They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Playing videos on iPads etc.

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Playing videos on iPads etc.

Postby GerryB » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:46 am

Good morning.

Does anyone have any experience of using a video player on an iPad which plays video files coded at 25 frames per second (fps)?
I have a web site where I currently upload Flash files of rugby matches for referees to work on their development and I have avoided the need to provide files for users of Apple devices as the number of requests has been minimal. Now, however, the introduction of the iPad has changed the requirement.

For iPad users in the US there will be no apparent problem as the default there is 30fps which is accommodated by the iPad but here in the UK (PAL-land) the standard is 25fps for video players on PCs (based I believe on the TV specifications and akin to the DVD regional codes).

My question is; Does anyone know of a quality player (App) that can be downloaded to the iPad and other Apple devices to play video files coded at 25fps. Alternatively does anyone know of a coding specification that will play on either a PC or iPad regardless of the fps of the player?

I have deliberately not mentioned the suffix for the files so as not to constrain any proposal.

I can code the files in H264 at 30fps/mp4 and they play on the iPad but then they do not play on PCs.

I do not want to have to make two copies of each file, one for PC and one for Apple, as the files are 40min long and weigh in at 220MB for each half of a game. Uploading the additional files would be time consuming and the storage space on the servers would be expensive.

Is this just me having a problem or is it more widespread in the UK/EU?

Aside:
- Why have Apple restricted the iPad to only playing files at 30fps when a large proportion of their sales will be outside the US (30fps)?
- Why did Adobe abandon the Flash player for Apple devices?

Many thanks in advance,

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Playing videos on iPads etc.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:52 am

Well, it was actually Apple that rejected Adobe's Flash on their devices, Gerry, not the other way around. This is part of Apple's subtle attempt to take over the world.

It will probably be a BETTER world when they do -- but it is a strategic business practice that puts us consumers at the disadvantage for now.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:53 pm

"It will probably be a BETTER world when they do" No, No Steve, their world will end up just like the ad video where the girl comes down the aisle with a big hammer to bust the screen where every one sitting in the audience is dressed the same and look the same like androids. Apple does not want us to think for ourselves, that is why they design their computers like they do.

:-D
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:22 am

I agree. Apple's strategy seems to be a closed world. I believe that it is often referred to as a 'walled garden' approach. Monopoly supply is never a good idea which is, perhaps, why the relative openess of the PC platform has prevailed.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby GerryB » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:37 am

I bought an Android Tablet device for a different project I was working on (app development) and I tried to play videos on it. Again I could only play 30fps clips, 25fps clips just would not run. I dismissed this 'defect' as being down to the cost of the device and the retailer from whom I bought it together with its source, most probably China, therefore a very minimal build specification.

Now maybe I should rethink the requirement for having videos to play out on Apple devices!!

Are we looking at a Betamax v VHS struggle or the more recent BluRay wars?

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby GerryB » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:43 am

Steve, "TreeTopsRanch", John,

Thanks for the replies. I think I will just drop the iPad idea for my files for the moment and see what the future brings.

Apple are creating more jobshttp://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0420/apple-promises-500-new-jobs-for-cork.html in Cork, will this bring about any improvements?

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:37 am

GerryB wrote:I can code the files in H264 at 30fps/mp4 and they play on the iPad but then they do not play on PCs.

Hi Gerry. Just a thought. Do these files not play on PCs because the codec is missing or is there some other reason?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby GerryB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:55 am

John,
I did not make my self very clear!!!
As a test I used one of the .avi clips that I have and coded it with H264/25fps and it played on my collection of PCs but not on the iPad. I then coded the file with H264/30fps and this played on the iPad, I cannot remember if I tested this file on the PCs but I had found an answer to my own question.
Gerry

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues