They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Trouble syncing video-audio

Specific to Premiere Elements version 2021

Trouble syncing video-audio

Postby mcontini » Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:56 pm

I have Premiere Elements 2021, but can't get my audio and video containing three or four clips to sync unless I do each clip manually (unlink, adjust a track, cut off excess, relink). I've viewed your video lesson on using Handbrake to change the Variable Frame Rate to Constant, but it hasn't worked each time I tried. Here's what I did. I exported my Premiere Elements video to an MP4 file as indicated in your training video, then loaded it into Handbrake, clicked the frame rate to "Constant" to convert it to a Constant Frame Rate, and then imported it back into Elements, but the orange line was still appeared and the later parts of the video were still out of sync with audio.

You replied to my comment on the training video saying that I should not need to involve Handbrake in the process, which I didn't understand since that was the purpose of the video. You suggested that instead I should just export my Elements video to MP4 then import it back into Premiere Elements without converting it with Handbrake to a "constant frame rate." So, I tried that, too. Guess what! The orange line was no longer there when I imported the "unconverted" file back into Premiere Elements, ***BUT*** the video was still out of sync in the same clips as before. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate your guidance. Thanks.
Computer: iBUYPOWER with i7-7700 CPU AT 3.60 gHZ AND 16GB Ram, Windows 10, 64-Bit OS.
mcontini
New User
New User

Re: Trouble syncing video-audeo

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:16 pm

I'm a bit confused by your workflow, Mario. If you use Handbrake to convert your video, you should do it to your original source video BEFORE you add it to Premiere Elements. Running your finished video through Handbrake doesn't really accomplish anything.

Where is your original video coming from?

Open your original in the free download MediaInfo. In MediaInfo, set View to Text and then copy the complete text of the report it generates and paste it here to this forum. With this detailed information we'll better be able to advise you how to work with your video.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Trouble syncing video-audio

Postby mcontini » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:40 pm

Steve, as usual you are a great help. You are right. I used the Premiere Elements video file that I exported as a mp4 rather than the originals. So, from now on I'll "first" check originals in MediaInfo to determine if they are variable or constant and use Handbrake to convert the variable ones to constant.

I have attempted to keep all of the files for a specific project in its own folder on a flash drive. It appears I may not have done that well when first starting to use Premiere as several ended up in the Premier default folder C:\user\myname\video directory. I suppose I can move them or simply delete them once the project is done. Is that correct?

One last question: My captures were done from DVD's and also from VHS Tape and 8mmVideo Tape. It seems Handbrake doesn't like files captured from DVD's. Is that correct? I'm going to go through the Handbrake manual again to see what I can glean from it as well. Thanks for your guidance as I fumble through learning how to do this.
Computer: iBUYPOWER with i7-7700 CPU AT 3.60 gHZ AND 16GB Ram, Windows 10, 64-Bit OS.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:34 pm

:meet:

mcontini wrote: several ended up in the Premier default folder C:\user\myname\video directory. I suppose I can move them or simply delete them once the project is done. Is that correct?

Will you ever need to open and edit the project file again?
Which files are you referring to? If they are the preview files, Premiere Elements will recreate them if needed.
Peru

Postby mcontini » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:20 pm

Peru, thanks for you reply. I doubt I'll need to reopen the project files after I export them to MP4 to share. However, there might be a chance that I'll want to so I can make updates
(1) Is it best to save all files for a specific project in a dedicated folder just in case?
(2) Does Handbrake work with captured DVD filed with the extension .vob. It's documentation implies it does, but it didn't when I tried it. If so, is it necessary to always capture in MP4 or some format compatible with Handbrake?

Thank you. Your team's help is fabulous.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Peru » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:35 pm

mcontini wrote:(1) Is it best to save all files for a specific project in a dedicated folder just in case?

Yes. It would make it easier to relink the media. Save the project file(s) and all media used in the project.
Peru

Postby mcontini » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:44 pm

Thanks again. It appears I have been able to drag DVD capture .vob files into Handbrake as well. Again, you guys are tremendous help.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:35 pm

Are we answering your questions, Mario? I feel like you're asking new questions before we've fully resolved your older questions.

Have you solved the issue with Handbrake and your out of sync video yet? If not let's stay with that before we go on to other questions.

I feel like we've already got several conversations going on at once here.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:15 am

Steve, I think what's happening is that I try each suggestion and then get back to you or your team with results. The help has been tremendous and I greatly appreciate it. For some reason, though, I am still having a problem. I have 5 family VHS videos that I had professionally transferred to DVD's years ago. I am finally getting time to use Premiere Elements to transfer them to flash drives. My goal is to give each of our children a flash drive so they can enjoy a bit of nostalgia for years to come. Here are the steps I've taken so far:

1) I copied all 5 DVD's to the master flash drive, each to its own folder. For now I'm focusing on editing the first one.

2) The first one, DVD#1, was saved to my flash drive into a unique folder named "SOURCE FILES from DVD1". It saved as four files (VTS_1_1.VOB, VTS_1_2.VOB, VTS_1_3.VOB, AND VTS_1_4.VOB.

