They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Dual Layer DVDs...

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Dual Layer DVDs...

Postby jjasond » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:31 am

Has anybody had experience with burning dual layer DVDs? I need to put a 2 hour movie on a DVD, I am wondering if I should use two single-layer DVDs or a dual-layer DVD, or squeeze it onto one single single-layer DVD.
Apart from the expense (they are really expensive here in the UK) I have heard that dual-layer DVDs have problems on some DVD players, and particuarly where they change layers. Anyone had any experience burning to them?
jjasond
New User
New User

Postby Bobby » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 pm

I have no direct experience, but after going through all the hassle with DVD+R and -R compatibility, I don't need any more aggravation. The last time I did a 2 hour project, I did put it on two single layer DVDs, and just got a nice 2-DVD case to hold the result.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Helen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:38 pm

I have burnt one project to a dual layer dvd and could not get it to work on any of our dvd players. It would stop at the point where it changed layers and not go any further. However, I could view the whole movie on our Playstation 2, so obviously the problem is with our dvd players.

I ended up compromising on quality a little and burnt my project onto a single layer dvd. Family and friends did not notice the loss of quality and were happy with the final result. I mainly noticed the loss of quality when subjects were moving fast in the movie and it appeared a little jerky.
Helen :)
Helen
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:23 am

I have used Verbatim dual layer, authored with Encore, and have not had any issues with my DVD players (Toshiba, Pioneer and Sony).
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to DVD Authoring