They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Hi

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Re: Hi

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Get a new PCI Firewire card, shouldn't cost more than $20 USD.
No drivers are necessary, Windows already has the drivers and should install without any problems.

You could try removing your current card from the Device Manager and then remove it from the computer and restart.
Then shut down and install the card again and see if Windows will install it correctly this time. If not then just get a new Firewire card.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:23 pm

sounds like good advice, Chuck ;)

what i think has happened is that i was using the firewire card parallel to the Pinnacle firewire - both these devices decided to work in tandem for some reason - when i pulled the Pinnacle it totally fazed the firewire pci: didn't notice till i tried it this evening

will update + thanks again

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:58 am

hi,

firewire card started working this morning then stopped again - but worked long enough for me to connect the dv cam to PE3 - this worked perfectly until i tried to save what the camera was looking at, and PE3 told me there was no tape in the cam (correct) and that date/time hadn't been set on it (which i never do)

question: how do i record direct from my cam onto the hard drive, via PE3 please? there must be a way to do this, because PE3 supports web cams, so the tape/date request shouldn't come up for direct capture?

must go out now and get that new firewire card - and hope my system isn't starting to play games with me - after the brief success with the cam, the pc froze and had to be unplugged, in lieu of the good ol' restart button, which modern pc's seem to lack? :o

PE3 hasn't given me any worries so far, apart form the cam hook-up, and i am hoping this was down to the faulty firewire - PE3's been working great ;)

bests

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:18 am

These types of questions are probably best posted to the main forum, Ric, where they're more likely to get noticed.

But, meantime, the short answer is that either the program will recognize your webcam or it won't. So, if you're not seeing a capture connection with your webcam from Premiere Elements' capture workspace, yours likely isn't compatible with the program.

This is only because there are so many different cams out there and so many different ways that they interface with your computer. (USB webcams can be particularly problematic for Premiere Elements.)

But, as I said, if you post this up in the main forum (and I'd include the specs on that webcam), maybe someone else can offer some advice on making it work.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:18 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:These types of questions are probably best posted to the main forum, Ric, where they're more likely to get noticed.

But, meantime, the short answer is that either the program will recognize your webcam or it won't. So, if you're not seeing a capture connection with your webcam from Premiere Elements' capture workspace, yours likely isn't compatible with the program.

This is only because there are so many different cams out there and so many different ways that they interface with your computer. (USB webcams can be particularly problematic for Premiere Elements.)

But, as I said, if you post this up in the main forum (and I'd include the specs on that webcam), maybe someone else can offer some advice on making it work.

sorry Steve, we are at cross purposes

i connected a Canon MV830i dv cam to my pc this morning and while the firewire hub worked, it connected the cam to PE3 and i had a picture in PE3 of what my cam was pointing at: so we have compatibility

my question was

what do i do to directly capture imagery from my cam, via PE3 to my harddrive please?

ie. without first recording the imagery on tape or memory card

many thanks

secondly - the firewire hub was a Belkin / Texas Instruments PCI - i took the old one out and replaced it with a completely new one - same error message in Device Manager #-o

now have a brilliant dv software that cannot have dv cam input because there are no functioning firewire cards in the mobo :pull:

have notified the shop and emailed Belkin

can anyone recommend a different brand of firewire PCI please?

thanks

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:25 pm

Again, Ric. I think you're burying your questions by tagging them onto this thread.

Why not post them in the main forum, where everyone can see them and respond?

And do note if that FireWire card is OHCI-Compliant. That seems to be the only qualification.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Hi [ps]

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:28 pm

ps.

suppose in the worst case senario - failed firewire pci compatibility - i presume i could capture what i wanted on a different pc then import the AVI or MPEG into PE3, where the plug-in filter is. on condition that Adobe will accept dv files from other softwares. am fairly confident that this will be okay because the video files i recently trialled in PE3 were captured in Pinnacle Studio, and Adobe PE3 had no trouble whatsoever in editing these files (and turning them into Adobe icon files)

8-[

thanks

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:32 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Again, Ric. I think you're burying your questions by tagging them onto this thread.

Why not post them in the main forum, where everyone can see them and respond?

And do note if that FireWire card is OHCI-Compliant. That seems to be the only qualification.

thanks Steve

what is OHCI-Compliant please?

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:57 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OHCI

Most FireWire cards will list this right in their specs.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:10 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OHCI

Most FireWire cards will list this right in their specs.

thanks Steve,

the firewire hub/pci (make) has worked on this xp for years and i'm afraid the wiki article leaves me none the wiser as to why i should suddenly be experiencing issues here - is there a muvipix forum where i can discuss this matter please?

just swopped a usb pci into the socket i was using the firewire in and it works fine - so it is not a defect in the mobo pci sockets

thanks again

R
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:25 pm

There is a Muvipix forum for Computer Issues :)
viewforum.php?f=4
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kr236rk » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:09 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:There is a Muvipix forum for Computer Issues :)
viewforum.php?f=4

;)
kr236rk
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Previous

Return to Introductions