They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Where Do You Shop For Computer Stuff

Talk about anything here.

Dell
9%
Amazon.com
19%
NewEgg.com
18%
Office Depot
5%
Micro Center
4%
Best Buy
14%
Frys
7%
Circuit City
1%
Staples
4%
Other
17%

Total votes : 203

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:43 pm

I am starting this poll over due to technical difficulties :)

Please choose up to three stores, if one or more stores are not in the list please select 'Other' and post the name(s) of the store(s) here.
You can vote for 3 and you can change your votes at a later date.
Thanks!
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Where Do You Shop For Computer Stuff

Postby Jayell » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:56 pm

My 'other' is CompUSA.
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:08 pm

I second the CompUSA. I use their website and the lone remaining store in Michigan is left in Lansing. The General Manager there is a great guy and I always get good service.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:33 pm

CompUSA closed almost all of their stores last year, how many are even open anymore?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:CompUSA closed almost all of their stores last year, how many are even open anymore?

According to their web site, http://www.compusa.com/locations/store.asp, there are 103 store locations.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:42 pm

They have a long and shady (MO) history, they bought a store chain called Computer City (Tandy/Radio Shack), in the 90's, which I loved. They promptly closed the stores to stop competition with the local CompUSA stores in Minnesota, which I did not like. Any company owned by someone named Carlos Slim worries me :-k
They closed all of the Chicago area stores and many others, there is a very good Wiki article about the company.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:51 am

Chuck Engels wrote:They have a long and shady (MO) history, they bought a store chain called Computer City (Tandy/Radio Shack), in the 90's, which I loved. They promptly closed the stores to stop competition with the local CompUSA stores in Minnesota, which I did not like. Any company owned by someone named Carlos Slim worries me :-k
They closed all of the Chicago area stores and many others, there is a very good Wiki article about the company.

Chuck,
Like most things in life it gets rather complicated. Carlos Slim is now the richest man in the world surpassing Buffet and Gates. He does this by taking chances when others are won't. Men at that level are intensely competitive, other call them ruthless. Even though it appears that Bill Gates has turned over a new leaf, I think it has more to do with Melinda. In any case this is far afield of the original question.

There really is not a good place to go see, touch, try, and buy computer related equipment anymore. That is the shame in all of this.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Doreen L. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:02 am

I agree there aren't many places where you can really see what a computer can do. We use to have a Dell kiosk at our local mall which was pretty good for playing with the Dells but that's now gone.

It's like buying a camcorder or digital camera. Some places let you put in your own cassette or card but trying to pull that cord out far enough to look around is impossible. At least Best Buy has TV monitors you can look at to see how the color is displayed for a camcorder. We have a chain called Sixth Ave. Electronics in our area. You can walk around with their cams and cameras, put in your own card or cassette, and they've even let me go outside (with the salesperson) to see how the equipment works in real light. If they have what I want, I buy from them.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Barb O » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:13 am

Chuck,

Since you now allow 3 choices, I really wish that I could specify one shop as primary for where I would like discounts.

You may not wish to have that complexity in the poll - but I decided to ask.

My current choice for knowledgeable staff and a good selection of equipment to try in the store is Micro Center (20 locations in USA according to their web site). Its location is horribly inconvenient for me - but it was recommended by a friend and we had a good experience purchasing a monitor in the store, so I will drive there for any significant purchase.

Barb
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:19 am

Hi Barb,
I don't think the poll offers a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, kind of option but I will check.

Micro Center by me is the same way, not convenient but the best place to shop by far.
I did find a monitor cheaper (the exact same monitor) at Circuit City last week, that was a surprise.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby larryjd1 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:04 am

Doreen L. wrote:I agree there aren't many places where you can really see what a computer can do.

When you purchase online from Dell or HP they actually give you 30 days to return any equipment. Of course you should do your reasearch upfront about processor, etc but doing it this way allows you to spend the time with your apps in your own workspace. I believe they willeven pay the shipping back.

In 8 years of buying online I only sent one machine back, and that was because they came out with a better configuration for the same price during the 30 day return period.
larryjd1
New User
New User

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:14 pm

In addition to newegg.com I like 3BTech and ZipZoomFly.

http://www.newegg.com/

http://3btech.net/

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Home.jsp

and Surplus Computers usually has some good bargains:

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby jackfalbey » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:21 am

I've bought online from Dell, Newegg and B&H Photo and in-store from Best Buy and CompUSA and had good experiences with each.

-Newegg's prices are cheap, and they took my return of a bad internal HDD but charged a restocking fee... I don't think they actually restocked a defective item.

-Dell recently took my return of a perfectly functional Siig eSATA ExpressCard because the driver was incompatible with my m6300's BIOS and they paid the shipping even though their return policy says I should pay it... one more reason that Dell is the best, despite the thick Indian accent of the CS rep. BTW, I bought a PNY eSATA card from Best Buy that works flawlessly with my laptop.

-B&H has about the best prices and CS for camera and video gear around. Anyone who has bought from them will surely vouch for that.

-My local Best Buy has been nothing but great for CS...

-CompUSA is the Radio Shack of the computer revolution; if I need cables, brackets, toner, media, whatever, they have it in stock at a good price.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kodebuster » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:15 pm

-CompUSA is the Radio Shack of the computer revolution; if I need cables, brackets, toner, media, whatever, they have it in stock at a good price.

Rumor has it that CompUSA may be folding up their tent and shutting down.

Can anyone verify this...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Clayton » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:20 pm

Clayton
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Next

Return to Water Cooler