They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

External Storage Set Up

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

External Storage Set Up

Postby JP's » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Purchased a 4TB G Raid to add to my computer.

The G Raid will be connected via firewire 400 to 800.

Will change the format from FAT32 to NTFS. Factory set up as a Raid O.

I have never installed a external drive and looking for any set up information/help, best way to back up files, set up for editing, etc..

Is it really as simple as the instructions say? :-k

James
Dell Inspiron 531, Dual Core AMD Athlon 64, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB Hard Drive, XFX Radeon HD 5770, Dual monitors, PSE6/PE4, G-Raid 4TB
JP's

Re: External Storage Set Up

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:14 pm

Pretty much. They pretty much install themselves. Although it's to your advantage to go to the drive's web site and download the latest drivers.

It's also a good idea to right-click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive. This tool will allow you to permanently assign a drive letter to this device. (Otherwise Windows might assign a different letter occasionally and your programs may think you've moved your project files!)

For video editing, you'll get the best results if you store your project files and media on your external drive. And, for very best results, open a new folder each time you create a new project. This way all of your project and scratch files will be stored within this folder. It makes it much easier to delete the project when you're done.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Steve, when I do that on my laptop the external drive letter 'E' does not show up in the list of drives. That is the drive I would like to map as when I insert a memory card the computer sometimes gets confused when doing a boot and changes the external drive letter to 'F'. That makes it impossible to do my auto backups to that 'E' drive.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:54 am

When assigning a drive letter to an external drive I choose a letter that is some way ahead, alphabetically, than the drive letters that are permanently installed.

So, in my case, I have C: D: E: and F: hard drives permanently installed. My DVD writer is J: and my BD writer is K: My external drive has a drive letter N:

So when I insert (say) a memory stick or CF card into my card reader, Windows will assign G: and no confusion arises.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby JP's » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:51 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Pretty much. They pretty much install themselves. Although it's to your advantage to go to the drive's web site and download the latest drivers.

It's also a good idea to right-click on My Computer and select Map Network Drive. This tool will allow you to permanently assign a drive letter to this device. (Otherwise Windows might assign a different letter occasionally and your programs may think you've moved your project files!)

For video editing, you'll get the best results if you store your project files and media on your external drive. And, for very best results, open a new folder each time you create a new project. This way all of your project and scratch files will be stored within this folder. It makes it much easier to delete the project when you're done.

A long time ago I read a book(s) that recommended creating a new file for each project to keep things nice and tidy.

Last night when copying 195 GBs, that little tip sure did help.

I still use PE2 in a Snap and Muvipix Guide to PSE/PE 7 as reference although I use PSE 6/ PE 4 the books still apply.

The install went smooth (it was easy). It was a little different as the instructions were for windows 2000/XP and my operating system is Vista Home Premium. When the system began the formatting it recommended that if the device was larger than 2TB to use (GUID) GPT. I used the recommendation and all is well.

I have a open project in PE 4 that when completed will be around a hour long. The current data base for the project is about 15 GB and will be about 30 GB when completed. My concern is after all the files are backed up to the external drive and the files on the C drive are deleted I may have problems with the project. Should I wait and complete the project before deleting the files?
Dell Inspiron 531, Dual Core AMD Athlon 64, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 4 GB Ram, 500 GB Hard Drive, XFX Radeon HD 5770, Dual monitors, PSE6/PE4, G-Raid 4TB
JP's

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:53 am

You can use the Project Archiver (under the File menu) to move your project to your external drive. It will move the project file as well as the media file and maintain the links between them! You can then clear the project and its media from your C drive.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JP's » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for the tip.

I will try that tonight and wait to delete the other stuff after the project is completed (pictures, video & music).
JP's

Return to Computer Issues