They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Talk about anything here.

Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby videovillageidiot » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:02 pm

58 days and counting down to the total solar eclipse on April 8.

Anybody have plans for that event? Cheryl, I know you watched the 2017 eclipse, and you could get another opportunity there this time, too. If you head to Mexico, the path goes through parts of that country as well. I traveled to watch from a mountaintop in Wyoming in 2017, but won't travel this year - I'm burning all my vacation time right now, recovering from my neck 'oopsie'.

Here's a link to a map that shows the path ... https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

The path of totality (the POT) is narrow but goes over many large cities from Texas to Maine - and even includes Niagara Falls!

If anyone goes, please post what you capture, though I highly recommend setting up a camera to shoot without your intervention. Like everyone else on the mountain, I was overwhelmed during the 2017 eclipse and, though I was glad I have video to remember the experience, part of me wishes I had just stood there and 'felt' it.
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby Peru » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:11 pm

I hadn't thought about filming it, but I suppose I should research how to do that.
The bed and breakfasts and other accommodations are at capacity now for that event.
User avatar
Peru
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3697
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Peru, NY, USA

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby momoffduty » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:05 pm

The last time the eclipse was near us in St Louis was 2017. We drove an hour south to a fairground to watch. I don't have any special filters or equipment. I shot a little video and took a few snaps of the crowd. It took us almost 3 hours to get home because of traffic. I'm not sure where we will watch this time, but again not taking any photos of the eclipse. It was so strange to have night time at 2 in the afternoon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
User avatar
momoffduty
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 7606
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am
Location: near St. Louis

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:42 am

I've never seen a total eclipse. That photo of yours is really captures how eerie it must be, Cheryl.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
User avatar
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 14451
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby momoffduty » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:15 pm

St Louis had a partial eclipse in the 1990s. The eerie part is how the birds go silent. At the fairgrounds it was noisy with people and a few cars had their lights on. I think next time I will find a cemetery to park and view. Or maybe the side of a road by a corn field.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
User avatar
momoffduty
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 7606
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am
Location: near St. Louis

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:53 pm

:eek: Now that sounds very scary Cheryl :-8 You might need someone to save you :SS:

Be sure to make "Smart" choices :)

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
User avatar
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Posts: 18156
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:58 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby videovillageidiot » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:27 pm

momoffduty wrote:St Louis had a partial eclipse in the 1990s. The eerie part is how the birds go silent. At the fairgrounds it was noisy with people and a few cars had their lights on. I think next time I will find a cemetery to park and view. Or maybe the side of a road by a corn field.


That's funny you mention a corn field. When I watched the 2017 eclipse we were in extreme western Wyoming and the eclipse approached through Idaho. I believe we were seeing potato fields in the distance. I originally thought it would be awesome to see the eclipse with mountains all around but, actually, the potato fields allowed us to see the shadow approach, unobstructed. I was amazed at how you could still see things clearly until just before totality and, after, the light returned just as quickly as it had disappeared. Someone in my video below comments that just after totality the light looked artificial, and I thought the same thing; sort of a flat gray type of light both before and after.

I don't remember birds, but we were at a high elevation and I'm not sure how many hang out on the mountaintop normally. I do remember the temperature dropped as the eclipse progressed. The summit is 9862 feet so by totality it was cold up there.

I, too, had hoped it would be quiet, but when totality began, everyone just let loose. Those aren't my howls in the video, but I certainly gasped several times! It was an incredibly emotional experience.

I shot on auto so my camera probably tried to make up for the lack of light and the video doesn't really do justice to the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOuiM4Y2Dys
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:08 pm

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:07 am

Chuck Engels wrote::eek: Now that sounds very scary Cheryl :-8 You might need someone to save you :SS:

Be sure to make "Smart" choices :)



Corn fields are safe. Now the soy bean fields are sketchy :lol:
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
User avatar
momoffduty
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 7606
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am
Location: near St. Louis

Re: Anyone in Maine, near St. Louis or Peru, NY?

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

videovillageidiot wrote:
momoffduty wrote:St Louis had a partial eclipse in the 1990s. The eerie part is how the birds go silent. At the fairgrounds it was noisy with people and a few cars had their lights on. I think next time I will find a cemetery to park and view. Or maybe the side of a road by a corn field.


That's funny you mention a corn field. When I watched the 2017 eclipse we were in extreme western Wyoming and the eclipse approached through Idaho. I believe we were seeing potato fields in the distance. I originally thought it would be awesome to see the eclipse with mountains all around but, actually, the potato fields allowed us to see the shadow approach, unobstructed. I was amazed at how you could still see things clearly until just before totality and, after, the light returned just as quickly as it had disappeared. Someone in my video below comments that just after totality the light looked artificial, and I thought the same thing; sort of a flat gray type of light both before and after.

I don't remember birds, but we were at a high elevation and I'm not sure how many hang out on the mountaintop normally. I do remember the temperature dropped as the eclipse progressed. The summit is 9862 feet so by totality it was cold up there.

I, too, had hoped it would be quiet, but when totality began, everyone just let loose. Those aren't my howls in the video, but I certainly gasped several times! It was an incredibly emotional experience.

I shot on auto so my camera probably tried to make up for the lack of light and the video doesn't really do justice to the scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOuiM4Y2Dys


What a great place and view for the eclipse. Love your video! It was strange how you can see a sunset and then sunrise like quality on the horizon.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
User avatar
momoffduty
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 7606
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am
Location: near St. Louis


Return to Water Cooler 


Similar topics


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests