because no one is attacking you doesn't mean you're invulnerable.

As Apple discovered when iTunes got popular, success can be your own worst enemy, and they've been outpacing Microsoft patching securities leaks in that software ever since!

And now that a version of OSX is running on the very popular iPhones, they're fast becoming a big enough target for someone to take pot shots at.

So I strongly suggest you make the investment in some security software. Remember, just because you're driving a Volvo doesn't mean you shouldn't wear your seatbelt. ;)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:51 pm

No problem at all! Thanks for PMing me about the thread. And to be honest, until after John posted, did I even figure out what he said the first time. No problem at all.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:54 pm

Dee Dee Warren wrote:Has anyone here ever wanted to put a Microsoft bumper sticker on their car? I doubt it. How many Mac Users do? A ton.

I must admit that I do love my iPod and I have two Apple stickers on my car and not one Microsoft sticker anywhere :)

Then again, Apple gave me the two stickers with my iPod, Microsoft has never given me anything free except a headache :-k

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Mac users definitely do love their Macs, Dee Dee. But I'd be a little careful about cruising around the internet with no virus software. One of the great myths about those machine is that theyr'e virus-resistant. Just because no one is attacking you doesn't mean you're invulnerable.

As Apple discovered when iTunes got popular, success can be your own worst enemy, and they've been outpacing Microsoft patching securities leaks in that software ever since!

And now that a version of OSX is running on the very popular iPhones, they're fast becoming a big enough target for someone to take pot shots at.

So I strongly suggest you make the investment in some security software. Remember, just because you're driving a Volvo doesn't mean you shouldn't wear your seatbelt. ;)

From my last research, there isn't even security software recommended for the Mac. So even if I wanted to get something, which at this point I don't believe is necessary, there really isn't anything (again from my last research). But that isn't the main point for me, virus protection programs don't really bother me - it is the usefulness and ease of use of my Mac, and its utter reliability. I am likely going to be getting a Mac laptop later this year if the much awaited ultraslim comes out. I just got an Apple 23inch cinema display monitor. What a beauty! I want to chuck my husband's Vista machine into the lake and buy him an Imac. He already is getting error messages on startup and I just had to remove a trojan horse off of it.

Did I mention that I love my Mac?
Dee Dee Warren

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:56 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:
Dee Dee Warren wrote:Has anyone here ever wanted to put a Microsoft bumper sticker on their car? I doubt it. How many Mac Users do? A ton.

I must admit that I do love my iPod and I have two Apple stickers on my car and not one Microsoft sticker anywhere :)

Then again, Apple gave me the two stickers with my iPod, Microsoft has never given me anything free except a headache :-k

I just got an ipod touch. Wow. And wow again. It is a marvel.
Dee Dee Warren

Next

Return to MAC