They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Cheers from Sunny Arizona

A place to introduce and tell a little about yourself.

Cheers from Sunny Arizona

Postby Bill Hunt » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Cheers to the forum members. I’m Bill Hunt and have just signed up for Muvipix. On one hand, I’m probably the senior member here, but also the newest member.

I started as a gaffer and second-camera for my father, who did stringer work for a television station in New Orleans, our largest near-by market and about 75 miles away. This was back before color TV had saturated the market, and we most often shot hurricane footage, or local news events, on Bell and Howell DR-70s, or a Bolex H-16 Rex, and shipped the unprocessed 16mm B/W, via Greyhound bus, to the NBC affiliate in NOLA.

I started my collegiate career in Commercial Art, until a counselor convinced me, that with my match skills, I’d make a lot more money in Engineering. She was right, but after graduation and six years in structural design for the petro-chem industry, I was badly missing the “art” end of things.

Along the way, I’d picked up still photography, so I put myself back through college to get a degree in Cinematography. When I walked out of film school, I thought that I’d spend half of the day behind a Cambo and the rest of the day with an Arriflex on my shoulder. Unfortunately, it did not work that way, as all of my clients were using me for still work.

Back when I went through film school, video was either live-feeds from studio cameras, or 2" tape. Editing it was rudimentary, at best. A lot of tape was still being physically spliced on a 45ÌŠ angle. The term, ENG, had not yet been coined. As I did not like the look of tape, I passed all the video blocks, but paid little attention to it, as a medium.

After graduation, I did work towards an MFA and also graduate film studies. This was for the knowledge, as I was not planning to use either advanced degree for employment.

Fast forward 30 years, after spending my life doing advertising still photography, to a couple of years ago. I was winding down my career, and paring down my client list to just the best ones. Along the way, I had picked up an early copy of Pinnacle Studio and had begun playing around with NLE work.

I had spent the last 15 years doing digital image manipulation and finally digital capture, though I still shoot 4x5 on silver capture and have it scanned. During the “digital revolution,” I had picked up Aldus PhotoStyler and PageMaker. The lad that we owned had been heavily involved in analog image compositing, and we’d thought long and hard about acquiring a Scitex unit. I soon found out that digital image manipulation was the future. When Photoshop hit the PC (had to use a PC, as both IBM and HP were big clients of mine), I got the first copy. In time, I was doing compositing and creation on a computer and better than our lab could do analog. I had to hide the fact that I was on a PC, as all of my clients were Mac folk, and thought that a PC would ruin, or at least cast a curse, on any image that it touched. I was able to read their Mac files, and output to SyQuest 44's and they never suspected that I was on the “dark side.” After a couple of years of this, I was teaching Photoshop to the ASMP “Digital Users Group.”

By the time that I was winding down the still business, and was starting to reconnect with my film background, but it was digital video now - no cellulose, no Moviola 8-plate editor. Soon, I was hooked. I was going back to my “roots,” but the medium had changed during the 30 years of my absence.
After a couple of years with Pinnacle Studio from version 5 thru 10, I gave up, and went to Adobe with their Production Studio CS2. Since I had owned most of Adobe’s portfolio for many years, they made this easy for me.

Over the years with NLE work, I began picking up clients, who needed post-production editing work. Unfortunately, I wasn’t doing any shooting, but at least had my hands back in “movie” production.

I used PP2 (full Production Studio) for several years, then picked up PE4 to bridge a format gap. In my attempt to learn this new program (similar to PP, but different enough, that I needed to become a “student,” yet again), I went to a known resource, the Adobe User-to-User forums, but for PE, instead of After Effects, PP, Encore, Audition, InDesign, Go-Live, Illustrator and Photoshop. It was in the PE forum, that I first learned of this site. Based on the recommendations, and samples of the knowledge being offered, I joined.

Here I am, the quintessential student. I will always be ready to learn and hope to share a few experiences for others, along the way. Heck, after having used Photoshop on a commercial/professional level, since ver. 2.5, I learned something, a few days ago, that I did not know and I taught that program to peers for some years. I do the same daily with PP, PE, Encore and After Effects, but I’m rather newer to all of those. I’m much newer still to PE.

Glad to be here, and actually hope to get a camera on my shoulder, rather than just an NLE at my fingertips.

Outside of photography, cinematography and digital manipulation of each, I'm a major wino, food critic and travel writer, based in Phoenix, Arizona. No children, except for two lovely English Bulldogs. Married for 37 years to a hospital president/CEO. We get to travel the world, AND mostly on business. I get to be her sommelier for her business diners. When I'm not on and Adobe forum, or touring a winery, or taking notes in a Michelin 3-star restaurant, I'm on the golf course, embarrassing myself. Some years back before my wife's double hip-replacement, we were state ranked in doubles tennis and almost made it to Forest Hills. Hope to get back into that.

Avitar in progress.

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Cheers from Sunny Arizona

Postby Wheat King » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:02 pm

I’m probably the senior member here

After reading your intro. I'd reword that to say "most experienced" member here.

Welcome Bill!
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:08 am

Yes, a big welcome. :-5
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:01 am

Welcome Bill from another "senior" member. Sounds like you had a terrific and interesting career, but as you say we are always learning. You will find lots of good people here.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:59 am

Welcome once again Bill, very happy to have you on board.
You would be surprised at the number of professionals that are part of this community.
Many are retired from their days in movies or TV, but have lots of experience :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:15 am

You certainly do bring a wealth of experience and skills with you, Hunt. And we're glad to have you a part of our little community.

What a life story too!

Strangely, many people assume, when they come aboard, that they're older than most -- but, from what I see, the typical video maker is well into his or her 40's and 50's, so you may not be as much older than the rest of us as you might think! (Although, if you were slicing 2 inch video with a razor blade, you have definitely been around the block a few times!)

We hope you'll share some of your work in our Gallery. And, if you feel really inspired, we hope you'll enter one of our regular contests. Thanks to the success of this site, we're able to give away some terrific prizes!

In fact, if you check out the top of this forum, you'll see information on our current contest.

Welcome aboard!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 am

As one of the "kids" around here (I'm "only" 36 and have been doing professional video work for just over a year), I'd like to welcome you to our community. I also want to thank you for the helpful posts you've already made here, and I'm sure you'll be a great asset along with the rest of our highly knowledgeable contributors and ex-industry types.

Glad to have you aboard! :-5
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:03 am

Welcome Bill to Muvipix! Very happy to have someone with your experience and would also like to see some of your work. I have read some of your posts on the Adobe forum and have been helpful to many. And thanks for your replies on the PrPro threads here!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby VernonRobinson » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:07 pm

Welcome Bill,
What an awesome resume. Love to learn some of the basics from you. You will find this group is quick to help.

All the best,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Kerrie » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:57 pm

Welcome Bill. Another wonderful addition to the Muvipix Community!
Kerrie

Dell Vostro Laptop; 2.2 GHz, core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, 2x160 gig 7200 rpm HDs
Kerrie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby ridon127 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Glad to have you hear.. This is the best place for learning and sharing.
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Cinde » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Welcome to our community. You will find what you need here. Perhaps you will soon share some of your work with us.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bill Hunt » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Wow, this welcome was highly unexpected. Thank you all. I do not get this sort of welcome, when I arrive at an event for some of the charities that I sponsor - even if my wife is the Event Chairperson!!

I'm looking forward to learning from this community. I was informed of it, when I started reading the Adobe PE fourm, as I had just acquired that program to supplement my other NLE's, P-Pro2 being my main one. I really appreciated the hand-holding, as I explored the new program. Even though it is has a lot in common with PP2, there are enough differences, that I feel like a newbie. The responses there have been so very helpful, and no one has yet to throw a stone at me for asking such basic questions. I see that many of the subscribers there, are also here.

I appreciate the invitation to submit to the gallery and also to try my hand with the contests. I’m still learning the layout here, and will explore a bit, as I come up to speed. We’ll be in the air for most of the Summer and early Autumn, but I’ll see what I can come up with.

Again, thank you. You have managed to make me blush!

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rolawren » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:30 pm

Hello from Robyn. You certainly sound like you have a lot of experience. When I first read your name I thought you were Bill Hunter, one of Australia's best known actors - over the years. But it sounds like you might have similar experience behind the camera or video camera.

Regards,

Robyn
rolawren
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bill Hunt » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Robyn,

Interesting that you mention actors. My wife is Linda Hunt. As she travels the world on business, she often has a car pick her up at the airport. There's the driver, all decked out in his uniform, waving a sign, "Linda Hunt." When she walks up, the comment is usually along the lines of, "Oh... I had expected the actress... !" I tell them that if they notice, my Linda Hunt is much more attractive, even if she does not have an Oscar to her name. That usually gets us all off on the right foot.

Some day, I'll have to get the two together to swap stories. I'd wager that should the actress be in Phoenix, she'd be met with, "Oh... but you're not the Linda Hunt that I know... "

Thanks for the welcome,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Introductions