They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Black screen between menus.

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Black screen between menus.

Postby Chris B » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:03 pm

OK - I've got my "grand project" in DVDAS and most things are fine. The 42 video files all link appropriately together ;). (I have an open book style menu system with page turns between scenes and menus.) I have one main menu - and one scenes menu with a transition clip inbetween them. I.e.

Main menu
|
|------ Clip 1

Scenes Menu
|
|----- Clip 2

The end action for clip one is a link to the scened menu, and for clip two a link to the main menu. (I hope that is someway near clear). However - From the main menu - I select Clip 1 - which plays then the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds and then the second menu is displayed. The same also happens for clip 2. This also happens when the DVD is burnt and played on a real player as well as the preview

Any ideas what's causing this - and more importantly how I stop it happening?
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Re: Black screen between menus.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Well, your DVD player does have to navigate your disc files -- just like a computer. So it could just take half a second for it to find and load the menu page.

Is there a video background or motion menus on this video page? That too could affect how long it takes for the page to load up.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:21 am

Yes - there is.

Playing the "disk" in mplayer shows that the mid section is 5 seconds long but I on;y have two seconds of video. Is there a minimum length of video that can be used?
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:28 am

Not that I'm aware of.

But, as I said, it can take a half a second or so for your DVD player to move from track to track -- so that could be why you're seeing a brief moment of black before the menu.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chris B » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:48 am

I've re-rendered the short video clips to make them 5 seconds and the black has gone. As I said above a PC player playing of the hard disk also shows the black.
Chris B

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:55 pm

That's interesting! I'm not sure why that would be though.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bill Hunt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:12 pm

As Steve has pointed out, there can be a black "flash," or pause, as the laser moves about. This is one reason that I always have about 02 sec. of Black Video at both ends of each Timeline and have a Dip-to/from-Black Transition with the Black Video. This way, if there is a bit of black, the viewer does not see it, since it comes within an otherwise black screen.

An added bonus of having each Timeline start with that 02 sec. of black is that I use DD 5.1 SS AC3's for the Audio, and that is the recommended "amount of silence" from Dolby Labs, to allow DVD players to lock onto the Audio stream. This time to lock onto the stream is much more common on higher-end and esoteric players, and it seems that much less expensive player are not so prone to truncate the first few beats of the Audio.

Also, and especially since I use MPEG Audio in the AC3's, the block size in encoding the Audio is different than for the encoding of the Video. Though the Duration of the Video and Audio match up perfectly in the Timeline, it's fairly common for the Audio to be just a few Audio Units longer.This can create issues when authoring to DVD, or even when doing an AV file Export. For this reason, I always end all of my Audio, well within that 02 Black Video, so there is nothing to extend my Audio file, by even one Audio Unit.

These are just little tricks that I have added to my workflow, to keep unwanted things from happening, like the black "flashes," while the laser flies about.

Good luck, and interesting that a change in Duration fixed things. That could be very useful to know.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Also try on a different DVD player.

Some will be faster than others.
Peru

Postby Bill Hunt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:25 pm

Also try on a different DVD player. Some will be faster than others.

Boy, isn't THAT the truth. Some laser mechanisms do move much more quickly, than do others!

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to DVD Authoring