They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Amazon's new company - DVDs on Demand

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

Amazon's new company - DVDs on Demand

Postby cdeemer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 pm

For those of you who want to market your DVDs or just to make them widely available, check out the new Amazon subsidiary http://createspace.com Create Space, which offers print on demand DVDs. If you do the production work yourself, you can get into their estore free -- and their packaging, which I've just tested, is absolutely first rate professional, just like the DVDs you pick up at Blockbuster. This is really a fine service if you need a few first rate copies for yourself or are marketing your work. Lulu does a similar service but the interface and quality here are much better. Check it out.
Editor, Oregon Literary Review
Artistic Director, Small Screen Video
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Amazon's new company

Postby sidd finch » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:04 pm

WOW this is really cool. This is a great way to sell DVD. What a great find

SIdd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Amazon's new company - DVDs on Demand

Postby Paul LS » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Yes, I was reading about the bookstore of the future. You can buy any book ever written and it is always available although they hold no stock.... Basically all books are held in electronic storage and when you want a copy it is printed out and bound there and then. :-8
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cdeemer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:09 pm

POD for books has been around a while ... I did my first POD book about 7 or 8 years ago ... but I think it's a pretty new application to extend this to DVDs. It's perfect for me, who usually needs maybe a dozen copies, a hassle to do myself, too few to do commercially (I usually end up doing 25 commercially and giving them away).

What impresses me most, though, is the packaging.
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ken Jarstad » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Kunaki is a similar service.

http://www.kunaki.com/Home.asp?cc=
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby cdeemer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:34 am

Kunaki has great prices. The packaging might not be as good, would have to test one.
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby cdeemer » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:00 am

I checked out Kunaki in some detail. It would be a good way to go for a commercial DVD expecting significant sales. Its packaging is practical but far less attractive than at Create Space, so for a few personal copies, I prefer the latter even though its cost to author is greater. The difference is K offers a simple plastic container while CS uses the full commercial case. K is about half the price. You get what you pay for. K offers inexpensive clean copies, CS offers more professional case packaging. Also CS puts you in the Amazon database automatically. You have to do all that yourself with K. I can see advantages to each. I may use K, for example, to give extra copies to the actors.
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby SteveG » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Has anyone here tried this Createspace?

I read with great interest a while ago about this site. Now I am seriously looking into this. But it doesn't seem to be too much of a good deal. Does anyone disagree?

The fees are stated as $4.95 base fee plus %15 per DVD. That is through the eStore. If it's though Amazon then it's $4.95 plus %45 per DVD. That seems a little steep don't you think?

I also see this as burned copies. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

It's a great idea and I like it and I want to use it but I'm not so sure it's worth it.
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:28 pm

My daughter is publishing her book using Creatspace and Steve does all of the Muvipix Guides that way :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Paul LS wrote:Yes, I was reading about the bookstore of the future. You can buy any book ever written and it is always available although they hold no stock.... Basically all books are held in electronic storage and when you want a copy it is printed out and bound there and then. :-8

BYU I believe is the first college to have one of these. I unfortunately am at BYU-Idaho.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby tiny » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:02 pm

If I'm reading this right, they will send you your first copy (proof copy) free?
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:17 pm

Createspace charges for the proof, about $10 including shipping but it depends on the size of the book.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby SteveG » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 pm

It's good to know that it works well. Does anyone have experience with this for DVD's?
Steve G

Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip.
--Will Rogers
SteveG
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby cdeemer » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:18 am

As I said before, I do all my DVDs here, very satisfied customer. But this is POD, not for mass production!
cdeemer
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:23 am

Good point, Charles.

The advantage of print-on-demand is that you have no warehousing, since nothing is produced in advance. Books, DVDs, CDs, etc. are only produced as they are ordered. Amazon takes their cut and the author gets his/hers. And this is a great system if you're only selling up to a couple hundred pieces a month.

It's not the best system for turning out best-sellers and major releases, since printing costs are much cheaper if you're doing thousands of pieces at a time. Which is why we have trouble competing with the big boys, like PeachPit Press and Missing Manuals, who can turn out 2 and 4 color books that undersell ours.

On the other hand, they don't have the amazing support of our great Muvipix moderators behind their products either, so our books are ultimately a much better deal. ;)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to DVD Authoring