They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Norton Internet Security 2012

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Postby Barb O » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:03 pm

There have been multiple recommendations for Norton on this forum, so when our new Windows 7 Home Premium HP desktop came preloaded with Norton Internet Security 2012 I decided to give it a try. It is many years since I have used Norton and the current version looks very different.
My current questions are :
1 — I need to be prepared to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2012 if I can’t make it work.
What is the best method to uninstall Norton Internet Security ? For example do I download their uninstall program from their website OR initiate the uninstall from within the currently installed product OR use Control Panel ?
2 - Exactly what is it in Norton that I will need to turn off for installing Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements ? Do I also need to turn it off for installing MS Office 2003 ?
3- What is this SONAR function ? No documentation was provided so I am scrambling to find info on their web site
4- I currently have conflicting status information from NIS. The status screen is saying that the PC is secure and shows Live Update and Scans as completing on a regular basis. However, a Norton Autofix program was kicked off (automatically) and it tells me that install failed and I need to uninstall and install again. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this ?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Norton Internet Security 2012

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Hi Barb,

I have NIS 2012.

Q1: If you just want to uninstall and then reinstall. Just run the uninstall from the control panel and reboot before you do anything else. If you want to uninstall permanently, run the uninstall from the control panel and reboot. Then run the Norton removal tool from the website.

Q2: I don't know that it's as important as it used to be to disable antivirus checking during installs. NIS has significantly improved its behavior in that regard. Especially with tools such as SONAR and Insight available to it. That said, turning off NIS is very easy. Right click on the NIS icon in the system tray and select "Disable antivirus Auto-Protect". You set the duration that it will be disabled. It will restart automatically after the condition you specified has been satified. If you want to turn it back on earlier, double click on the tray icon and it will tell you you're unprotected and offer to "fix" the problem for you. Click on fix and it will turn on the disabled settings. You can also go into advanced mode and turn antivirus on and off at will. Disabling turns off antivirus, Sonar, and download intelligence.

Q3: SONAR is a behavior based malware detection technique. Malware that is new or modified may not match a signature in the virus database. SONAR looks at what the program is doing and how it behaves to detect suspicious behavior. For example, If you install a program that hides itself, downloads modules, and send something back to an external Internet site, that's pretty suspicious. With any behavorial approach there will be some false positives. I've not had any problems with it.

Insight Protection is an additional layer of protection based on trust. When you install NIS you are given the option to join Norton Community Watch. Information from the millions of Community Watch members worldwide is used to create a reputation database that assigns a trust level based on actual user experience. You don't have to join Community Watch to use Insight Protection. NIS uses the trust database to eliminate unneccessary scans, identify untrustworthy modules, and improve efficiency. If you try to install a module that is untrustworthy or does not have a reputation established, it will let you know.

Q4: Try running Norton Autofix again. Double click on the NIS icon and select "Support>Get Support" from the menu. Autofix will run. If Autofix can't correct the problem, you have the option to continue to the Norton Support site for further diagnostics.
Bob

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Barb O wrote:There have been multiple recommendations for Norton on this forum, so when our new Windows 7 Home Premium HP desktop came preloaded with Norton Internet Security 2012 I decided to give it a try. It is many years since I have used Norton and the current version looks very different.
My current questions are :
1 — I need to be prepared to uninstall Norton Internet Security 2012 if I can’t make it work.
What is the best method to uninstall Norton Internet Security ? For example do I download their uninstall program from their website OR initiate the uninstall from within the currently installed product OR use Control Panel ?
2 - Exactly what is it in Norton that I will need to turn off for installing Adobe Photoshop and Premiere Elements ? Do I also need to turn it off for installing MS Office 2003 ?
3- What is this SONAR function ? No documentation was provided so I am scrambling to find info on their web site
4- I currently have conflicting status information from NIS. The status screen is saying that the PC is secure and shows Live Update and Scans as completing on a regular basis. However, a Norton Autofix program was kicked off (automatically) and it tells me that install failed and I need to uninstall and install again. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this ?

EDIT: Bob has already answered with his usual articulacy (is that a word? :-D ). Since I went to the trouble I'll leave this here. I don't think we're too much in disagreement on any points.

1) A normal installation can be done just as effectively by either using the uninstall through All Programs > Norton Internet Security, or through Control Panel. It makes no difference.

2) You shoul not need to turn off anything in NIS to install the Adobe products. I've never turned it off for an installation and have never had the first problem.

