They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Avid Studio- worth checking out!

Lots of discussion brewing on this awesome consumer video editing software. Would love to hear from experienced users.

Re: Avid Studio- worth checking out!

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:53 pm

I was wondering how easy it would be to create your own custom effects preset, let's say for the Sharpen effect. I found that it's easy if you know how to edit XML files. The hardest part is finding which file to edit. I found the Sharpen - CPU effect presets in a file in this folder in Windows XP:

C:\Program Files\Avid\Studio\plugins\RTFx\StudioXML\RTFX Volume 1\Sharpen-CPU.XML

I copied the fourth preset group for Soften, and then pasted it afterwards and made some minor changes. I didn't do anything about creating a new PNG file for my preset.

<PresetsList>
<Preset name="Light##translate##" piconname="Sharpen - Light.png" >
<parmvalue id="0" value="0.5"/>
</Preset>

<Preset name="Medium##translate##" piconname="Sharpen - Medium.png" >
<parmvalue id="0" value="0.75"/>
</Preset>

<Preset name="Heavy##translate##" piconname="Sharpen - Heavy.png" >
<parmvalue id="0" value="1.0"/>
</Preset>

<Preset name="Soften##translate##" piconname="Sharpen - Soften.png" >
<parmvalue id="0" value="-0.25"/>
</Preset>
<Preset name="RJSHARP35##translate##" piconname="Sharpen - Soften.png" >
<parmvalue id="0" value="0.35"/>
</Preset>

</PresetsList>

Now RJSHARP35 appears in the drop down list of Sharpen presets in the effects editor in Avid Studio.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerlinde » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:03 am

RJ, you are light-years ahead of me, but this gives me some food for thought :TU:

I have been using the program over the weekend and I really like it. I have barely scratched the surface yet.

I edited some clips from my Panasonic Lumix (1280x720 .mov files). I used the SmatSlide and SmartMovie feature and tweaked the finished movie on the Timeline. Some of my clips were very dark, since I shot them during a dinner in a restaurant.

I corrected the exposure, brightness and saturation. Rendering of the clips happened instantaneously in the background and did not interfere with further editing. What I like most is the library, that's a great feature. Export to 1280x720.mp4 did not take long and you see your movie during encoding.

The program runs way better than PRE9 on my computer, but so does MEP17.

RJ, do you know if it is necessary to re-size photos for slideshows like you have to for PRE ?
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:36 am

In the advanced tutorials the instructor brought the photos in unscaled and prefers it that way. Right now I am creating a smart slideshow with 164 unscaled photos, some are PSD composites. There's plenty of CPU and RAM left while it's analyzing the media. Okay now it's finished analyzing. Exported. No problems. Those were 6 megapixel photos.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:57 am

I installed the trial this weekend and have ben playing around with it. H.264 clips need activation so cant play with them but HDV MPEG2 clips are accepted. Certainly a nice library of effects and colour correction capabilites. The ProDad Add-ons are not included in the trial. Pity it is only a 15 day trial, I am going to have to find some time to get into it.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:34 am

You do need some time to play around with it. I just now discovered how to apply an effect to multiple clips. First select the clips on the timeline that you want to apply the effects to. Drag the effect from the library to the first clip you selected, then hold down the shift key and drag the mouse across all the clips you selected. After you let go of the mouse button, the clips will have the effect applied to them.

The clips have to be selected first. The clips don't have to be contiguous.

I must have been asleep in class when they showed that one.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerlinde » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 am

You can also copy the effects you have applied to one clip by clicking on the purple line on the clip, and then paste it to any or all of your other clips on the timeline.

I have one puzzling thing though, all my videos encoded in mpeg1 format, that I created for my KodakEasyframe, are showing in the wrong aspect ratio. The frame size is 704x400 ,par=1, sar=1.760.

