They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

"C" Drive crashed, what is best way to restore catalogs?

User discussion concerning all that's Photoshop Elements (all versions).

"C" Drive crashed, what is best way to restore catalogs?

Postby kenskopp » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:55 am

Hello,

I have never understood how PSE2021 restores catalogs. Windows 10 Pro crashed. My "C" drive had to be restored with new download of Windows 10. I currently have a separate internal 3T HDD "D". On the "D" drive I have all my photo and videos folders, plus my five catalogs are backed up on "D". The file structure is "D"/adobe Backup/Family/Family Catalog 1, "backup.tly". My other 4 catalogs "General", "Military", Trips", and "Trains" have similar structure. I have backed up my "Family Catalog 1" by selecting the "backup.tly" file. Now that catalog is in my Organizer all of the photos show a "?". They are not connected. I have found that I must select on album, then deselect all files from catalog and import them back into the album. Since I have 100s of albums in five catalogs, there must be an easier way to set things up.
I have been using PSE since version 10. Adobe has lousy help. Nowhere have I found information on how Adobe does its catalogs and back up process. Please give me guidance on how to set up my backup program.

I notice in PSE2021 a new option upon exiting which is "auto save". If i use it, what does it do? The next time I have to reset my computer to factory default, I wish I had a cleaner, easier way to reconstruct my Organizer.

I do have two external drives that I back up my two internal drives.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: "C" Drive crashed, what is best way to restore catalogs?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:01 pm

First, Ken. Let me give you my sympathy. A hard drive crash is a terrible thing!

But at least you had all your media files backed up. What software did you use to back up these files? Was it the Organizer's backup system or Windows' or some other system?

I've never had to restore a mess like this, but I hope it's easier than what you describe!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kenskopp » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:02 pm

Now I am more confused. I did a restore of my "Family Catalog 1" in the organizer. Now in my "C" drive under Adobe/...../Catalog Ihave a file named "Family Catalog 1" Also, I tried the "Auto Save" upon exiting the Organizer. In this same Catalog folder now there is a new file with a long numeric name.
So my basic question is what is the best way to arrange backups so that when my "C" drive crashes again I will have minimal work in restoring my Organizer and five catalogs. Any guidance will be appreciated. Thank you.
Intel Core i7-4770 (3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache), Windows 10, One 1TB internal SSD drive (C) and 1 3TB internal drive (E), 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT720, 16GB DDR3-1600MHz, 16GB mSATA SSD Cache, Two External Hard Drives: 3TB (K) and 1TB (H).
kenskopp
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:08 pm

I hope someone has a better answer than I do.

I don't use the Organizer to back up my files. Instead I back up my whole computer with software that does automatic incremental backups a couple of times a week. If/When my computer crashes, I'll just restore the entire drive, catalog and all, and expect the Organizer to be none the wiser.

But there must be more to it than that.

Any experts out there with some insight?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:08 am

Sorry your drive crashed, I had something like that happen a couple of years ago too.

You might consider having a dedicated backup program as Steve suggests to back everything up in case it happens again. Also if the drive crashed you might consider replacing that drive. No need to get everything installed again and have the crash continue to happen.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:47 am

There is a good range of backup software out there.

I have used Macrium Reflect for many years now. I use the paid version (a one-off payment not an annual subscription) but there is a free version which provides basic backup and restore functionality.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

One that is recommended for consideration on your shortlist. :)
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Peru » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:56 am

I've been using the free AOMEI:
https://www.aomeitech.com/download.html
Peru

Return to Photoshop Elements