3) The information on SONAR is available with the little "?" to the right of the SONAR section in settings, but here's the gist of it:

Symantec Online Network for Advanced Response (SONAR) provides real-time protection against threats and proactively detects unknown security risks on your computer. SONAR identifies emerging threats based on the behavior of applications. SONAR identifies threats quicker than the traditional signature-based threat detection techniques. SONAR detects and protects you against malicious code even before virus definitions are available through LiveUpdate.

SONAR automatically blocks and removes high-certainty threats. Norton Internet Security notifies you when high-certainty threats are detected and removed. SONAR provides you the greatest control when low-certainty threats are detected.

The settings I use are:
SONAR protection - ON
SONAR Advanced Mode - Automatic
Remove Risks Automatically - High-Certainty Only
Remove Risks if I Am Away - Always
Show SONAR Block Notifications - Show All

4) For your peace of mind regarding the possible failed installation you might want to uninstall and reinstall. If the problem crops up again, I'd suggest using the uninstall utility on the Norton website. However you do the uninstall, do a reboot afterwards before reinstalling. I literally install dozens of copies of Norton a year and I haven't had an installation failure in the past several years of memory. Honestly, it's a very uncommon problem. If you have any questions about anything else in the settings I'll be glad to help out. If a few items are set correctly it will do its job in the background with little or no user intervention, staying out of your way. I know that it's popular to bash Norton, but that's usually from people who don't have any recent years experience with it. BTW, I don't know where you got your copy, but it can be had best price from Amazon. I just paid $19.09 for a 1 User license, and a 1 User/3 PCs version has been running a little over $30.00.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Barb O » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:55 pm

thanks Bob
Q2 - thanks because I just did not think to right click on the icon in the tray - I did look many other places
Q3 - thanks for the info
Q4 autofix tells me there is a problem with the installation and this continues even after I do Live Update multiple times. there was 1 error the very first time I did live update - but the error description said run live update again which I did and that second time it said successful. Live Update continues to say successful now each time it runs.
Continuing to the Norton Support Site from the autofix error, it tells me to download and run NRnR tool which I did -- but it gave me an error that there was no NIS that could be redownloaded for my computer.

I am suspecting that this is a catch 22 - my NIS 2012 came preloaded on the new PC and I did activate it; however, I am still in my 2 months free trial time so I have not paid. So maybe the not paid status stops my downloading to reinstall - just a guess. Since I don't have any money paid, I don't loose money by just uninstalling - but I suspect that I can't trial again.

However, I suspect that the most pragmatic approach is just for me to uninstall. Do you think that I should use your process in Q1 where I uninstall, then reboot and then run the Norton Removal tool from the web site ? (The Norton web site had given me the impression that I would just download the Removal tool and that it would do everything required for the uninstall.)

FYI - In the short term, I have Microsoft Security Essentials download of its install on a flash drive ready to copy to the new computer to to use MSE while I am doing other installs and setting up this new PC. The first project will be a Microsoft Word from Office 2003 document that my husband is modifying with tracking on his older computer "that is not in good shape" so we want to move him off it.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:01 pm

thanks Dave,

Your post came while I was writing my response to Bob. good thought about Amazon and thanks for posting your parameters.

Not needing to turn off Norton when installing PSE or PRE is interesting. I continue to see posts on the Adobe PSE forum where people experience problems after installing with Norton antivirus active and then uninstalling and reinstalling with Norton antivirus off solved the problem.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Barb O wrote:thanks Dave,

Your post came while I was writing my response to Bob. good thought about Amazon and thanks for posting your parameters.

Not needing to turn off Norton when installing PSE or PRE is interesting. I continue to see posts on the Adobe PSE forum where people experience problems after installing with Norton antivirus active and then uninstalling and reinstalling with Norton antivirus off solved the problem.

Well it certainly doesn't hurt anything to turn it off prior to any installation of a known safe program. The fact that you've got a trial version puts a different spin on things. I don't know if the uninstall would delete the install utility for the trial version or not. My guess is that you should be able to uninstall and still be able to reinstall. I would doubt that the removal tool will uninstall the trial install utility. But I could be wrong. ](*,)

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby tjodork » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I use NIS 2012 and think its great.
It's especially great because I always get it free after rebate from Frys.com or Newegg.com.
Both sites cycle through offering NIS free after rebate and even free shipping many times.
They also offer other security products FAR also.
On Fry's you need to do 2 rebates, 1 being a competitive rebate where I have to include a photocopy
of just about ANY Symantec disk.
Symantec is also great about rebates and I've never had a hassle ....I can't say that for McAfee.
Tim
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:16 pm

Symantec/Norton recommends running the standard uninstall first. Norton is significantly better at cleaning up after itself than it used to be. The Norton Removal Program is intended to be used when the standard uninstall fails or can't be run. Remember to reboot after uninstalling -- until that is done, program modules remain loaded in memory and active.

