They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Santa Rosalia

Show your stuff, whether it's in the local Gallery or offsite, get critiqued in here.

Santa Rosalia

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:27 pm

Part of a 'work in progress' of my stay in Sicily....I'm not at all happy with the 'zoom in' so that is still being worked on....amongst other things.....

[wmvvideo]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10012/Santa_Rosalia.wmv[/wmvvideo]
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Re: Santa Rosalia

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 pm

This is beautiful, beautiful stuff, John! And your poetic narration just makes it all the more powerful.

The zoom in from space is probably less of an issue than you think it is. I loved it! It really orients the story.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby rusty » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:09 pm

I agree with Steve. Very nice. The zoom works well, although I'm guessing you want to smooth it out some. That's always what the artist wants to do, but for the audience it is nice as is. I know you introduce Ave Maria a little ways in, but I did feel like I wanted a bit of music from the start. That's the only thought I have. Having such nice quality video to work with sure helps the final product.
Russ
rusty
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Beautiful area & classy narration. The zoom into earth looked great. The only suggestion would be to slow the zooms on the cave photos. Wanted more time to see the photos.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby ed » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:28 pm

I love it. I like how you speed up the duration of the path photos. It kinda made me feel I was traveling it.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby StuOS » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:20 pm

Nicely done. You have a great speaking voice.

I agree that it would be good to have some music up front. In addition, my version of Google Earth has a slider bar that allows you to hold the slider at a certain place that gives a constant zoom speed, so that should take care of that issue. If you can't do that, try dissolving from one still to another in rapid succession so that the jerkiness looks planned. The pan that you did over the city is nice, and appears to be a hand-held shot. It was very smooth for hand held. In the future, you might want to give some consideration to acquiring a fluid pan head for your tripod, because it will smooth out the pans tremendously. Failing that, you can try an old trick I use. Get a piece of chain and attach it to the bottom of your camera (I usually just attach it to the quick release plate from my tripod). When you pan, step on the chain and brace the camera against it. You'll be surprised how well that can work with some practice.

Another thing to consider is sound quality. You had a bit of an echo there, and I don't know if you were using the camera's mic or an external. Camera mics are omnidirectional. If you want better sound quality with one of them, get inside a closet with lots of clothes around and speak. The clothes will deaden the echo. If you're using an external mike with a cardiod or super-cardiod pattern, position it above your mouth to lose most of the clicks and pops (not that you had many), get into a dead room, and aim your voice into something that will absorb most sound (stuffed furniture, a closet, etc.)

Once again, great job! I enjoyed it.
StuOS
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:55 pm

John, I really liked nearly everything about this clip. I give it a 9 out of 10 for its genre. Very watchable. I'd give money to have a narration voice like yours. I do have a suggestion...take it for whatever it's worth. About halfway through you start doing some pan and zooms on some stills. After the transition there's a moment's delay before the pan/zoom begins. I personally find this a little unsettling, for some reason that I've never quite figured out. In my own slideshows I like to start the pan/zoom just before the transition itself so that as the slide comes into view from the dissolve, the pan/zoom is already in motion. This lends a smoother, more consistent flow/feel to things. My humble opinion.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:20 pm

Haven't been on Muvipix for a few days as I have now relocated back to the UK which has taken some time. transporting by road items from Sicily (including a few bottles of wine, Bill Hunt :razz: )

Many thanks for your kind comments. As I said, a bit of a work in progress but I will try the things that you have all suggested and (time permitting) will re-post the finished item

There's just that little matter of Christmas looming which will eat into my time (and yours too, I suspect). So it'll be sometime in New Year..... :???:
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Showcase