They show everywhere else as widescreen, only Studio says they are 4:3. It does encode videos with my mpeg-1 settings correctly, but also shows them wrong in the library or on the timeline. :-k

Thanks for posting your findings regarding the photos, RJ!
A) i7-3930K 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo), 32GB DDR3-1600, SSD 256GB, 2x1TB+2x2TB Seagate Barracuda (72krpm), Geforce GTX 550 Ti (1GB), Win10 Pro 64-bit
B) Sony Vaio i7-3632QM,12gb DDR3-1333MHz, GeForce® GT 640M LE (2GB), 750GB (7200rpm), Win10 Pro64-bit
Gerlinde

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:17 pm

They look widescreen in Windows Media Player, but when I look at what it has for the aspect ratio, it is wrong, too wide. Corel also has a problem with them showing as 4:3.

In VS you will have to use the 2D Editor and change the Size parameters: Width 133.33%, Height: 100%

I found some more "XML" files for the presets, but they have the "FEX" file extension.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gerlinde » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:55 pm

RJ, I believe the aspect ratio for 16:9 widescreen is 1.77, so 1.76 is only slightly off.

I contributed that to the properties of the digital picture frame.
But that's a good tip with the 2d Editor, I was wondering how you would change the dimensions of the video frame.

Could "FEX" file extension maybe be a preset for export? That would be a good find too, because you can't save your own preset as far as I can see.
Gerlinde

Postby Paul LS » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Keyframes, it appears that the clip is keyframed rather than effects being individually keyframed. So if you have multiple keyframed effects you just have the one keyframe "timeline" associated with the clip, not individual effect keyframe "timelines" if you see what I mean... is this correct?

I had a quick attempt at burning a Blu-ray disc to a standard DVD, this seemed to work ok. Could not burn an AVCHD disc as it requires 5.1 surround sound audio activation.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:01 am

Paul LS wrote:Keyframes, it appears that the clip is keyframed rather than effects being individually keyframed. So if you have multiple keyframed effects you just have the one keyframe "timeline" associated with the clip, not individual effect keyframe "timelines" if you see what I mean... is this correct?

I had a quick attempt at burning a Blu-ray disc to a standard DVD, this seemed to work ok. Could not burn an AVCHD disc as it requires 5.1 surround sound audio activation.

You have a separate keyframe timeline for each effect. But some effects have various parameters --effects in their own right-- which don't have a separate envelope.

I was able to burn an AVCHD disc and play it back in my Sony Blu-ray player.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:12 am

gpecht wrote:RJ, I believe the aspect ratio for 16:9 widescreen is 1.77, so 1.76 is only slightly off.

I contributed that to the properties of the digital picture frame.
But that's a good tip with the 2d Editor, I was wondering how you would change the dimensions of the video frame.

Could "FEX" file extension maybe be a preset for export? That would be a good find too, because you can't save your own preset as far as I can see.

The export presets are stored in XML files with .XML file extensions. You can create your own presets.

You can't change the frame dimensions with the 2D editor. I don't know how to change the project settings to 704x400.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:10 am

Hi Robert, regarding keyframing. If I apply the 2D Editor CPU effect there are 10 parameters that can be keyframed... Rotation, Size, Position, Shadow, Border etc... but these no not have individual keyframe "timelines"... they have to managed on the one 2D Editor CPU keyframe "timeline". Is this correct or am I missing something? Thanks, Paul.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Paul LS wrote:Hi Robert, regarding keyframing. If I apply the 2D Editor CPU effect there are 10 parameters that can be keyframed... Rotation, Size, Position, Shadow, Border etc... but these no not have individual keyframe "timelines"... they have to managed on the one 2D Editor CPU keyframe "timeline". Is this correct or am I missing something? Thanks, Paul.

Yes, that is correct.

If you need a separate keyframe timeline, say for rotation, you can add the 2D Editor effect again to the clip, and then adjust only the rotation "parameter."

You can add as many effects as you want to a clip, I think I heard the instructor say.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:19 pm

A disappointment is that there isn't smart rendering. At least I haven't seen smart rendering.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:25 am

I am surprised, I thought that the other Pinnacle products supported smart-rendering.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Avid Studio