They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition

Talk about anything here.

Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:46 am

Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition is on display in the Bay Area. The traveling exhibition features 34 reproductions of the frescoes that adorn the Sistine Chapel, including The Creation of Adam and The Last Judgement. Looks like a cool exhibit to check out.

https://chapelsistine.com/

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel: The Exhibition

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:57 am

There's some pretty strange stuff in some of those if you pause and inspect :eek: . If this was close to me I'd probably want to go see it. It would be as close as I'll ever get to the real thing.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:48 pm

It would be as close as I'll ever get to the real thing.

Look's like San Jose is the last US stop before it heads over seas. And I agree same for me.

Sounds like this is a job "Videous Maximus Siddacus" :yh:

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby ed » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:25 pm

What a genius.
ed
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby sidd finch » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:47 pm

So went and saw the exhibit and it was pretty cool. They are Hi-Rez pictures that are printed 1-1 and are absolutely huge. There were 34 paintings and some of the were monstrous. The worst part of the exhibit was the aesthetics. After seeing the exhibit at different cities on YouTube the San Jose one was really drab. The pictures themselves were outstanding.

I was able to get some video but I realized that there is a lot of nudity in these paintings. I guess I will need the black out bar to keep things ok.

And the whole time I kept getting reminded of Mom and the Feet.... they were huge and no shoes.... Yes gots some shots of those too.... lol

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:08 pm

Well I got a chance to put together some clips of the exhibit. I was nice that as I was there we were encourage to take as many picture's that we would like. Had I known this I would have brought a selfie stick to get some better shots. I got there just as the exhibit opened and for the most part it was devoid of people which gave me a lot of time to roam and record video. This might warrant a return trip to record again.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:19 am

Those are amazing. Showing my ignorance, but I didn't know he was so prolific. I wonder why he created so many physically huge works. Nice editing job, too, Sidd. You spent some time on this one. ::CLAP:

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:11 pm

I wonder why he created so many physically huge works. Nice editing job, too, Sidd. You spent some time on this one.

Thank you Dave the video did take a little bit of time. Since I was almost alone in there I tried to get some movement like you were walking around and had the ability to get up close. Glad you enjoyed watching.

This is what I found on why the figures are so big to begin with:

The paintings are oriented so that to view them right-side-up, the viewer must be facing the altar on the far side of the altar wall. The sequence begins with Creation, above the altar, and progresses toward the entrance-side of the chapel on the other side of the room.

Realizing that the figures were too small to serve their purpose on the ceiling, he decided to adopt larger figures in his subsequent frescoed scenes. Thus, as the paintings moved toward the altar side of the chapel, the figures are larger as well as more expressive of movement. Two of the most important scenes on the ceiling are his frescoes of the Creation of Adam and the Fall of Adam and Eve/Expulsion from the Garden.

I also read that he painted the figures representing God last so that he had plenty of practice with the other figures.

Here is the map of the paintings:

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:16 pm

Very interesting! Thanks Sidd.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:49 am

One of the tings I liked is that they had a free app you could download. Then at each painting you could scan the QR code and there would be an audio recording speaking about the painting you were viewing.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:22 am

sidd finch wrote:One of the tings I liked is that they had a free app you could download. Then at each painting you could scan the QR code and there would be an audio recording speaking about the painting you were viewing.

Sidd
That’s a neat idea. A technology update to the cassette players they used to give you.

Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:51 pm

I realized that I took pictures of each painting description. The include a QR code. If I can I might try to create a master with each QR code that you can checkout the audio.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:39 am

Waiting for the audio Sidd. :-D
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby sidd finch » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:03 pm

I'm sorry I did not follow up. If you download the free app all the paintings recordings are in the app. You can select the paintion portion and it will play the related audio. Good catch.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:38 am

I like this a lot. Especially the map of the ceiling. While there's nothing like the real thing, there's a lot to be said for experiencing it up close and in great detail.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Water Cooler