They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

What are some features of "DVD authoring" programs

Discussions on third party software for the final creation of DVD including Nero, Roxio, DVD Architect, Magix, Ulead, etc...

What are some features of "DVD authoring" programs

Postby Gerry » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:40 pm

(Ok, I'll start since I brought it up).

I'm familiar with PE2's DVD authoring capabilities, but when I need to create a DVD with multiple menus I'll save my movie as an AVI and bring it into (horrors!) Premiere Studio 10 and do my menus and burning from there.

That's the extent of my knowledge of DVD authoring.

So what do programs like Nero (and presumably others) offer besides multiple menus that makes them so special?[/i]
Gerry
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:01 pm

I'm not sure if it is so often that they do more, but rather that people can burn a DVD using them. There are more than a few people that cannot burn a DVD in Premiere Elements.

Some of the other features to look for might be;
Play a clip before the menu.
Better Menu Templates.
As you stated, multiple menus.
Ability to create or change buttons.

I'm sure there are others.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Jayell » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:17 pm

I have no problem burning in PE2 .. but I use an old version of Sonic My DVD LE (V4.5) so I can then burn multiple copies. For some reason it drops out the DVD menus created in PE2, however, so I have to create a new one in Sonic My DVD. The Roxio/Sonic version (which now includes Record Now) that came with my new computer won't allow that without upgrading ($$).
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Video Girl » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:10 pm

My only experience is with DVD Architect Studio 4.0. I really like it, especially for only $50. It seems like you can make a DVD completely customizable. Just like Chuck mentioned, you can have it play a clip before the menu appears and the menu templates and buttons are much easier to customize....down to even picking how the button is highlighted when selected or how the navigation works through the menus. I've never had a problem with it and it's been great to use so far. The learning curve is slighty high however, as the software isn't very intuitive. But once you get the gist, it's great software!
SPECS: 3.2 GHz Pentium dual core, 2 GB RAM, 256 MB nVidia GeForce 7800 Video Card, 250 GB internal hard drive, 500 GB external HD,
Windows XP Media Center running Premiere Elements 2.0
Video Girl
New User
New User

Postby lestra » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:33 am

Hello Video Girl,

Can You please tell me,how to create motion buttons in submenu in DVD Arch.4?

Bestt regards,
lestra
lestra
New User
New User

Postby Ronnie » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:01 pm

A few years back, I bought DVD-Lab. The basic version cost $99. I have never upgraded. It is very stable and lets my totally customize my DVDs. I mainly use it when my desired menu structure is more complicated than PrEl permits, or when I want to use my own graphics. Someday, I may upgrade to the studio version to get two audio tracks, subtitles, and play list. It supports layered files in the PSD format. It does not have an mpeg2 encoder, so I have to export my movie from PrEl as and MPEG2. It takes a little bit of time to learn, but all you need to learn it is the online help. I have found that it compliments Premiere 6.5 and Premiere Elements very well, and it is a joy to use.
Ronnie
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to DVD Authoring