They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

corner pin, audio, motion, zoom, etc.

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

corner pin, audio, motion, zoom, etc.

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 pm

well here's a full smorgasbord of issues for all experts out there - that would be pretty much anyone but me!!! :(
i have the start of a video i'm making for someone who used my camera on a trip to glacier national park

[wmvvideo]http://muvipix.com/cpg/albums/userpics/12061/Untitled.wmv[/wmvvideo]
my issues are...

AUDIO - the voice near the beginning is drowning in the music they were playing in the vehicle. is there any way to clean that up? i used a few things like balance and channel volume to try to feature the voice over all else. it's fits perfectly as a lead in to the video and i just can't part with it.

ZOOM - how do i easily zoom in - i've started tinkering with keyframing a lot and think i may be reinventing procedures that already exist. when i move in on the glacier entrance sign i'm just using the motion property to scale it increasingly larger and move it to keep the sign visible. the same with the photo that is placed on top of the sign. i just keep trying to make it bigger and move it to keep up with the changing size and position of the entrance sign. is there an easier way?

PROJECTING AN IMAGE ON ANOTHER - the photo projected on the entrance sign seemed to work well. i used corner pin and it looks not so bad. i think i should shorten the time it takes to move into the projected picture to focus on the little sign (if you can't read it, it says "going to the sun road completed 1932). it's a photo i took years ago but ties in with the first voice talking about wanting to see gtsr. when i project the video on the sign i had a lot of trouble using corner pin. any ideas? and yeah, i know the transition from the corner pin video to the full size video is nonexistent but i just wanted to get this thing posted and try to get some answers...

also...is the correct method for projecting to place the projection on top of the background image or do you cut out an area of transparency in the background and let the projection show through? i guess i'm thinking of cheryl's 60's video. no matter how many times i watch the looking into windows thing i can't quite figure out what is happening. i'm thinking what i'm trying to do is similar. any tips cheryl would be soooooo welcomed.

well there ya' go...if anyone wants to take a stab at these...PLEASE DO !!! THANKS
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: corner pin, audio, motion, zoom, etc.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:25 am

It looks like you're doing just about everything right visually! You may want to speed up the pacing a bit -- but your keyframed zooms seem to behave exactly as you'd like them to.

Is there an issue with them that you're not happy with?

As for the voice at the beginning, right-click on the audio track, select Audio Gain and then Normalize. It won't work miracles.

You've got a lot of background noise that it will be nearly impossible to filter out. But at least the voice should sound fuller and louder.

Overall, it's a very nice piece! Some very nice work here.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby momoffduty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:51 am

First off....Great keyframing! You have the corner pin & zoom down pat. It is difficult to have them move at the same time when superimposed on top, but you did that very smoothly. An option would be to have your picture not moving & put the video file on top for whatever length you wish. Export that short segment as an AVI and then use that file to zoom into. But, the downside is losing resolution. Would be okay if you were zooming very quickly and then using different video when full zoomed. The way you did it takes longer, but the outcome is much, much better.

To answer the cut out question. In my project I scanned old family slides at 400dpi and size was around 2300x1600. Tested out several sizes to see what looked best. The first 2 images were poor slides so couldn't get them any better. Depends on your computer, my old one would crash with file sizes this big.

Cutting out: Not a photoshop person, so maybe the photoshop gurus will step in here with better suggestions. I noticed that when I used the eraser tool the edges were not as good as using the selection tool to cut out. In one pic there wasn't a window so I made one using a stroke outline to simulate a window frame and cut out the center. For the movement, keyframed the top pic that had a cut out and got the timing adjusted. Then put the other pic on a track below and keyframed its movement & scale to try and keep its relationship with the cut out window. Lots of keyframes.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:04 pm

I agree with everyone else, you're doing a great job. I think you are doing everything right, sometimes there just isn't an easier way.

You might want to add an Edge Feather to the first video when you have it placed over the sign. That should blend the video with the sign a little and make it less obvious that it isn't part of the sign.

The audio will be tough, audio is the hardest thing to fix during editing. That is why it is so important to get the best audio possible when recording. Try working with the Dynamics Effect and also the effects that Steve recommends, something will probably help bring out the voice more. I also like the Notch Effect to help remove some of the background noise, but they don't always work, as every audio clip is different.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:00 pm

Hi Agree with the others and keep up the good work! One suggestion I have is to make the lightning visual in the beginning a short duration and maybe make reveal the title of the video.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:34 pm

thanks so much to all of you - your compliments are very encouraging and your advice is always appreciated. i'm trying out some of the things you suggested and even had an idea of my own to help the corner pin issue...i thought i might "cheat" and slightly rotate the photo with the deer and little sign as it zooms in so that the video can display straight instead of having to tilt it. devious? whatever works, right?

anyway, i just wanted to thank you...i'll report back on how things are working out...just wish there was more time to work/play with this stuff, but tonite was garbage and laundry and then i discovered my cat had dragged clothes under the bed and was eating them (again!!! just spent almost 100.00 at the vet less than 2 weeks ago 'cuz of the dumb stuff she eats) so i had to have a meltdown ('cuz clearly this habit could kill her) and now i gotta' give her a large dose of laxatone (typically used for hairballs) to keep the fabric moving thru her. [-o< plus i've been watching my son's cat for weeks and every few minutes i have to get up from the computer to break up a cat fight!! :pull:

so, again - THANKS for the suggestions and encouragement - and if anybody's got any advice on keeping a cat from eating fleece, dishrags, knit clothing, flipflops, blankets, rugs...that would be nice too 8-[
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:06 am

videovillageidiot wrote: and if anybody's got any advice on keeping a cat from eating fleece, dishrags, knit clothing, flipflops, blankets, rugs...that would be nice too

At PetSmart or any pet store you can find a nice little spray called Bitter Apple, it works wonders ;)
It tastes terrible but is completely natural and harmless. You can spray it on things to make them undesirable, or you can spray the cat's mouth when it grabs something that it shouldn't. Doesn't usually take long before they start leaving those things alone, they really hate the taste of that stuff. Works even better for dogs, cats are a little more stubborn and persistent ](*,)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Prior Versions