The trial status definitely throws a monkey wrench into the situation. I don't know if that is what is interfering with AutoFix or not, but it certainly could be. You need a product key to reinstall and the perhaps the trial key may not allow that. I suspect that uninstalling the trial will end the trial and you won't be able to reinstall as a trial. Sounds like a question for Symantec.
Bob

Postby Barb O » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:09 pm

Bob wrote:Symantec/Norton recommends running the standard uninstall first. Norton is significantly better at cleaning up after itself than it used to be. The Norton Removal Program is intended to be used when the standard uninstall fails or can't be run. Remember to reboot after uninstalling -- until that is done, program modules remain loaded in memory and active.

The trial status definitely throws a monkey wrench into the situation. I don't know if that is what is interfering with AutoFix or not, but it certainly could be. You need a product key to reinstall and the perhaps the trial key may not allow that. I suspect that uninstalling the trial will end the trial and you won't be able to reinstall as a trial. Sounds like a question for Symantec.

A thank you for the help Bob, Dave, and Tim.

And a update on my status
After a few Live Updates ran (according to the default setting of frequency) now the Auto fix says that my install is OK. And it seems to me that Norton is functioning OK - but I am still watching and learning. I have more time on mt trial and I lost my direct route to Symantec support for the trial when autofix says the install is ok. So I will evaluate further and keep in mind the uninstall process in case I need it.
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:36 pm

Thanks for the update Barb. Hope all is well from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave McElderry

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Bob wrote:Hi Barb,

I have NIS 2012. ....

Hi Bob,

I've been running NIS 2011 on 3 different machines (1 XP, the others Win7 Home Premium) without issue, but now Norton is advising me to update to 2012.

This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway: If one is regularly updating NIS 2011, what additonal advantage does one get from updating to 2012?

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I'd recommend updating to 2012. It includes improvements over 2011, and It won't cost you extra as the licensing includes upgrading to the current version as long as your subscription is still active.

In addition to a smaller footprint and improved efficiency, NIS 2012 includes SONAR 4.0. SONAR 4.0 is an improvement over the version included in NIS 2011 and implements the behavioral detection I mentioned earlier. It also protects against Non Process Threats. It also includes a new version of Insight which incorporates reliability/stability in its downloaded module ratings. Identity Safe can now be set up to store your data in the secure Norton cloud and be used from multiple computers. There are other improvements as well -- more agressive virus removal, use of the NIS scheduler for custom scans, etc.. Of course, the user interface is different, but you'll get used to it fairly quickly.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:30 am

Bob wrote:Identity Safe can now be set up to store your data in the secure Norton cloud and be used from multiple computers.

Does that statement mean that I can do from any computer exactly what I can do with the one in my signature, including logging on to all my Favorites using my encrypted passwords?

If yes, then I am already :sold:

Thanks for the detailed reply.

:wvy:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:11 am

Yes, anything you do with the local identity safe vault should be able to be done with the online vault. The online vault is created and accessed through a Norton account. When you first create an online vault, it copys the data to the online vault and deletes the local vault. I'd make a backup of the local vault data first to be on the safe side. To use the online vault, you start identity safe and first login to the Norton account and then provide the identity safe password for the online vault. There is a checkbox in the configuration dialog to save the data in the online vault. If you make a change or addition to the identity safe data on one PC it will sync to the other PCs next time they sign in to the online vault.

If you do use the online vault, Norton provides a web portal that you can use to look up the information in the identity safe vault from any PC, NIS doesn't need to be installed, and you can copy/paste the information from the portal to the web page where you wish to use it. That may be convenient for a trusted computer, but I sure wouldn't do that from a public access PC.

If you have more than one user account on your PCs, you can use the local vault for them or create a new Norton Account and online vault for them. You can only associate one online vault with a given Norton account.

I am not using the online vault. I have no need for it and don't want to go to the trouble of logging into My Norton account in order to use it. The local vault does everything I need. I haven't tried the online vault to see how well it works.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:12 pm

Hi Bob,

I've installed NIS 2012 and I'm being asked whether I wish to activate Safe Search and Privary Safeguard.

What do you recommend?

:tx:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Computer Issues