They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Re: System Restore - Just a Reminder

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:21 am

A hangover from the early days of Windows and the (then) much smaller hard disc sizes was the default size of the system restore setting, which was originally 12%. On a hard drive of 20Mb (yes, we used to have them and thought that they were HUGE!) 12% is not a lot. But with newer drives of (typically) 500Gb that still existing default 12% (in Windows XP) means that the system restore area reserved by Windows is a large 57,232Mb. That is a lot of HD real estate to give up.

To change the setting to free up some hard drive space go to Control Panel>System and select the System Restore tab. Select the hard drive from the table and click on Settings. Adjust the slider to reduce the disc space allocated. Others may have different views but on my system volume I have a 3% setting which is still a rather generous 3,594Mb. Check the setting for any other hard drives that you may have.

:arrow: EDIT:

The above is for Windows XP. For Windows 7 go to Control Panel>System then click on Advanced system settings, select System Protection, click on the drive letter and select Configure and then adjust the slider as required.
Last edited by John 'twosheds' McDonald on Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Changed title - made it a stickie
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:43 am

Great tip, John. I'm going to do that right away!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Vera S » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 pm

You're absolutely right, thanks a lot =D>
DELL 9150, D 930, 2 GB Ram, 2 160 SATA HD, Nvidia 7900 GS - Panasonic NV-GS 75 - Canon Powershot S 80 - WinXP Prof SP3
Vera S
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:23 pm

I think the title of the thread is a little misleading... should be "System Restore file" size not Pagefile size.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Just so you know, Vista works differently than XP in regards to the system restore points. Vista creates restore points using the shadow file capability of the NTFS file system and does not reserve space for this purpose. When a restore point is created, it allocates space from the free space existing at that time. If space is not available, new restore points will overwrite the oldest ones. A minimum of 300 MB free space is necessary to turn on the function on a specific drive. If space is available, up to about 15% of the volume could potentially be used for this. But, remember, this isn't pre-allocated and you aren't prevented from using the space yourself.

The space for restore points can be easily released using the disk cleanup utility. When you execute the ultility, choose to cleanup "files from all users on this computer", you will need to have administator rights to do this, then under the "more options" tab, you can delete the shadow files and all but the most recent restore point.
Bob

Postby Ron » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:07 am

Paul LS wrote:I think the title of the thread is a little misleading... should be "System Restore file" size not Pagefile size.

You're exactly right, don't know what I was thinking at the time :oops:

Fixed. Thanks, Paul!
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jayell » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:21 pm

Wow! I was using 21MB (max). Thanks for the tip!
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby kodebuster » Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 pm

If you like Windows Restore and find that you need it's services on a regular basis, then take a peek at Rollback-rx from Horizon Data Systems:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

I installed this Utility when I purchased my my i7Core with Vista-64, and I bless the day that I did.

This app is Win Restore on steriods and it has saved me countless hours of busy work with install issues, and wayward app's and codec's.

It works exactly as advertised, it's a winner, and it's worth every cent of it's purchase price.

I won't run any of my primary Windows based systems without it after having used it for about a month now.

Need to install an unknown app or codec, afraid it will screw up your system, simply take a SnapShoot in seconds, if it doesn't play nice, Rollback your Image (and data) with a simple re-boot, and your whole once again.

With all of the app's needed for Editing, file convertions, and just keeping your Image tuned, this puppie is worth a look...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 20, 2009 3:34 pm

Looks very cool, I'm thinking this would be an excellent investment :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby George Tyndall » Wed May 20, 2009 5:59 pm

kodebuster wrote:If you like Windows Restore and find that you need it's services on a regular basis, then take a peek at Rollback-rx from Horizon Data Systems:

http://www.horizondatasys.com/169614.ihtml

Thanks for the link. :TU:

Is the chief difference between this program and Acronis True Image that the former is vastly faster?

If one has the ability to immediately roll back, is it still necessary to have a security suite installed?
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Wed May 20, 2009 7:03 pm

George Tyndall wrote:If one has the ability to immediately roll back, is it still necessary to have a security suite installed?

If there's a cure for lung cancer, is it still necessary to avoid cigarettes? I say it's always better to avoid the problem in the first place than to have to rely on a quick fix later on.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby kodebuster » Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 pm

I agree, Anti-Virus & Malware software is a must in todays environment.

Rollback-rx will certainly make life easier if something gets past your current Firewall or software, but I use it primarily as a way of testing new app's, codec's, OS updates, and stuff like that.

Plus it's a nice security blanket if Microsoft or it's cronies screw up a recommended device driver or software patch, and the next thing you know your Image or Registry looks like a wildman had access to it.

Unless I encounter a HW drive issue, I don't need Acronis, cause Rollback is active at all times and I can roll to any image SnapShot I want (plus roll forward all data files, or view and copy any folders/files via a Virtual Disk for any SnapShot. I believe Acronis also has this feature on it's latest release.).

Download the Trial, give it a spin, it's worth taking a look at, or adding it to your toolbag.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed May 20, 2009 9:48 pm

I would still do a drive clone and regular backups with Acronis, but this would be for the quick rollbacks when testing. It would also be great for uninstalling trial software that I don't want to keep. It would do a much better job of cleaning up the install than the software's uninstall programs do. Think of it as more a technical aid/tool rather than a backup device.

If the drive crashed it wouldn't do you a bit of good, then you will be happy to have the Acronis backups :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kodebuster » Thu May 21, 2009 2:00 pm

I would still do a drive clone and regular backups with Acronis, but this would be for the quick rollbacks when testing. It would also be great for uninstalling trial software that I don't want to keep. It would do a much better job of cleaning up the install than the software's uninstall programs do. Think of it as more a technical aid/tool rather than a backup device.

If the drive crashed it wouldn't do you a bit of good, then you will be happy to have the Acronis backups

Chuck you got it, and are absolutely correct...

An Image/Clone backup via Acronis (or whoever) is a must when your facing a complete disaster.

Rollback-rx is the quick and dirty for testing, updates, new Device Drivers, codec's, patches, etc., etc., etc...

It's much better/faster than Win Restore, with a ton of features that make keeping your System Image safe a no-brainer, and it will keep you from going postal when all hell breaks loose....

kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed May 04, 2011 11:11 am

kodebuster wrote:

If the drive crashed it wouldn't do you a bit of good, then you will be happy to have the Acronis backups

Chuck you got it, and are absolutely correct...

An Image/Clone backup via Acronis (or whoever) is a must when your facing a complete disaster.

Rollback-rx is the quick and dirty for testing, updates, new Device Drivers, codec's, patches, etc., etc., etc...

It's much better/faster than Win Restore, with a ton of features that make keeping your System Image safe a no-brainer, and it will keep you from going postal when all hell breaks loose....

Thanks for supplying the link to this thread, John, and to kodebuster for mentioning the rollback software.

Given that a) System Restore. the last time I used it (long ago), said it was unable to complete the restore and b) I'm still not sure Acronis for Win7 actually works (I've made plenty of backups but haven't yet needed to perform a restore ), I'm going to look into the rollback software.

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues