They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Trouble syncing video-audio

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2021

Re: Trouble syncing video-audio

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:59 pm

Can you also share with me the MediaInfo report on your original DVD's VOB files? I'm seeing some strange indications here that could be the key to all of this.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:31 pm

Per your request, I've attached the MediaInfo report for one of the VOB files. This certainly has been challenging. Sorry that it's taking so much of your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Computer: iBUYPOWER with i7-7700 CPU AT 3.60 gHZ AND 16GB Ram, Windows 10, 64-Bit OS.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:07 am

This is very strange. Whoever digitized your video as a DVD digitized it at the very non-standard resolution of 352x480 instead of 640x480 or even 720x480. This is compounded by the variable bit rate and AC3 audio. But it's really the resolution that's the real bug here.

It is likely at the core of your problems with these files.

Was this digitizing done by a professional?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:55 am

Yes. I sent the VHS tapes to a company called "PhotoBin" years ago. I don't believe that company is in business anymore.
Computer: iBUYPOWER with i7-7700 CPU AT 3.60 gHZ AND 16GB Ram, Windows 10, 64-Bit OS.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:14 am

I don't know why they did what they did. Usually pros give pro results.

Anyway, to fully fix the problems, you'll need two things BEFORE you start editing:
1) Resize the video.
2) Deal with out of sync.

I'd recommend that you first convert the video with Handbrake, using my recommended specs, to give it a constant frame rate. Then add that video to a Premiere Elements project set up for 720x480 4:3. Add your complete, converted video to it, ensure that it fills the frame, then output it as standard definition 720x480 AVI or MP4. (If someone knows how to do this is less than two steps, I'd like to hear it.)

This will give you video you can work with. Sorry that that's so convoluted, but it's the simplest way around what your digitizing company did. (Not entirely their fault. They just assumed you only wanted to watch the video, not edit it.)

One other solution worth exploring is to use another video editor. Windows comes with a nice one called simply Video Editor. It's not terribly deep, but it can work with just about any video. It might be worth seeing if it can do what you need. If nothing else, it might work as a one-step video converter for making video you can edit in Premiere Elements.

Windows 11 also has a more professional web-based video editor we can also look at called ClipChamp. But let's see what the basic editor does first, if you want to go that route.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:21 am

Thanks so much for the guidance. I will keep this with my "home-made" Adobe Premiere Elements "How To Do" binder. You are a huge help.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:33 am

I just wish the answers were simpler, Mario.

Hopefully next time they will be.

Meantime, it might help if you put your computer specs in as your signature, as I've done. It will save us asking if you decide to explore your other issues. Just click the User Control Panel at the top of any forum page and then look for the Profile tab, then select Signature.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:53 am

I have just entered my PC specs in the signature profile. Thanks again.

As follow up to your last suggestions, I tried Video Editor and ClipChamp. Both imported the VOB and converted to MP4, but they don't have an option to change the frame rate. Wondershare does convert VOB and allows you to change the frame rate in the output settings. Premiere did not accept the VOB file and for some reason this time Handbrake reported and error and failed. It worked fine before. Also, I rendered one of the clips in my timeline and the bar turned green as expected. I thought you'd like some feedback on your last suggestions. I think I'm moving forward with success. Thanks again.
mcontini
New User
New User

Previous

Return to Premiere Elements 2021