3) Then, I used MediaInfo to see if the files were variable frames or constant frame rate. They were variable (MediaInfo did not indicate "Constant", but instant displayed a "Peak" frame rate. So, I assumed that meant they were variable. To test that, I loaded a known "constant frame rate" file into MediaInfo and it indicated it was "constant."

4) Next, I using Handbrake, I converted each of the four files, one-at-a-time, clicking the "Constant" option, and saved them to a new folder called "SOURCE Converted to Constant Frame Rate MP4". It took a while because each of the files were about 1GB each, totaling 3.9GB. After the conversion they totaled 2.9GB (1 GB less than the original total).

5) Finally, I used the Premiere Elements 2021 "Video Importer" to import them onto the timeline. That also took a long time, but they imported fully, just not in the order by date sequence which I could adjust later. HERE'S THE PROBLEM, THE ORANGE LINE ON TOP STILL REMAINS. So, it appears the audio-video is still out of sync even though the files were converted to "contant" MP4. I've attached a screen MediaInfo screen shot of the first file "AFTER" conversion to show that is did convert to "Constant." All 4 files "after" conversion show "Constant" in MediaInfo. I am going to input them again into another New Project to see if another try makes a different, but this time I'm going to do it one file at-a-time. Is there anything you see in my process that I'm doing incorrectly?

I'm so sorry for taking so much of your time on this. It looked so good in your training video, much better than trying to do it manually. Thanks so much for your patience with me. By the way, I tried to submit this a couple time, but got a message that the server is temporarily unavailable. I hope it goes through.

Mario
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:47 am

I'm a little confused, Mario. Your MediaInfo report is for an MP4 -- but you're working with VOB files from a DVD, aren't you?

How are your VOB files becoming MP4s?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:09 am

The four VOB files are the originals copied from the DVD's totalling 5hr40min (nearly 4GB). They are the files I dragged into HANDBRAKE one-at-a-time where the framerate on each indicated as "Peak Framerate." I left the Video Encoder option at H.264 (x2654) and started the encoding. The outcome was "constant framerate" MP4 files totaling about 3GB. It is one of those "post conversion" files that the MediaInfo text I attached to the earlier reply is referencing, not the original VOB files.

When I used the Premiere Importer to import the "post conversion" MP4 files into Premiere Elements, the "Orange" line remained, but the audio and video synchronized. A new issue emerged in the Premiere audio track. The audio waves did not display, but the sound plays fine and is synced. In researching that on the web, it seems numerous people have had that experience. Most solutions for that refer to Premiere Pro, but I have Premiere Elements. Some say "Rendering" is required to solve the problem. So, I'll try that later today unless you have a better suggestion. You and your team are amazing. Thanks so much for the help and especially your patience. UPDATE: I NOTICED THAT I HAD IMPORTED THE FILES TO TRACK 3. WHEN I DRAGGED THEM TO TRACK 1 AND WIDENED THE TRACK VERTICALLY. THE SOUND WAVES CAME BACK. Still have an Orange Line, though.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 pm

Once again, Mario, you're zooming off on other issues before we've resolved the first! :o

Please can we just focus on one issue at a time.

First, there was likely no need to convert the files in the first place. If they are the first video files you add to your timeline, Premiere Elements should match them and you can edit them as is. Converting them with Handbrake should not be necessary. DVD files normally don't use variable frame rates. I'm assuming that these are DVDs that were created by a DVD authoring program. If they're commercial DVDs or DVDs from a camcorder, that's another issue.

But in most cases, the program will edit DVD VOBs as is. In fact, as I show you in my books, you can use Premiere Elements to rip files directly from DVDs and edit them in the very same project!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:14 pm

Steve, I know I keep jumping around, but I've been trying to resolve issues as I incur them. At this point, I think everything is resolved except the orange line, which I can live with. I'm not sure why, but when I originally tried to import the DVD files directly, they were out of sync and that's why I used Handbrake. The DVD's were transfers from family films I took years ago on a camcorder which may explain why they were out of sync. Handbrake put them back in sync perfectly. As far as the orange line goes, I've read that rendering may fix that, but also read that rendering is unnecessary. In any case, even though it was a jumble of issue, your help has been tremendous and think everything is resolved. Given what I've learned, I'll work on the remaining videos, hopefully with no or minimal issues and I'll live with the orange line. Again - you've been a huge help thanks.
mcontini
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:57 am

I assume a professional transferred your old films or videos to a DVD for you. If so, based on what you've told me, I'm surprised the DVD does not play out of sync.

But if Handbrake solves that issue, I'm glad.

Did you use the Handbrake settings I recommended in my tutorial? If so, I'm surprised you're seeing the orange line. If you look under the program's Edit menu, what is listed on the General page under Project Settings?

Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby mcontini » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:24 pm

Steve, it seems you never take a well-deserved rest. I commend you on your dedication. I have attached the project settings as you requested. I believe I followed your video for using Handbrake carefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcontini
New User
New User

Next

Return to Premiere Elements 2021