They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

2008 Video Contest

A parking place for everything that relates to our contests and giveaways!

Re: 2008 Video Contest

Postby Chris B » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:05 pm

Sorry to come to this late but I have a suggestion.

Reference the discussions about tools:- You could try something like the Internet Ray Tracing Competition (http://www.irtc.org) in which the competition entries have to also send a text file containing some mandatory fields. This text file will be viewable along with the image by judges and the general public. This would allow judges and the public to consider how much a given tool helped the entry and - if they so choose - reflect that in their rating. Of course there would be no requirement to consider this and the file could simply be used for information/reference purposes.

Cribbing heavily from the IRTC site the file might contain something like this..

Mandatory Fields:
USERNAME: <Your Muvipix user name>
DECLARATION: I SUBMIT TO THE COMPETITION RULES
CATEGORY: <The category of the competition you are entering>
TITLE: <The Title of your creation>
SOFTWARE USED: <This would include PE, After effects, PSE, MSPaint ;) etc.>
Optional fields
DESCRIPTION:
<anything you want to say about your creation's content - location, actors, background, inspiration etc.>
HARDWARE USED: <PC Specs for rendering, video/still camera used , home made steadycam etc. - People are often interested in this>
DESCRIPTION OF HOW THIS ENTRY WAS CREATED:
<Description of how you created your entry, what techniques you used, what caused problems etc..>

Just a thought.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Chris B » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:10 pm

ridon127 wrote:O.K. IF I decide to enter the contest, would it be cheating if I asked a how to question to achieve a desired effect or are we on our own, so to speak??

I think you have to accept that if you offer advice or suggestions in a public forum then these will be taken up and used - and you're not going to be able to control what is done with them. If it's "cheating" to ask for help then surely any video that uses a technique that has been explained on the forums is "cheating" as well.

Remember - by asking for help about an effect you're showing your hand and sharing your idea with the other competition entrants! ;)

Chris.
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby Doreen L. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:19 pm

I like your idea Chis's about the information on the entry. I think it would help in judging and I think people are interested.

I also agree with you about asking for help. There have been effects in the past that people have stated were learned from a tutorial from someplace else. And I have no problem with someone asking for help in accomplishing a technique.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Rockdoc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:47 pm

I also like putting in the information about the entries.

I agree with Doreen and the others as well. Asking for help executing a technique should be fine. The contest is about the execution of techniques in order to tell the story. Even a step by step tutorial about a technique where everyone used the same files and followed all the steps would be different for each person that tried it. Getting some help in the forum would help improve the ability to execute a technique, but the result would still be the individual creator's work, and that is the basis on which they would be judged - how well they used the effects to tell a story.

Every video tells a story. Some are about people, places, events. Some are about effects. Some are told well, some are not. That is where the competition lies. :)
Rockdoc
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanks Chris. I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't be wrong to ask for help..
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:34 am

The goal is to put together the best possible video. If there is an effect that would make it the best, but you don't know how to do it, then you need to get help.
Having someone show you how is one thing, asking someone to do it for you is something else. Not that you can't team up with someone if you like, but you need to enter the contest as a team.

We haven't had a lot of rules in the past and things have worked out ok. We will need to put together some guidelines and rules that will provided everyone with a pleasant experience and one that we will all learn something from. The goal here is to stretch everyone a bit and to learn something new :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:31 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:...We will need to put together some guidelines and rules that will provided everyone with a pleasant experience and one that we will all learn something from. The goal here is to stretch everyone a bit and to learn something new :)

Absolutely! That's what I like about this site -- the right attitude!! =D>
Bob

Postby Greg mgm » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Maybe I missed it, but can we submit more than one video for the contest, or is it one entry per person?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm

You can submit as many entries as you like :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Previous

Return to muvipix Contests