They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Bad motherboard/BIOS?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: Bad motherboard/BIOS?

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Other things besides the power supply can cause freezing -- bad ram, video card, software, etc.. Do you have any other symptoms besides freezing? Intermittant reboots, perhaps. I'd recommend looking at the Event Viewer and check the Windows Logs for any error messages around the time and date of your freezeups to see if anything was recorded.
Bob

Postby Clayton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 pm

No Bob no other happenings. Sometimes I will set down to the PC and find it frozen or I may be in the middle of something and it just stops. Nothing works then. I am not familar with looking at event logs, but will try to figure that out.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 pm

I found the event logs, but I confess I don't have a clue what to look for. There are administrative events. log summaries and other things. What do I look for?
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 pm

Maximize the event viewer. On the left side panel, twirl open the Windows Logs item and look at Application and System. Most of the entries will be informational. Look for the red Critical and Error messages, especially around the date and time of the freezes. Any pattern or consistency?
Bob

Postby Clayton » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm

The last 2 times I know it froze has the following:
In the application log, an error with the source being ATIeRECORD and the category RESERVED16.

At the same time in the system log there are 3 items. An error with the the source as Service Control Manager.
A critical with the source as Kernel-Power
An error with the source as Event Log

Does this tell you anything. I know my graphic card is an ATI
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:47 pm

If you click on a message to select it, you should see a window with a general and detail tab that gives more information about the message. If you don't see the window, right click on the message and select Event Properties.

The Service Control Manager message is just telling you a service couldn't be started, usually because a program module could not be found. This normally should not cause freezing. You might want to see what service didn't start.

The ATIeRECORD and Kernal-Power messages could be a clue. I'm not familiar with the ATIeRECORD message. The Kernal-Power message is recorded after rebooting after the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly so you didn't have a clean shut-down. If you click on the details tab, you will get more information. For example, if it says you have a BUGCHECK CODE of 278, there was a failed attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout. If that's the case, it could be a bad video card, video driver, or overclock error. It could also be insufficient power to the video card.
Bob

Postby Clayton » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 am

Bob, attached is a copy of the details of the Kernel_Power and the ATIeRecord event logs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:02 am

Could this help in identifying the problem?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/373873 ... ort-secret
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Clayton » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 am

John, I am not sure if this would be helpful. This is allowing someone else to view your actions while waiting for the problem to occur. Mine may freeze up twice in an hour or it may go 3 days.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bobby » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:03 am

Hi Clayton. I have been lurking around and sensing your frustration. My system is very similar to yours; I think we bought about the same time. Same processor, same MB,, but I am only at 4GB and only one Raptor. I fortunately have had no problems at all.

Intermittent problems are very hard to troubleshoot and find, and sometimes you end up putting more money into an old PC than its worth, just to try and identify and failing part.

My recommenation is to use the system as-is until you can no longer tolerate the pain. Make sure you take good and frequent backups. When the pain exceeds the cost of a new system, just move on. It's probably time anyhow.

When I put my quad system in place, it was my video PC used strictly for video processing. I had another PC next to it for daily stuff. Last year, the daily PC died of old age and because I wasn't very video active right then, I just migrated everything to the quad PC. But now that PC is not state of the art any more and I am very actively shopping for new PC parts, probably an i7 6-core. The point being: a few years ago my quad was the cat's meow, now it is an doddering old hulk! Time to move on, I think, and I would give the same advice to you.

Good luck!
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Clayton » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Bobby, long time no talkee to you. Yes I am at that point, except I built mine myself. I bought a new gatway for about $600 that is an equal to my machine (for my wife and grandkids, although this machine is thoroughly used by all 9 kids) What I like about mine is the tower and housing 6 drives. I would have more if the MB had room. I have been seriously considering upgrading my video card as it is not on the adobe tested list, and I use PS a lot Also considering replacing the MB although that would be a good deal more trouble. I wouldn't worry about it, except it always seems to freeze at the most inopportune time. ](*,)
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi Clayton,

I'm afraid the entries from the event log weren't any help. The Kernal Power Critical enty was just a generic entry with no codes included. All it's saying is the sytem restarted without the system being shut down first. That's fairly common with freezes. The ATIeRECORD entry was not helpful either. While it did include an event code, I could not find anything that explained what that code signified. Unfortunately, it's not that uncommon for vendors to omit the code description tables. The error code may or may not be relevant to the problem. It could be the result of the problem instead of the cause. It is suspicious, but that's about all you can say about it. You might want to try reinstalling the video driver. But, that's a long shot.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:21 am

Hi Clayton. Sorry my suggestion wasn't of any help. I must have misread it as I thought that it recorded the last 'n' steps rather than allowing remote access to a user.

EDIT: Actually, on re-reading, I don't think that I did misread it. :???:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Clayton » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Well, I am getting this message in PSCS5: "Photoshop has encountered a problem with the display driver and has temporarily disabled GPU enhancements, Check the video card manufacturer for the latest software>" Its looking more like card problems. I am going to see if there are driver updates. If this doesn't do it, I thing I will start with a new card.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Clayton » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:30 pm

The driver update didn't change the message from PS, will see if any changes on freezes.
Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

PreviousNext

Return to Computer Issues