They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

add logo, crop and rendering as fast as possible

Talk with some experts about this compelling motion graphics and visual effects software.

add logo, crop and rendering as fast as possible

Postby MGadAllah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:14 am

This is my computer details as I've mentioned earlier:-
    INtel i7-2600K, 3.40 Ghz, 8MB Cache, LGA1155, 95W, Product Code: bx80623i72600k.
    GA-Z86A-D3-B3 - Intel Z86/rev.1.0 - Socket1155/PCI-E2.0x16/ATZ - 4 DDR3 2-CH-HD Audio - GbE LAN/2 SATA 6GB/s/2 USB3.0 - Touch BIOS, CFX, Smart Response SSD, VGA Card Required - GigaByte Motherboard.
    GV-N550OC-1G1 - NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti/PCI-E 2.0 - 1 GB GDDR5/192 bit - Dual-Link DVI-I/mini HDMI GEFORCE GigaByte.
    G.Skill F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL - DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 - 4096x4 - CL9-9-9-24 - 1.5v.
    Cooler Master Power Supply GX 650W.

I've been googling for a way to add a crop and a logo to a .MPG file and render it as fast as possible.

One of the solutions I've found in another place was when rendering videos (only in composition mode) with adobe after effects, which will consume a lot of space.

So please may some one help me and tell me how to do so as I've never used adobe after effects before.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: add logo, crop and rendering as fast as possible

Postby MGadAllah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:33 pm

Just asking if there is anything I did not clear it enough to let you know what want to do.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:49 pm

Which version of After Effects and Premiere Pro are you using??? I recall you saying that the fellow you were working with insisted on using an older version. Is this project still with this fellow and is that still an issue?

I think your best bet would be to use Premiere Pro CS5.5 for this. That release improved CUDA support and you have GPU acceleration being used in more areas including the Crop effect. The cropping of the video track and compositing the logo into the final frame image which will be compressed and exported will be CUDA accelerated. After Effects utilizes OpenGL accelleration, not CUDA although it's possible some effect plugins could, and will not be as fast. With a complex compositing project, it would make sense to use dynamic link to render the composite in After Effects from Premiere Pro. But, this is such a trivial composite that I don't see any advantage to doing that.

Exporting requires two steps: 1) rendering/compositing the sequence into the frame image, and 2) compressing with a codec and writing the file. Even if you are using CS5 instead of CS5.5, CUDA acceleration will speed up the step 1 portion of the export considerably.

Which codec to use for the export is something you will need to decide based on how you are going to use it. You should experiment with a short sample of your raw footage and see which of the codecs you are thinking of using will encode the fastest.
Bob

Postby MGadAllah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks for your reply my friend.

You mean that using Premiere with a cuda considered to be a better option rather then using AfterEffects?

What codecs you are talking about? is it something external to be installed or it is already integrated and installed along ahead with Premiere or AfterEffects?

Just to confirm that I am really newbie to the AfterEffects, and all I will need to do is importing the .MPG and add a logo, and do a crop, and export in a raw or un compressed format which will be in a big size I think, then I will encode it again using WinAVI.

Regarding do the work with Premiere, I do not know which presets should be best.

Regarding After Effects, I do not really how to do anything except Importing the file, even Google was not a friend with AfterEffects.

Thanks and too much apreciated.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby MGadAllah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:51 pm

- Later Edit -
I am using Premiere Pro and After Effects Pro CS5.
This project will be on a daily base and will long for a long time as far as I know, so the main point is to follow a scenario that is saving my time, and this was the main reason to upgrade my computers to such high hardware.
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:49 pm

Regarding After Effects, I do not really how to do anything except Importing the file, even Google was not a friend with AfterEffects.

Here is a set of 10 free basic training tutorials: http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/. The first 3 and last one should give you enough basics to do your project. But, watch them all if you have time.

You mean that using Premiere with a cuda considered to be a better option rather then using AfterEffects?

What you want to do is very basic and can easily be done in Premiere. Since you are looking for speed, the CUDA accelleration in Premiere will probably be the fastest way to go.

Regarding do the work with Premiere, I do not know which presets should be best.

Normally, you would use a sequence preset that matches the format of your footage. You can export your sequence to a different format as needed.

What codecs you are talking about? is it something external to be installed or it is already integrated and installed along ahead with Premiere or AfterEffects?

You probably have all the codecs you need already installed. If you want to use a lossless intermediate codec like lagerith (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagarith) you'll probably need to install that.

Just export the video to the format you want. You can experiment with a short segment of your video to time different formats to see which encodes faster. If you want speed, don't use vbr 2-pass. Generally lower compression is faster than higher compression, but uncompressed puts a high i/o load on your system which could adversely affect your performance. If you are exporting to standard definition, it's going to be hard to beat DV-AVI.
Bob

Postby MGadAllah » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks a lot for the full time job reply :) :like:
Bob wrote:but uncompressed puts a high i/o load on your system which could adversely affect your performance.
What do you mean? and what is the i/o?
Bob wrote:If you are exporting to standard definition, it's going to be hard to beat DV-AVI.
What do you mean by
hard to beat DV-AVI
?
Just learning!
Mohamed GadAllah
MGadAllah
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 am

Bob won't be online for a few hours yet so let me see if I can answer your questions.

Bob wrote:but uncompressed puts a high i/o load on your system which could adversely affect your performance.
What do you mean? and what is the i/o?]

Bob is referring to the use of relatively uncompressed video resulting in very large files. These will impact the performance pf your computer as the files are transferred between computer resources. For example, transferring from computer memory to your hard drive. That is input/output (the i/o).

Bob wrote:If you are exporting to standard definition, it's going to be hard to beat DV-AVI.
What do you mean by
hard to beat DV-AVI?

DV-AVI is compressed video. It offers a good compromise between degree of compression and retention of video quality.

Hope that helps. :-D
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 am

What John said... :) :like:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:39 am

What John said... :-D
Bob

Return to After Effects