They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Encore DVD 1.0

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Encore DVD 1.0

Postby hpharley90 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:49 am

I saw that if I have this software I can upgrade to Adobe premiere Pro CS3 for $299.

Can Encore DVD 1.0 be used with PE2.0?

Also what is the major function of Encore DVD?
Also can you use Encore DVD with Photoshop Elements 4.0?

Thanks
Rich
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:35 am

I would suggest Photoshop Elements 5 instead of version 4 due to some major changes in how it handles layers and layer sets.

If you click on an image or menu in Encore and select "edit in Photoshop" it will open Photoshop Elements, that's how it works for me. Encore works very well with Photoshop Elements version 5.

If you get Premiere Pro you will also get Encore CS3, no more need for version 1.0 but yes you can use Encore 1.0 but the functionality is limited compared to version CS3. I purchased 1.0 so I could do the upgrade to CS3, then I uninstalled version 1.0, no more need for it after that.

With Encore DVD you can create any type of menu, sub menu, playlist, add graphics, motion backgrounds, music, change/add text, surround sound, multiple audio like narration or foreign language, just about anything anyone has ever asked for when it comes to DVD Authoring. It is similar to Premiere Elements in that it works with Timelines. I did not read any instructions at all and created my first Menu and burned my first DVD within a few hours. There is a lot more to learn but getting started was easy.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby hpharley90 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:53 am

Thanks for the quick response Chuck.

I'm buying a copy of Encore DVD 1 on Ebay cheap then I will use it for the upgrade to Premiere Pro CS3.
Thanks
Richard

Dell XPS 8940-10th Gen i7-10700 processor (8-core,16M Cache. 2.9GHz)
48GB 3200MHz RAM Windows 10
hpharley90
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Maxine370 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:24 pm

I got my CS3 Premiere Pro with Encore included and I'm really excited about it. I am up and running on Pro, having to make a few adjustments to my working style since there are some shortcuts missing and even some basic effects like clip (not to worry, I've found other ways to create my clip effects). I've got a whole new level of things I can do, while some techincal/complicated effects I created in Elements are now a lot simpler to do.

I must say that while there is a lot more I'm excited about being able to do in Encore, the program is tricky. I guess there's a bit of a learning curve and I just have to get used to it. One of my biggest problems is that it is too easy to make unreparable mistakes. I spent hours trying to create a DVD (that would take me minutes in Elements) and was almost there when I tried to create a new menu that would up replacing my main menu. Uh-oh. All my links are now reset and I have to start fresh in the AM.

Any helpful tips on using this program would be much appreciated. Until then it may be export to AVI and burn with Elements.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:13 pm

Maxine370 wrote:I spent hours trying to create a DVD (that would take me minutes in Elements) and was almost there when I tried to create a new menu that would up replacing my main menu. Uh-oh. All my links are now reset and I have to start fresh in the AM.

Any helpful tips on using this program would be much appreciated. Until then it may be export to AVI and burn with Elements.

Did this happen after you saved the new menu in Photoshop Elements or while you were making changes in Encore? I always try to start with a template and then do a 'Save As' after making changes. That keeps my original intact and then I am just working with a copy. I can go back to the original at anytime. You still have Undo features in both Photoshop Elements and Encore, couldn't you get back to the part before making the change? Maybe you could explain a little more about what went wrong.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:17 am

Chuck Engels wrote:With Encore DVD you can create any type of menu, sub menu, playlist, add graphics, motion backgrounds, music, change/add text, surround sound, multiple audio like narration or foreign language, just about anything anyone has ever asked for when it comes to DVD Authoring.

Chuck,
I am interested in being able to do a "Director's Commentary" track for a friend who is sending the wedding video over seas to family who could not make it. How difficult is it to create this inside Encore?

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:03 pm

As Beth has mentioned there is a bit of a learning curve. Just adding an alternate audio track is not difficult, creating the whole menu and designing interaction is where it will take you some time to learn.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:40 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:As Beth has mentioned there is a bit of a learning curve. Just adding an alternate audio track is not difficult, creating the whole menu and designing interaction is where it will take you some time to learn.

Chuck/Beth,
Is this more than an evening kind of time, or do I need to plan an
Apollo mission?

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:10 pm

It depends on how quickly you catch on Vernon, I had a template to start with and it took me a couple of nights playing with it before I could burn a DVD. I know you won't be able to cover everything in one evening but you might get some of the basics down, I would plan a few nights at least.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:It depends on how quickly you catch on Vernon, I had a template to start with and it took me a couple of nights playing with it before I could burn a DVD. I know you won't be able to cover everything in one evening but you might get some of the basics down, I would plan a few nights at least.

Thanks Chuck.
There is so much I would like to do. I feel like a puppy held on a leash, trying to break free and explore my new world.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:15 pm

When you get off the leash you just end up chasing cats and rabbits and getting the neighbor dog pregnant, I like the leash :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:27 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:When you get off the leash you just end up chasing cats and rabbits and getting the neighbor dog pregnant, I like the leash :)

Wooh ooh shaggy. Time for a Scoobie snack.

I was just talking to my daughter who is off to school. Their school has an unbelievable deal with Adobe. She can get virtually all of the Adobe Web/Video programs for approx $600. This would include Photoshop CS3 Extended, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Encore, Soundbooth, etc. An unbelievable deal. However, she just switched over to Mac and ain't coming back. :cry:
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Maxine370 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:21 pm

By the way, I got everything working and have burned my first DVD. The tough things for me is that you have to set your own naivagation links but also that I like to make really custom menus. I wish the menu was a bit more maneuverable like Photoshop. I guess I could always make menus is PS and import them back in.

I guess it took me a few days to catch on. I still think it's a tricky program but have a little better hang of it now.
Happy Editing,

Beth
Maxine370
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:58 pm

VernonRobinson wrote:[An unbelievable deal. However, she just switched over to Mac and ain't coming back. :cry:

But Vernon, all of those run on a MAC :)
Or is it for you? Well she can still buy the PC version for her Dad can't she?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:44 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:
VernonRobinson wrote:[An unbelievable deal. However, she just switched over to Mac and ain't coming back. :cry:

But Vernon, all of those run on a MAC :)
Or is it for you? Well she can still buy the PC version for her Dad can't she?

Hey Chuck,
This time I am a half a step ahead of you. She is checking to see what can be done. I just recently upgraded Acrobat due to Vista and it was about half the cost of this entire package.

Changing the subject... I tried to find the previous post concerning my problem with downloads. You mentioned that Ron was going to email the file. I do not believe this is required anymore. I found the culprit and it is me :roll: When I was downloading the file I chose to change the name to make it something more descriptive or memorable instead of something like "tracks.zip" I may have changed the name to be "How to Use Tracks in PrEl". This resulted in an incomplete download, thus the error when I tried to extract the files later. It seems that the header portion was written, but no actual data was transferred. Thus the archive knew what it should have, but it was never there. When I stopped changing the names of the downloads, the download process worked as advertised.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to DVD Authoring